Mobile 1 motor oil to lube 1911 - Page 2

Mobile 1 motor oil to lube 1911

This is a discussion on Mobile 1 motor oil to lube 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been using Tuf-Cloth and Tuf-Glide products from Sentry Solutions for about 6 years or more. They offer great protection from corrosion. I use ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobile 1 motor oil to lube 1911

I have been using Tuf-Cloth and Tuf-Glide products from Sentry Solutions for about 6 years or more. They offer great protection from corrosion. I use these on knives, magazines, and all my guns. I like the fact that it dries so no worries about making a mess of your holster or clothing. It also collects less lint than oils. The lube should be good enough for all moving parts but I still like to use a small bit of CLP on my slide rails, barrel lockup area, and bushing on my 1911 for carry. I use more CLP at the range to keep the gun very well lubed. I have been thinking about trying the Mobile 1 after I run out of CLP. I am sure a quart of the Mobile 1 will last me quite a while.
    NRA Life Member

"All That Later"

Wow, good info Kentucky, I had no idea.

I use Militec, not sure if it contains Teflon or not...

Militec
    "When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    --Major General James Mattis, USMC

Semper Fi

I have been useing a 10W syn tranny fluid, for some time now on my HK. I've been wondering about the 10W30 and how it could effect the gun in reall cold climates. But there is that little thing about how the syn oil's keep their viscosity in the cold vs standard lubes. I do seem to remember a story about Korea and the gun lubes freezing in extreme conditions, also recently read a story about a hunter who lost a trophy shot becuse of his gun oil freezing. Syn oil isnot suppose to do this and I believe it, I run the 5W30 in my truck and it spins over like it's 70 in these Mi. sub 0 mornings.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Lead Moderator
    I wonder if motor oil might penetrate a little too well into ammo, especially reloads with no sealed primer.

Assistant Administrator
    Rocky - this should not be a problem - first off, the viscosity is well above that of ''penetrating'' oils and second - there should not IMO be anything like a surplus to risk this - less is more with gun lube IMO.

Also - if any lube at all in a mag - then for me merely a small amount of lithium grease - very little indeed and certainly, no oil in mag whatsoever.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by LeatherneckOIF2
    Wow, good info Kentucky, I had no idea.

I use Militec, not sure if it contains Teflon or not...

Militec
    I don't think Militec-1 contains Teflon, I switched to Militec and won't use anything else . It is a synthetic based lube that goes a long way (it's fairly expensive, ie I think I paid around $9 for a couple ounces).

Here's their description on the bottle:
    'A highly concentrated formula to reduce friction between all moving partsof weapons. Militec-1 bonds within the micro pores of the metal surface to provide long lasting protection against friction,corrosion and rust.Weapons remain lubricated after repeated firings with no build up of residue. Only a very small thin film of Militec-1 is needed. After cleaning weapon,wipe Militec-1 on insideand outside surfaces, including bore. '

According to other sources and literature on Militec-1, if weapon metal parts are coated and then heated (check sources for temp.), the lube will penetrate to pore spaces and bind with metal parts causing the lube function to last a very long time . (no, I'm not affiliated with them but it does seem to be very good product. I've read that our guys in Iraq write home to get family to send them some !)
    diplomacy ... the art of saying "nice doggie"..while looking for a big rock !!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J
    I have been useing a 10W syn tranny fluid, for some time now on my HK. I've been wondering about the 10W30 and how it could effect the gun in reall cold climates. But there is that little thing about how the syn oil's keep their viscosity in the cold vs standard lubes. I do seem to remember a story about Korea and the gun lubes freezing in extreme conditions, also recently read a story about a hunter who lost a trophy shot becuse of his gun oil freezing. Syn oil isnot suppose to do this and I believe it, I run the 5W30 in my truck and it spins over like it's 70 in these Mi. sub 0 mornings.
    If it worrys ya 10w30 is that thick use 5w30 mobile I but it wont matter ive used 10w30 Mobile one for years in winter

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky
    I don't think Militec-1 contains Teflon, I switched to Militec and won't use anything else . It is a synthetic based lube that goes a long way (it's fairly expensive, ie I think I paid around $9 for a couple ounces).

Here's their description on the bottle:
    'A highly concentrated formula to reduce friction between all moving partsof weapons. Militec-1 bonds within the micro pores of the metal surface to provide long lasting protection against friction,corrosion and rust.Weapons remain lubricated after repeated firings with no build up of residue. Only a very small thin film of Militec-1 is needed. After cleaning weapon,wipe Militec-1 on insideand outside surfaces, including bore. '

According to other sources and literature on Militec-1, if weapon metal parts are coated and then heated (check sources for temp.), the lube will penetrate to pore spaces and bind with metal parts causing the lube function to last a very long time . (no, I'm not affiliated with them but it does seem to be very good product. I've read that our guys in Iraq write home to get family to send them some !)

Ive not had good luck with mil tec on my Hk nor Ar-15 only time they have ever jammed even after doing there heat cycle relube etc etc ..

Now there Grease its good stuff but oil ill pass im sure i cant be only one had this problem

[QUOTE=Bud White]Ive not had good luck with mil tec on my Hk nor Ar-15 only time they have ever jammed even after doing there heat cycle relube etc etc ..

I have used it on my Bersa for ~2K rounds and can't find any wear between the slide and aluminum frame. Also on my Bushmaster M4.
    I have noticed though that unless ALL other lube and oil is removed first , the Militec-1 won't bond good to the metals, it kind of 'rolls off' the old regular oiled surfaces if any of the old remains . Also I heated the Bersa metal with a hot air gun for a while and this causes it to really bond and absorb. Even after 1000rds, I noticed there was still a very thin but still there coat of it still coated on all the surfaces. I personally think the main deal is to make completely sure all other lube is removed. Another way , albeit longer, is to really coat the parts heavy and let it 'soak' in for days or longer , then remove excess and apply a final very thin coat. Lucky I guess but I've yet to have a jam on either gun, ie the ~2K on the Bersa and close to 15K on the M4. Even my KelTec 32, notably a 'jammer', I've yet to have a FTF or a jam.
    diplomacy ... the art of saying "nice doggie"..while looking for a big rock !!

i tried the heat gun and all that and said screw it when Hk started jamming i striped it on range and cleaned it and relubed with oil and it ran fine ..

i had a shooting class next day and wasnt gonna fool with it anymore if it works for you good deal but ive had the oppsite luck 2 guns with no problems till i tried it was enough for me to say no thanks

Now there Grease its good stuff
    What about grease? Ive been told by some that its not a good option, but on the other hand I also hear a lot of good about Tetra slide grease.
    The slide, and other friction parts is my concern, when it comes to lube types.

For my taste Brian enos Slide Glide is the best grease out there you and get a nice thinner winter forumla that will allow the slide to work just find this stuff is slick

Used it last winter and this winter too took a 9 and 45 left them in cold all day went to range and shot 2 cold mags also though them no problems and just went on shooting

Assistant Administrator
    Greg - I don't know whether you followed my SIG ''saga" - but know what - grease was my problem!!

I used both Militec1 and Tetra greases - and after way too short of a time - the stuff behaved more like thick mollasses - way too much slide resistance and so malfunctions with std pressure ammo.

I rate both as greases but - from now on my 226 will get Militec1 oil only. I have yet to experiment with grease on 220 and later 228 - may be the effect is different on all ST or polymer and steel.

Anyways - I say beware the grease that builds up from crud - to become a hazard!
    Chris - P95

I saw abit of it during a search. I just remember seeing that your Sig. had a FTF, which really caught my attention. That's not like Sig. At all!

How tight is your Sig. slide? My 1911 slide is loose. I just don't want to have the gun overly broken in, if ya catch my drift.

Assistant Administrator
    Indeed - not SIG behavior I thought!

My SIG slide is a superb fit - but because of that the drag factor with my grease thickening effect - was like having an over tight slide! I should have realized way earlier but it was not 'till I had cleaned and relubed and tested - over and over - it really became plain.

I'd guess a relatively sloppy slide fit - maybe like a well worn 1911, would not notice this effect - plus I think a good run of ammo after, say a Tetra lube - would prove things Ok or not.

I keep my Sistema lubed with Tetra but then hey - it does not see huge thruput of ammo really. SIG for sure will be Militec1 oil from now on. It ran like a champ at last IDPA and that was after a nother large number of test rounds.

Almost ashamed to say - it still has not been fully cleaned since then... despite being on daily carry duty
    Chris - P95

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links