Mobile 1 motor oil to lube 1911

This is a discussion on Mobile 1 motor oil to lube 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ive been searching around the net, I see that some people use motor oil to lube their firearms. I was just wondering if, you think ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobile 1 motor oil to lube 1911

Question Mobile 1 motor oil to lube 1911

Ive been searching around the net, I see that some people use motor oil to lube their firearms.
    I was just wondering if, you think that doing this is a good or bad idea? Ive been using CLP, but it likes to evaporate, or run out of the gun during carry. Im guessing that motor oil is more thick, and would stick to the slide during carry. It might be less likely to evaporate. Pulse its cheap.
    Whats your thoughts on this? Or even if you know of a better lube than CLP?

2. Remove Ads

mobile one or castrol full syth works well iver tried everything else and hey works on a car running high r's high heat ... good nuff for me come in most high end cars from factory .. plus ya know how long a quart oil lasts compared to the little itty bitty bottle of gun oil for 10 $$$

Some will tell ya no but i use it on all my guns period

Assistant Administrator
    Greg - I am using Mobil 1 too - but mostly for internals - good persistance and being a synthetic I think it has great lube qualities.

I would use it on slide rails too - but having Militec1 am choosing to use that now on SIG and most other semi's.

It certainly seems to have found favor with many shooters. My quart will be all but untouched still, when I pop off
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    gun oil for guns, auto oil for autos. Why take chances on something not made for the purpose. motor oils are made to put in engines. CLP seems to work just fine on guns.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    gun oil for guns, auto oil for autos. Why take chances on something not made for the purpose. motor oils are made to put in engines. CLP seems to work just fine on guns.
    just like gun scrubber is the same as brake clean .. most the gun oils are pretty much same as motor oil ..

Administrator

I'm Using

BLUE WONDER DISOTEC XFR
    God! The stuff is fantastic for pistol internals. I love it.

Tetra Gun lube for the pistols..........Dri slide lubricant for the full auto stuff....
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

DC Founder
    I, too, use Mobil 1 most often....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    just like gun scrubber is the same as brake clean .. most the gun oils are pretty much same as motor oil ..

I see CLP or similar as having better rust resistant and better surface adhesion to the gun surfaces than motor oil. also motor oil seems to be a bit lighter and more prone to leaking out of the internals. But use what ya like, just my personal take.

In my 1911, CLP has the consistency of water. When Im carrying the slide gets bone dry. Pulse it evaporates totally within 12 hrs. I kinda like autos to be a wee bit damp on the fast moving parts.

Maybe its the Parkerised parts soaking it up, I really duno? The only other firearms that I ever owned with a Parkerised finish, were bolt guns and a shot gun. I didn't care if they were dry, cause I only used oil for weather protection. I didn't carry a bolt gun 24/7, and I didn't need lube to prevent a lot of friction, as much.

Lead Moderator
    gregarat, if CLP doesn't work for ya , try Rem oil dry lube. It goes on and dries, leaving a film of lube . Might be better for a carry gun to keep oil outta your holster. Personally , never had CLP dry up on me.

Rem Dry lube is even worse. Thats the only 2 oils I own exept for Kroil.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    In my 1911, CLP has the consistency of water. When Im carrying the slide gets bone dry. Pulse it evaporates totally within 12 hrs. I kinda like autos to be a wee bit damp on the fast moving parts.
    Are you shaking your CLP up well just before you use it? The teflon tends to settle out and you could just be applying the solvent......

Matt

Lead Moderator
    I have had good performance with both oils, especially the CLP thru my AR. The interal bolt /gas system gets really dirty, but CLP seems to keep everything lubed well. The dry lube seems to hold well on my pistol slide rails and such too. I wonder if its a matter of humidity/location? I see your in FL.

Teflon lubes

Not to be a 'purveyor of doom' of sorts, but I personally stopped using oils and dry lubes with Teflon not too long ago . There have recently been many articles re the dangers of Teflon and it doesn't look good. I used a lot of both the wet oils and the dry sprays containing Teflon and look back and wonder how much I may have breathed in or absorbed thru my skin. I usually don't let myself worry about various 'new findings' , etc. but I did decide to switch my lubes and got rid of the several I had with Teflon. Here is an article from the Washington Post I found and you'll find many more re the dangers by Googling for Teflon Dangers, etc.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Teflon Chemicals are a Threat to Health

Dupont recently defended its position about partially complying with federal reporting guidelines on the health risks of a key ingredient found in Teflon.

The chemical giant has been criticized on many sides for its decision not to release all the information it compiled on perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA), a soap-like ingredient used in making non-stick surfaces and materials. As a result, EPA has sought fines up to $300 million, arguing the company failed to inform the government and public about PFOA. The concerns:

DuPont concealed its own 1981 research showing traces of the chemical in a pregnant worker’s unborn child
    Ten years later, the company failed to report evidence that the chemical had contaminated the water supply of 12,000 people

The son of a DuPont factory worker who was born with only one nostril and other facial defects (he has had 30 operations) is one of eight families suing the company over PFOA. Although the man recently married, he and his spouse have opted not to have children in case they inherit his condition.

Two DuPont experts argued an internal document about elevated PFOA levels in childbearing workers and their infants wasn’t a toxicology report and didn’t meet the risk threshold that would’ve required contacting EPA. In fact, one attorney claimed PFOA and other chemicals were expected to pass through the placenta.

The company also believes EPA is unfair to apply DuPont’s internal guidelines to reporting requirements of higher PFOA levels in local drinking water when the government found three years ago levels could be raised 150 times without posing a health risk. However, a senior scientist at the Environmental Working Group pointed out that PFOA, like other fluorochemicals, is in people everywhere, never breaks down in the environment and is toxic at or near levels found in humans.

Another health issue, “Teflon flu” causes aches and pains when non-stick pans are overheated, although a DuPont spokesperson said the physical problems are temporary and pass quickly. Yet birds, particularly small ones like finches and cockatiels, can die in short order from those kitchen fumes.

A British environmental minister has said his country will eventually ban one chemical associated with PFOA, perfluorooctane sulphonate, along with other European countries and in line with the United States. One expert on perfluorinated polymers noted the PFOA in Teflon to be potentially as harmful as perfluorooctane sulphonate, pointing out that PFOA has been recognized as a rat carcinogen for decades.
    diplomacy ... the art of saying "nice doggie"..while looking for a big rock !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links