I am going insane!

This is a discussion on I am going insane! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I went down to my FFL dealer again (2nd time this month) to get a price quote for an order on a Springfield Armory 1911A1 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am going insane!

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I am going insane!

I went down to my FFL dealer again (2nd time this month) to get a price quote for an order on a Springfield Armory 1911A1 Black Stainless. I have been wanting and drooling over this gun since I saw it once in a sporting goods store. All I have to do now is wait a few more months and I will have the money to buy one. I hate waiting, but I know it will be worth it in the end.

Has anyone else ever gone mad over a gun that is hard to find?

They quoted me about 879 for it, does that seem about right for a Springfield Loaded model?

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

Yeah I know exactly what you are dealing with. Little different situation here but the same feeling!

I had a deadbeat customer- we settled - I'd forget about the bill if he would give me three items from his colletcion. These require the full ATF, NFA, and proctological background check. I'm on week 4 and figure at least another 12 before papers clear.

Argh, tick, tick, tick, tick.......

Be careful about admitting you are insane...you'll never pass the background check when you save up the cash!
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Yes only one time this for 12 weeks for a Taurus 45-10. also call The Judge.
    You will get it .....

Geo.

The SA Loaded in black stainless is beautiful. I am torn between getting one of these or getting the full size lightweight bi-tone.

(AND NO I AM NOT getting "one of each")
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    The SA Loaded in black stainless is beautiful. I am torn between getting one of these or getting the full size lightweight bi-tone.

(AND NO I AM NOT getting "one of each")
    Depends on if you want a light weight or not. If you plan to carry it daily then I'd think about hard on the light weight model. If not then I'd get the stainless model. The weight difference is quite a bit when all day carrying.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

JD
    Administrator
    $879 is a decent price IMHO, costs will vary from area to area, and given that it's' a not in stock item requiring a special order, I can see $879, $750-$850 is the norm, but as stated that all depends on location.

VIP Member

May I make a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I have been wanting and drooling over this gun since I saw it once in a sporting goods store. All I have to do now is wait a few more months and I will have the money to buy one.
    With absolutely NO disrespect intended or implied, may I make a suggestion which perhaps you will not like?

Please think twice and three times before purchasing a gun or any other item which is perhaps out of your price comfort zone and requires you to scrimp and save for.

Of course, saving for it is FAR better than using a credit card or doing some other type of borrowing, but if money is really tight, think about the better uses to which it might be put.

(I'm writing this on an assumption that you are a young person with limited experience in handling your finances. If you are more experienced, and know what you are doing, then please don't take offense and accept what I am writing in the well intentioned manner it is intended.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    With absolutely NO disrespect intended or implied...Please think twice and three times before purchasing a gun or any other item which is perhaps out of your price comfort zone and requires you to scrimp and save for.
    This is exactly what I did. I just gave up some 'luxuries' that weren't necessary and put the money in my Family Firearm Fund . All those Starbuck's Coffee drinks really do add up, and taking a lunch from home instead of going out to eat also adds up. Although in fairness, my weapon of choice (SA XD45 4") was half the cost of the 1911.

And yet, I agree with Hopyard on this. Get an affordable reliable gun now and save up for the hot rod gun later. Better to have a gun now than have one later. My 2

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    Depends on if you want a light weight or not. If you plan to carry it daily then I'd think about hard on the light weight model. If not then I'd get the stainless model. The weight difference is quite a bit when all day carrying.

Ti
    Not wanting to hijack the thread any more than I have, the biggest issue is that the stainless is HEAVY compared to my compact daily carry piece.

BUT, the gun is going to be used for competition as well as sometimes carry so I am not sure that I can swing a HEAVY gun fast enough under control. The weight will help with recoil and target acquisition but I don't have that problem with my alloy compact now so I shouldn't have it with the 1911 either.

So, it's mainly a weight issue and I am undecided for that reason alone (well, the way it looks is part of the deal too).
    Last edited by Rob P.; July 29th, 2008 at 01:22 PM. Reason: fog in the morning

This is exactly what I am doing as well. I really would like to purchase the Taurus PT-1911 but it is just a bit out of my price range. Could I purchase it now? Sure, I could, but it would put a real hurting on me.

Instead, I am going with a Taurus Tracker Model 627 which is going to be more or less a "catch all" firearm for me. It is significantly cheaper than the PT1911. It will be my first "carry" firearm, even though it is a bit large for that. I won't carry it all the time, so it will spend a lot of time in my glove box in my vehicle and can be used as a defense firearm in that regard too. Then add to the fact that I can fire the .38 cal round which makes it more economical to shoot for practice.

See, I kill multiple birds with one stone. I get what I want, am able to provide for my needs and can better plan for future purchases.

I will be purchasing this particular gun with the money I get once a year from the great state of Alaska (Permanent Fund Dividend). My Glocks are my "all business" handguns, but I've been after this gun for two years now. I think it's about time I make it mine.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I am going insane!
    Check the fifth amendment in this case. Never tell anyone this unless you're prepared for a full 'evaluation'.

With absolutely NO disrespect intended or implied, may I make a suggestion which perhaps you will not like?

Please think twice and three times before purchasing a gun or any other item which is perhaps out of your price comfort zone and requires you to scrimp and save for.

Of course, saving for it is FAR better than using a credit card or doing some other type of borrowing, but if money is really tight, think about the better uses to which it might be put.

(I'm writing this on an assumption that you are a young person with limited experience in handling your finances. If you are more experienced, and know what you are doing, then please don't take offense and accept what I am writing in the well intentioned manner it is intended.)
    This was rather well put. Advice is good. Consider my advice the same.

After much debate, I think I'm going to hold off on getting a 900 dollar gun. Instead I'm just going to be patient, and save for more important things. I remember making the famous "idiot" mark on all three previous 1911s I've owned in the past. I would hate to do that to a 900 dollar one. The handguns I have now will serve me well for years to come, so I suppose other than adding another gun to the collection, I have no real practical need for another handgun.

Buy as many guns as you can before the election - also stock up on High cap Mags.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links