Great thing for us without nightsights

Great thing for us without nightsights

This is a discussion on Great thing for us without nightsights within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Some dont like nightsights, others cant afford to drop the $ on them, some firearms nightsights just isn't an option. I saw Glow in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great thing for us without nightsights

Exclamation Great thing for us without nightsights

Some dont like nightsights, others cant afford to drop the $ on them, some firearms nightsights just isn't an option.
    I saw Glow in the dark nail polish (no I am NOT turning into a poof ), in bright colors, it even has little sparkles. Even though Im not turning "festive" I am thinking pink.

Glow in the dark nail polish

Administrator

Thumbs up Just Wondering

Just wondering how long it holds a charge of light?
    That might work but, you would probably need to give them a charge with your flashlight right before use. If things go "Bump In The Night" you might have more important things on your mind.

In low light though....any bright (even pink ) paint would help a shooter pick up that front sight.

The big advantage of the Tritium Night Sights is that they just glow brightly for at least 12 years on their own and never need to be exposed to bright light....since the gas is radioactive.

Actually, the best way to justify the cost of Night Sights is to buy fresh Tritium sights and figure that they are costing you less than 10 bucks a year.

Actually they make a paint just for gun sights, all the hot colors plus glow in the dark in a 7 bottle kit. Unfortunately that stuff is only good for and hour or so after exposure to bright light. Have you thought of the user mountable fiber optic sights, put some on my over/under really helps out in lowlight, and many sporting goods stores carry them.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Lead Moderator
    I resisted gettting night sights for a long time. Didn't see the need. Now , I have a pistol that came with em, and am considering putting a set on my HK. Yes, they are expensive, but how much is your life worth to ya?

Its not only the cost that is a concern. Like I said, with some firearms its not an option. Snub nosed revolvers for example.
    The glow feature might need to be charged to be effective, but Im thinking the sprinkles might pick up some ambient light. If the paint is charged, its a bonus.

Assistant Administrator
    Experiment Greg - probably only way.

I have put dots of ''Bright Sights'' on my R9 and these are well visible in normal light but no luminocity at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Experiment Greg - probably only way.
    True, and I plan on it.
    Im going to use it w/h my Rossi snub nose, and my 1911 G.I.. I like the little sights on that gun(strange, ain't I? ), but its worthless in very low light. If this doesn't work on those tinny sights, it wont work on anything.

I do plan on getting nightsights put on my G19. After my 1911 is fully tested, and ready for carry.

You can simply use a handheld flashlight with the gun, holding the light behind the gun so as to illuminate both the sights and whatever's downrange of the sights.

holding the light behind the gun so as to illuminate both the sights and whatever's downrange of the sights.
    I don't know if that's a good idea?
    I never tried holding the light forward of the piece.
    I always thought that you should hold the flashlight in front of the handgun? What happens when the recoil knocks your flashlight hand? Would the 100+lumen's of light screw up the sight picture? Pulse, That wouldn't work with a Harries technique.

It just doesn't seem stable.

Assistant Administrator
    I always thought that you should hold the flashlight in front of the handgun?
    Well - not too far forward Greg :hand25:
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

"That's how I got this here bullet wound in my left hand. " Said grandpa Greg, to his grandson.
    Last edited by gregarat; November 26th, 2005 at 01:08 AM.

I just did a quick google for glow in the dark paint and came up with this:

http://glowinc.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2

Says it glows for 12 hours. 1/2 oz is under $10. I might have to try some after the holidays (strapped for cash right now). Anyone want to order some and see how it works?

Im in the same "strapped for the holidays" situation your in.

I might order some next week, depending how my Jacksonville trip pans out. I definitely would get that before I go to a cashier, with pink nail polish! Ill get the nail polish from my female friends. They all must have a footlocker full of makeup per person.

No, you do not hold the flashlight FORWARD of the gun. If you do that you cannot illuminate the sights. You must hold it BEHIND the handgun. There is no danger of shooting your hand or "knocking the light from the incredibly powerful recoil" of the handgun.

Hold your gun in your strong-side hand. Point it downrange.

Now take your flashlight in your support hand. Bend that mysterious joint called your elbow. Hold it well behind your firearm, over your chest. Thumb the tailcap switch. You are now illuminating both the sights of your handgun and anything downrange of your handgun, though there will be a shadow in the shape of your pistol in the middle of everything.

Presto! You're now safely managing low-light firing.

Now take your flashlight in your support hand. Bend that mysterious joint called your elbow. Hold it well behind your firearm, over your chest. Thumb the tailcap switch. You are now illuminating both the sights of your handgun and anything downrange of your handgun, though there will be a shadow in the shape of your pistol in the middle of everything.
    O.K. ... I see what your trying to explain.

It still seems kinda goofy.
    Maybe saying having the light forward of the gun, was wrong of me (beer&keyboards don't mix!!), my mistake.
    I should have said parallel with handgun. That is just more comfortable, and seems more stable. I shoot with my right hand, but I'm left eye dominate. I have to move my head to the right, to get a proper sight picture. Instead of having more freedom to move my shooting hand, and support hand to the right. If I did your funky Harries technique.

P.S. If you respond, please don't post a huge pic of yourself demonstrating this.
    Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links