Ark. officer's child accidentally shoots herself

This is a discussion on Ark. officer's child accidentally shoots herself within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ark. officer's child accidentally shoots herself - FOX16.com FORT SMITH, Ark. (AP) - The 6-year-old daughter of a police officer accidentally shot herself in the ...

Thread: Ark. officer's child accidentally shoots herself

Ark. officer's child accidentally shoots herself

Ark. officer's child accidentally shoots herself - FOX16.com

FORT SMITH, Ark. (AP) - The 6-year-old daughter of a police officer accidentally shot herself in the face with a handgun from the Fort Smith Police Department, according to a department spokesman.

Capt. David F. Overton said Thursday the girl's injuries weren't life-threatening.

Police responded to a call about 5:45 p.m. Wednesday to a Fort Smith residence and found the daughter of Capt. Larry Rannells had shot herself with a semiautomatic issued by the police department. She was taken to St. Edward Hospital then transferred to Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock.

"It's probably a police officer's worst fear for one of our children or grandchildren to get a hold of a weapon," Overton said. "It's a difficult time for us here, because we all take our weapons home to our families."

Overton said the child, whom he declined to identify, apparently found the weapon in a bedroom. The department, which provides officers with information on gun safety, does not plan to further investigate the incident, Overton said.

"Probably the best thing to do is to remind parents, whether you have a gun or not at home, to teach your children about gun safety and to leave them alone," he said. "If the gun gets where a child can see it or touch, have them go get an adult."

©2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
    Gun Safety
    Here are some things authorities say to keep in mind whether you own a gun or not.

* Tell your kids don't touch! If they see a gun, they should immediately tell an adult and leave the room.
    * Make sure the weapon is secure. Put it in a gun safe with a lock.
    * Keep guns unloaded and store ammunition separately.
    * Use a gun lock.

2. Remove Ads

Thumbs down

The department, which provides officers with information on gun safety, does not plan to further investigate the incident, Overton said.
    Are you serious? The department has no plan to further investigate the incident? A police officer allows a 6 year old unfettered access to his police issue sidearm and the kid shoots herself...How could that NOT be investigated further.

I absolutely hate the double standard. If that happened to me, CPS would be filling out protective orders as we speak, and I would be in jail.

I'm sorry for the officer and the family, and it truly is a tragedy, but its inexcusable.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    "If the gun gets where a child can see it or touch, have them go get an adult."
    That sounds like guns are chasing down children, how about storing them properly instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Are you serious? The department has no plan to further investigate the incident? A police officer allows a 6 year old unfettered access to his police issue sidearm and the kid shoots herself...How could that NOT be investigated further.

I absolutely hate the double standard. If that happened to me, CPS would be filling out protective orders as we speak, and I would be in jail.

I'm sorry for the officer and the family, and it truly is a tragedy, but its inexcusable.
    Ditto, to this. Add to that, in Texas, there goes your CHL for letting a minor have access to your firearm.

Maybe it should be standard practice when the Police Departments issue a weapon to on officer, that they give them a $40 Honeywell quick access safe for them to put it in when they get home. Then they can say they did everything possible to protect the public and families, and when one of their officers do something stupid like this they can be fired.

Idiot.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

My sentiments, exactly.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Maybe it should be standard practice when the Police Departments issue a weapon to on officer, that they give them a $40 Honeywell quick access safe for them to put it in when they get home. Then they can say they did everything possible to protect the public and families, and when one of their officers do something stupid like this they can be fired.

Idiot.
    Or the officer could just keep it on his hip, and put it on the nightstand when he goes to bed and teach his kids not to play with firearms.

I am absolutely against a requirement for locking up firearms or trigger safeties or anything like that, but each parent or adult needs to find the way that works best for them to prevent their kids or people in their care, from injuring themselves due to their negligence.

Whether that is training, trigger locks, safeties, safes, or whatever other method they choose to use, people SHOULD be held responsible if their choices prove to be insufficient.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Anybody else would be facing charges of child endangernment,Just because somebody is an LEO seems like they get different standards applied than regular citisens.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    OK guys a dose of reality here;

It doesn't say there will be no penalties for the mishandling of the gun, it says there will be no further investigation. Its pretty obvious what happened, no need to investigate the obvious.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sometimes when young kids are playing around with a gun they have a hard time with the trigger. This can result in them facing the barrel towards themselves and using their thumbs to operate it.

I only mention this as an example in case anyone was wondering how it's possible for a child to accidentally shoot their own face.

The article also did not state she had unfettered access to the weapon... that's a huge assumption to make.

We do not know how the child got a hold of the gun or if she successfully circumvented any security methods for storing the firearm. (albeit, obviously not secured well enough)

The article simply does not elaborate how the gun was stored.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Another Article

NWAnews.com :: Northwest Arkansas' News Source

FORT SMITH : 6-year-old daughter of police captain hurt in home gun accident

BY DAVE HUGHES

Posted on Friday, August 1, 2008

Email this story | Printer-friendly version

FORT SMITH ó The 6-yearold daughter of a Fort Smith police captain accidentally shot herself with her fatherís service pistol Wednesday, police said.

Blair Ranells, a daughter of Capt. Larry Ranells, shot herself once in the cheek.

Blair was listed in fair condition Thursday afternoon at Arkansas Childrenís Hospital in Little Rock. Her injuries are not considered life-threatening.

A police report states the shooting occurred at 5: 46 p.m. Wednesday at the Ranells í home in south Fort Smith. The department does not release home addresses of its officers for security reasons, Capt. David Overton said.

Blair was in the den with her older sister Hennessey, according to a report by officer Joseph Armer. Hennessey told Armer she was working at a computer desk while Blair played beside a bed.

Hennessey didnít know Blair had gotten the gun until she heard it go off, she said.

Overton said he was unclear Thursday where Blair found the gun and why it was loaded.

The gun was a Glock 27, a. 40-caliber, semiautomatic handgun that Ranells was issued as a backup weapon, Overton said. The gun does not have a safety but has a lever on the trigger that must be depressed before the gun will fire, he said.

The children told officers that their father is meticulous about gun safety, Overton said, adding that Ranells is known in the department for being con- scientious about firearm safety.

An officerís worst fear is an accident at home with a service weapon, Overton said.

Ranells is an 18-year veteran of the department, he said. He is the night shift captain, a firearms instructor and has served as the departmentís training officer, Overton said.

Blair was taken by ambulance to St. Edward Mercy Medical Center in Fort Smith and later transferred to Childrenís Hospital. Overton said Blair underwent surgery Thursday.

The shooting prompted a criminal investigation by the departmentís detective division as well as an internal investigation by the Office of Professional Standards.

The investigations are routine, and police donít suspect foul play, Overton said. Ranells is not suspended pending the outcome of the investigations, he said.

Officers are issued cable gun locks, Overton said. With the gun unloaded and the magazine removed, the cable is threaded through the magazine opening in the grip and out the ejection port. The end of the cable is inserted in the lock, completing a loop and preventing the gun from being loaded or fired.

Opinions differ on whether officers should unload their weapons at home, Overton said, but obviously itís safer unloaded.

But some instructors counsel officers to leave their guns loaded and in a safe place at home, he added. An officer who unloads his gun at home may forget to reload before going on duty.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member

+1!
    What is so hard is that a. this guy is a vet b. a firearms instructor
    If a six year get ahold of your weapon, it was not secured. Period.
    We have company almost daily and when it's children I have to remind myself, over and over and over, secure the guns, unload them, double lock them, hide them. Over and over. I've even caught myself "sweeping" the family room when I am cleaning them. Ugh!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    If a six year get ahold of your weapon, it was not secured. Period.
    Agreed. There's no excuse, just like there would be no excuse if one of us caused something like that.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Links