A very delicate situation

This is a discussion on A very delicate situation within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I attended a training class this weekend at the Firearms Academy of Seattle. I am going to be writing up a few threads on it. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A very delicate situation

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

A very delicate situation

I attended a training class this weekend at the Firearms Academy of Seattle. I am going to be writing up a few threads on it.

Now, I have no hesitation to say that I hardly know much about this self defense thing. I have asked a lot of questions and gotten some very good advice. But one situation did come up at the training that I have never seen written up and, well, frankly, I just do not know how to handle, so I am asking for some advice.

There were 14 people in the class and of those 14, we had 4 woman. An unusually large percentage according to the instructors. We were all told to bring safety goggles, baseball cap and some type of hearing protection. Pretty standard stuff. But what they did not mention was what type of shirt to wear.

One of the women, on the first day, wore a very low cut V neck t-shirt. Well, as you can imagine, it didn’t take very long before one of those hot casings from her gun went up and came straight down the front of her shirt. She started dancing around and doing all the “normal” things we do when a hot casing falls down our clothing.

As it turns out, I was standing to her right on the firing line and saw the whole thing. The question I have is what should I have done? My first impulse was to help her but how? Several scenarios ran through my head and none of them ended well. The casing went from point A to point B, if you know what I mean, and it just kept getting worse. I felt so sorry for her, but just didn’t quite know what to do.

Any suggestions?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Keep your hands to your self. She has a gun.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I would maybe try to relieve her of her weapon so she can use both hands to remove the hot brass.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post

Best answer... EVAR!
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Moderator
    Hand her a bandana and explain to her that its for the "Hot Brass Dance" and tell her to wrap it around her neck.

She'll probably remember what if felt like and thank you for your thoughtfullness. I've done it several times over the years, and never had anything other than postive comments. Of course, it's all in your communication skills.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Exactly. By the way....where was that pistol's muzzle pointing while she was doing 'the dance'?

Hopefully in that scenario she maintains muzzle discipline and other than offering to kiss the boo boo better not much you really can do
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Exactly. By the way....where was that pistol's muzzle pointing while she was doing 'the dance'?
    She actually did a very good job of keeping her finger off the trigger and pointing the muzzle in a safe direction.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I would maybe try to relieve her of her weapon so she can use both hands to remove the hot brass.
    I agree, that would be the safest course.

The instructor did not do his job. That was a safety risk that should had ended in her putting another shirt one that wouldn't allow such a thing and at least help greatly in preventing this from happening.

Any class I have ever been in the happy brass dance was covered. Sounds like she at least did a nice job keeping things together with her weapon. Nothing you can really do either.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I would have jumped up and down and screamed that hot casings can cause permanent damage if not extracted immediately...

"Do I have permission to assist you in preventing permanent scaring and shell poisoning?"

"Ahhh, my hero..."

Stay armed...always be willing to assist...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Offering to take control of her pistol allowing her to use both hands in clearing the malfunction would be about all I can do as an immediate action drill.

Don't let her turn and point the muzzle at you as she is quickly handing off her pistol.

What I have done once in the past is come up behind and next to them and stated "let me take the pistol" and reach around and take hold of it while they still had their arm extended and pointed somewhat down range.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

First time that happened to my girlfriend she just gritted her teeth and got a little scar. Impressed the heck out of me -- she didn't even mention it at the time.

But - agreed that the instructor should have alerted her to the danger ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    First time that happened to my girlfriend she just gritted her teeth and got a little scar. Impressed the heck out of me -- she didn't even mention it at the time.

But - agreed that the instructor should have alerted her to the danger ahead of time.
    She's a keeper!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I've had brass go down my shirt in every class I've ever taken and each time it was from the shooter to my left. But I've also never had a range officer or class instructor brief us on what to do. Its part of gun safety - keep the muzzle off anything you aren't willing to destroy. Whats unfortunate is that most teachers don't go over this. Hell, it hardly ever occurs to me when I'm teaching new shooters. It /should/ be discussed.

Each time I just gritted my teeth and took my finger off the trigger while I dug it out. It only hurts for a second - but thats a LONG second. haha
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links