G19 jammed at range

G19 jammed at range

This is a discussion on G19 jammed at range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We have two Glocks. A G19, generation 2 and a G26, generation 3. Both bought used from Gander Mountain this year. My wife and I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

G19 jammed at range

We have two Glocks. A G19, generation 2 and a G26, generation 3. Both bought used from Gander Mountain this year.

My wife and I regularly hit the indoor firing range. Last week we were there and something happened that has never happened before. Our G19 jammed two separate times. The spent shell was stuck in the slide like it didn't get ejected before the next round was chambered. To clear it, I had to actually drop the magazine, then slightly pull the slide back to get the spent shell out, as well as eject the one trying to be chambered.

My suspicion is the magazine. It happened both times on the mag that came with the gun when we bought it. The other mag we have for it is new. I've taken both magazines apart and cleaned them prior to this incident and have probably put about 500 rounds through the G19. It has never happened before this incident. It happened twice while running about 150 rounds through the gun. After I cleared it, I would reload and continue shooting with no problems.

What are your thoughts? Am I likely correct in thinking it is the older magazine? Incidentally, the mags I have are 15 rounds. This particular one says "Restricted, LE or Government use only" on it. The other 15 round mag we bough brand new doesn't say any such thing, just "9mm".

Thanks for any feedback.
    Glock G19 - Generation 2 (our first)
    Glock G26 - Generation 3
    Glock G21 - Generation 3 (Bought 8/2010)
    Taurus PT709 Slim - mostly used as a bug (Sold 8/2010, did not like the quality after owning it for a few months)

JD
    Administrator
    But...but... Glocks don't jam....

Right?

Yeah, probably just the magazine spring, usually when I buy a used gun I change out all the springs I can.

Best guess on the LE marked mag is that is was made between '93 and '03, might be time to change the spring.

You may also want to check to see if there is any damage to the ejector.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

That was a failure to eject. You did not mention the type or brand of ammo, but this can also happen if you "limp wrist" and the action recoil is dampened by the lack of a firm grip. If it is really easy to fill the magazines with your fingers/thumb then your mag springs are worn out.

I had a problem with the 10-Round Glock 19 Magazines, only time I've had problems with a Glock 9 MM Magazine.

It was the Follower. I changed those out and they've worked ever since. Most of my Glock 19 Magazines were made during the Clinton Years and say "Restricted LE/Govt" on them. They work 100%.

It sounds like it's time for you to change your Magazine Springs. The reason I brought up the story about the Followers was because, if a spring change doesn't do the trick that would be my next culprit, assuming it's not an ammo issue.

Biker

Administrator
    Check your extractor for a failure to eject.
    Also check to make certain that your ejector is not damaged.

Ejection happens before the next round up feeds so that is not a magazine issue.

Your spent brass should have been kicked out during the rearward slide travel.

The separate failure to feed may be a weak magazine spring issue.

Also try switching ammo and see what happens.
    If you're shooting budget Winchester ammo then expect occasional function related problems because it is sometimes inconsistent..
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Save up for a H&K
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I also have a Glock which I bought used, a 2000 model G21. When I load the 10 round magazine that it came with to capacity, the first round sticks up at a sharper angle than it should, and the gun will sometimes fail to chamber the first round. If I download to 9 rounds, or use the other mags that I bought for it, there are no issues. I called Glock about it, and they have offered to repair the magazine if I send it to them (I haven't yet).

I know it's not the same issue, but I figured I'd just toss it out there.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Check your extractor for a failure to eject.
    Also check to make certain that your ejector is not damaged.

Ejection happens before the next round up feeds so that is not a magazine issue.

Your spent brass should have been kicked out during the rearward slide travel.

The separate failure to feed may be a weak magazine spring issue.

Also try switching ammo and see what happens.
    If you're shooting budget Winchester ammo then expect occasional function related problems because it is sometimes inconsistent..
    I want to echo QK, good thing is the Glock parts are cheap and easy to get, I'd replace everything related it will cost you very little and its about time to do so anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thank you all for the response. The ammo was Winchester FMJ. It is the same ammo I've used since we bought the guns, per the recommendation of the Gander Mountain Rep. Also, it is readily available at WalMart for about $10 cheaper than other places for the 100 round box.

Incidentally, now that you mention it, I will add something else I noticed. After we were done shooting, got home and I was cleaning the guns (I inspect and clean after each time at the range), I noticed the barrels of both guns were significantly dirtier than any other time we had been at the range before. There was also a lot more "cardboard looking" material on the gun. It was like I had ammo that was leaving a lot of garbage behind. Is this a clue that I got bad ammo or something?

I am still getting used to the Glocks and familiarizing myself with all the parts. I will identify and inspect the ejector. Thank you all again for your feedback.
    Glock G26 - Generation 3
    Taurus PT709 Slim - mostly used as a bug (Sold 8/2010, did not like the quality after owning it for a few months)

RE: Failure to eject...

QK is correct, it's a failure to eject caused by either improper grip, cheap ammo, an ejector failure, or a combo of all three.

A week mag spring would have caused a failure to feed, not a successful feed, shot, and failure to eject. And it didn't cause the 2nd round failure to feed either, the shell that was stuck in the way did.

Check your ejector for wear, breakage, or foreign material under the hook. Clean/repair/replace as needed.

Then go buy some cleaner ammo. The increase in gunk is not worth the $10 savings, and excessive build-up in the chamber may have slowed down the ejection just enough to cause the jam. Why not? I've seen an identical jam caused by the shooter's thumb rubbing up against the side of the slide!

Proper grip is easy to check for, but if you've been shooting Glocks for a long time with no problems I don't see that as the issue.

I've owned 3 Glocks, 2 of them G19 - series 2, and I love them. I've never had a jam.
    "Anybody who deserves to be shot, deserves to be shot alot." - Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by ktphotog View Post
    QK is correct, it's a failure to eject caused by either improper grip, cheap ammo, an ejector failure, or a combo of all three.

A week mag spring would have caused a failure to feed, not a successful feed, shot, and failure to eject. And it didn't cause the 2nd round failure to feed either, the shell that was stuck in the way did.

Check your ejector for wear, breakage, or foreign material under the hook. Clean/repair/replace as needed.

Then go buy some cleaner ammo. The increase in gunk is not worth the $10 savings, and excessive build-up in the chamber may have slowed down the ejection just enough to cause the jam. Why not? I've seen an identical jam caused by the shooter's thumb rubbing up against the side of the slide!

Proper grip is easy to check for, but if you've been shooting Glocks for a long time with no problems I don't see that as the issue.

I've owned 3 Glocks, 2 of them G19 - series 2, and I love them. I've never had a jam.
    Thanks for the feedback.

What do you all recommend I use for practice ammo if not the Winchester FMJ?
    Glock G26 - Generation 3

Sponsor
    Win fmj 100 rd battlepacks is all I use for practice and classes, to the tune of 20K a year or more in my glocks for the last 4-5 years.

Use it, it'll be fine once you get the gun straightened out.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I have a Glock disassembly/reassembly manual. Is the extractor (as listed in the book) the same thing as an "ejector" as referenced in this thread? I want to make sure I'm looking at the correct part. I didn't see anything called an ejector in the book.

At the same time I put a new recoil spring in (about a month ago), I put a new extractor in. I got a new one (also from Midway USA) that has the "chamber loaded" indicator on it.

I kept the old one. I suppose I should take the new one back out and compare it to the old one I took out. Maybe the new one I got is flawed somehow, or I just ended up getting some bad ammo.

Thank you all again for your feedback.

Thanks.
    Glock G26 - Generation 3

I would remove extractor and spring and clean the hole the spring
    fits in.you may have brass shaving or powder in the hole
    this would cause the extractor spring to Jam causing the extractor
    to be louse for a round or two untill the mess inside moved around a little
    then it would go back to working again.
    the trouble is the stuff may still in there
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links