S & W suit over 460 magnum (Merged)

This is a discussion on S & W suit over 460 magnum (Merged) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Let's give the guy a break. I vote for awarding him 1 cent in damages, and making him pay his own attorney fees and court ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S & W suit over 460 magnum (Merged)

VIP Member
    Let's give the guy a break. I vote for awarding him 1 cent in damages, and making him pay his own attorney fees and court cost!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Possibly, S&W could be held responsible for not ensuring that all purchasers of their firearms are literate. From their revolver owner's manual:
    WARNING: ALWAYS KEEP YOUR FINGERS AWAY FROM THE AREA BETWEEN THE CYLINDER AND THE BARREL DURING FIRING. PARTICLES AND HOT GAS WILL BE FORCED OUT FROM BETWEEN THE BARREL AND CYLINDER IN ANY REVOLVER DURING NORMAL USE.
    FAILURE TO FOLLOW THIS WARNING WILL CAUSE SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY.

I hope this idiot loses and that he is held responsible for S&W's legal fees in defending.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

What a retard!
    God bless our troops!

Maybe its because its 3am and I am not thinking straight, but for the life of be I cant figure out how he got his thumb anywhere near the cylinder gap. Unless he did something very stupid like rest the gun forward of the trigger in is non shooting hand. In which case he needs to be taken out of the gene pool.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    He should sue his daddy for not giving him any smarts, or his momma for drinking while pregnant.

Thats just plain wrong SIXTO.

Somehow I have learned not to put my hand close to the gap and still have both of my thumbs. If you are going to buy such a powerful handgun (or any for that matter), maybe you should familiarize yourself with proper operating procedures.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

It sounds like he rested the gun in the cup of his hand in front of the trigger guard like some people may grip an AR15 in front of the magwell,onle his thumb was covering the space in front of cylinder until he pulled the trigger and then it wasn't
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The suit asserts that S&W should have had the foresight to “design away” the risk of harm posed by “... the extraordinarily powerful gases expelled through the barrel-cylinder gap ...”
    Hm. Maybe S&W should have been issued an exception to the laws of physics. That'd do it.

I have yet to get hit by gases escaping sideways through the generous cylinder gap on any revolver. Unless a funnel to the fingers were part of the design, it seems quite a stretch to suggest that S&W failed in some way. So long as the hands are on the grip, I think it's simply impossible to be a casualty of the escaping gases.

My call, based on the write-up: operator error. We'll see if a jury of peers can see this.

Similar (or even same) situation: click.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

...and if you refuse to sell a product to stupid people, you'd be sued for discrimination.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Similar (or even same) situation: click.
    Thank you for posting this link!

To date I have been stumped as to how these people are blowing their fingers off.
    Even the hot dog video was for me difficult to understand as I was thinking who the heck has fingers that long...and why would they hold any gun in that manner.

But now upon seeing your link and specifically this image...

...It's now to me crystal clear.

Why would anyone think to hold a revolver in specific with such a hold?
    That is completely unnatural a hold for a revolver in specific.

Well anyway I'm now firmly in the 'operator error' camp along with others.
    I won't refer to those unfortunates who were injured as being morons or such. More so they were just victims of their own ignorance, and lack of uncommon sense. :|

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

My opinion is that he isn't an idiot fro doing it as much as thinking that it is someone else's fault. I know that he is just after money but the whole situation of wanting to hunt deer with a pistol because he saw it on TV just compounds everything into the idiot category.

Of course, he will be paid for being STUPID! And we will be the ones paying for it by higher prices for their product.
    "Brains before Bullets"

+1 FN

As well per his post at AR15.com he's by his own statement a long time gunny but in this case he'd only put 12 rounds through the gun prior to taking a brand new unfamiliar to him gun out into the field to apply toward a hunt. He wasn't even familiar with the ammunition and it's capabilities.

One thing is not like the other.
    Idiot category indeed.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I wonder if he hit the deer he was shooting at?? lol!!!!
    If not the deer probably fell over laughing his rack off!!!
    You may be a Redneck.............
    Here's Your Sign......
    Hey Watch This........
    Look What I Can Do.....
    Idiot!!!!

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Wow. I'm not even a revolver guy, and I know to keep your fingers clear of the cylinder gap.

On a positive note, I'd like to see the Mythbusters test this. That's some good television!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    He should sue his daddy for not giving him any smarts, or his momma for drinking while pregnant.

Nice way of saying my thoughts on this one.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links