Glock floor plate removal

This is a discussion on Glock floor plate removal within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How do you remove the floor plate of a glock magazine if you dont have the official tool?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock floor plate removal

Glock floor plate removal

How do you remove the floor plate of a glock magazine if you dont have the official tool?

2. Remove Ads

It just slides out, with some force of course.. it's putting it back in that is a b*tch. For putting back in I used a pair of locking clamps to push the spring in first, then slide the new plate in.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

If you are going to replace it then it's easy with a small regular screwdriver... I usually pry one side and then it pops off, but generally my way has damaged a little of the base plate, but I have only done this when I was putting on a new color (for my 23 so I can tell them from my 19), or replacing them with Pearce +0 extensions for my Glock 26.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

thanks. I was a little worried I was missing something. Did not want to trash a new magazine trying to change the plate.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    For G26 mags I put the body of the mag in a vice with rubber teeth and squeeze it slightly .
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Glock floor plate removal...

Am I missing something here? You said it was a factory mag, right?

You take a ball point pen and push in on the little plug in the floor plate while rocking the pen tip to the front of the mag. This disengages the locking pin that holds the plate in place and starts the plate off the mag body for you.

Then just use your fingers to slide the plate forward on it's tracks off the mag body. Point the bottom of the mag toward your body so the spring doesn't go shooting off across the room, though it's not so small it's hard to find.

Putting the plate back on is as simple as doing it all in reverse. And pushing the spring in so you can slide the plate back on doesn't take hardly any strength. Make sure the pin clicks into the hole in the plate again.

While it's apart, you might even hit the spring and follower with some graphite. It's not necessary, but might make you sleep better at night.

Yes they are factory mags trying to put on pearce grips.

Quote Originally Posted by ktphotog View Post
    Am I missing something here? You said it was a factory mag, right?

You take a ball point pen and push in on the little plug in the floor plate while rocking the pen tip to the front of the mag. This disengages the locking pin that holds the plate in place and starts the plate off the mag body for you.

Then just use your fingers to slide the plate forward on it's tracks off the mag body. Point the bottom of the mag toward your body so the spring doesn't go shooting off across the room, though it's not so small it's hard to find.

Putting the plate back on is as simple as doing it all in reverse. And pushing the spring in so you can slide the plate back on doesn't take hardly any strength. Make sure the pin clicks into the hole in the plate again.

While it's apart, you might even hit the spring and follower with some graphite. It's not necessary, but might make you sleep better at night.
    Exactly Right!

They can be a little difficult the first time. I squeeze the sides and use the edge of the table to push the bottom off.

My apologies to the OP... my memories of the process are foggier than I thought!
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

No problem footslogger. From what I could tell reading different sites. The original magazines did not have the release button. Thanks everyone.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    The official tool during the first Glock armorer class I attended was a Starret 3/32 punch.......since they are the King of polymer plastic they make their own punch now.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar

my experience

The button and little catches on each side of the floor plate keep the floor plate and magazine body together. You must do 3 things simultaneously to get the floor plate off:

(1) use the official tool, or a nail, to press on the button with one hand
    (2) squeeze the sides of the magazine body together with the other hand
    (3) use the edge of a countertop or something similar to shove against the back end of the floor plate to slide it off.

It's really hard to do this for the first time on each magazine, much easier on subsequent removals. Putting it back together is always easy.

The guy in the video started off like he knew what he was doing. He had a good explanation of the locking tabs on the tube and how they work with the floor plate. He did not explain that the "magazine insert" is what keeps the magazine tube from being compressed. The "insert" is the flat piece of plastic that is exposed through the hole in the bottom of the floor plate.

For easiest disassembly, the magazine insert needs to be flipped so that it no longer contacts the inside opposite sides of the magazine tube. This is accomplished by forcing the armorer's tool briskly all the way into the magazine tube. In the video above, the guy simply depressed the magazine insert so the cylindrical tab on the bottom was no longer protruding through the hole in the floor plate. That technique works fine with other magazines but keep in mind that the little cylindrical tab is NOT what locks the floor plate onto the tube with the Glock design.

Here's a video showing the correct method.

Also note that you do not need hammers, vice-grips, a bench vice, boiling water, a hair dryer, a heat gun, channel locks, or the special "pliers" sold by Brownells.

Early magazines did not have an "insert" nor a hole in the floor plate. Simply place your thumb on the bottom of the floor plate and push the floor plate off.

Randy
    Last edited by Randy; August 1st, 2008 at 11:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links