Broken safety? Taurus Model 62 pump .22

This is a discussion on Broken safety? Taurus Model 62 pump .22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This evening my wife brought home a box from work. Inside was a hand-me-down Taurus model 62 pump-action .22. A mutual friend she works with ...

Thread: Broken safety? Taurus Model 62 pump .22

This evening my wife brought home a box from work. Inside was a hand-me-down Taurus model 62 pump-action .22. A mutual friend she works with had it for awhile and has no children so he asked my wife if she would like to have it for my boys when they started shooting. So, here it is. He had not shot the rifle in quite awhile. It's in what apears to be very good shape. It's a nickle-type/stainless steel finish all around and both the stock and slide wood are in really nice shape. The issue though could be the safety.

I racked it to check that the chamber was clear and then pointed in a safe direction to see if the safety was ok. The lever is on top of the "slide". This rifle also has a hammer that is cocked when engaging the pump. I put it in battery, put the safety lever completey into "S" and then pulled the trigger to verify. The hammer dropped with the safety in the "safe" position. Looking through the manual, I could not verify if this was the way it was suppose to work or not. In every firearm I have, the trigger will not move when the safety is engaged. This Taurus drops the hammer "on safe"...

Anyone with this rifle or that has shot this rifle before know if this is the way the safety is designed. Does the firing pin become disengaged "on safe" even though the hammer drops, or am I correct in assuming that the safety is indeed broken and I should have this repaired? It just seemed strange to me to see the hammer drop "on safe" but I have never owned a rifle of this particular type before so I wanted to get some input from DC as to whether or not this could be an issue.

<----- not something I want to see if in fact it is broken!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Well, I have never held one of those rifles, but I'm reading the manual for it right now. I have a Marlin 336 that the trigger can be pulled with the safety on in order to place the weapon in "half-cock", from what I am reading it sounds like the Taurus is designed the same way. So if you want to carry it with a round in the chamber, you load a round, put the weapon on safe, and then lower the hammer from full cock to half cock, with the safety blocking the hammer from falling all the way (still bes tot lower it with your thumb).

From the pictures in the manual half cock looks pretty close to all the way down. I would (with an unloaded weapon of course), try to determine if it was falling to half cock, or dropping all the way.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thx Buck. I looked at the manual again the next morning and then checked the half-cock and it looks ok. I just didnt notice it that night. Looks like everything is working okie-dokie!

Free Gun!! Woot!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Links