Firing Line Injury

This is a discussion on Firing Line Injury within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A friend of mine suffored minor injuries on the pistol range at my shooting club. I had four guests at the range on that afternoon. ...

Thread: Firing Line Injury

Firing Line Injury

A friend of mine suffored minor injuries on the pistol range at my shooting club. I had four guests at the range on that afternoon. Each paid a guest fee and signed the club's liability waiver.

John, who was injured, is a coworker of mine and is an experienced
    shooter, although this was his first visit to my club. His wife was there as a novice shooter. Another coworker of mine and her husband were both there as novice shooters. Since we had three first time shooters, I spent 20-30 minutes with them at the dry fire
    bench with some dummy rounds, practicing loading, demonstrating the features of a variety of pistol types and reviewing range safety policies. Once out on the range, I did not shoot very much, as I had too many novices to supervise.

At one point, John brought out a large frame S&W .357 Magnum revolver. One of the novices was shooting that gun while John was one lane to the left trying out a 9 mm Kahr that I had recently purchased. He was suddenly struck by at least two bullet fragments from his own revolver (in the next lane) and showed me blood running down each of his biceps. We speculate that lead or copper
    jacketing was shaved from the bullet as it passed from the cylinder into the barrel, and exited to the left out of the head spacing at the front of the cylinder, passed through the wire mesh lane divider, and struck him.

John called me that evening to tell me that he had a particle embedded under his skin at one of the wound sites and would probably seek medical treatment for its removal. I was away on vacation all last week, so didn't see John until yesterday. A doctor was able to remove a small piece of metallic debris from the
    wound, so all is well.

I guess we should consider replacing the wire mesh lane dividers, which are fine for knocking down flying brass, with something more solid.

2. Remove Ads

He might want to check his revolver to make sure there isn't play in the cylinder when it locks up,my range i shoot at has solid metal plate i'm assuming at least 1/4" thick for lane dividers
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ouch !! :D
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    The revolver might be out of time. Something a competent gunsmith can check out.

We emphasize eyes and ears at the range.
    This is a good reason why!
    Imagine that jacket fragment impacting an unprotected eyeball!
    I was made a believer when I (foolishly!) fired a jacketed .22 Mag. into a steel knockdown plate.
    Fragment of the jacket imbedded itself in my cheek directly below my left eye.
    If ever there had been doubt, there was none after that moment!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Hat, eye and ear protection, and I always wear a long sleeve shirt...can't be too carefull.
    Glad there were no serious injuries...hope the newbies weren't discouraged.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Protection FTW. The first revolver I ever shot when I was a kid, I shot high, hit the edge of the steel clip, and a fragment flew back and hit me in the shooting glasses. I still remember that day, and always remember eye protection.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

The same thing happened to my dad while shooting his 340PD except he was hit in the face. It turned out the frame was cracked so make sure your friend has his gun checked out before he shoots it again.

Sounds like the cylinder was "out of timing" and shaving part of the bullet. That can definitely be fixed!

Should send it in to S&W or a local gunsmith.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    A friend of mine suffored minor injuries on the pistol range at my shooting club. I had four guests at the range on that afternoon. Each paid a guest fee and signed the club's liability waiver.

John, who was injured, is a coworker of mine and is an experienced
    shooter, although this was his first visit to my club. His wife was there as a novice shooter. Another coworker of mine and her husband were both there as novice shooters. Since we had three first time shooters, I spent 20-30 minutes with them at the dry fire
    bench with some dummy rounds, practicing loading, demonstrating the features of a variety of pistol types and reviewing range safety policies. Once out on the range, I did not shoot very much, as I had too many novices to supervise.

At one point, John brought out a large frame S&W .357 Magnum revolver. One of the novices was shooting that gun while John was one lane to the left trying out a 9 mm Kahr that I had recently purchased. He was suddenly struck by at least two bullet fragments from his own revolver (in the next lane) and showed me blood running down each of his biceps. We speculate that lead or copper
    jacketing was shaved from the bullet as it passed from the cylinder into the barrel, and exited to the left out of the head spacing at the front of the cylinder, passed through the wire mesh lane divider, and struck him.

John called me that evening to tell me that he had a particle embedded under his skin at one of the wound sites and would probably seek medical treatment for its removal. I was away on vacation all last week, so didn't see John until yesterday. A doctor was able to remove a small piece of metallic debris from the
    wound, so all is well.

I guess we should consider replacing the wire mesh lane dividers, which are fine for knocking down flying brass, with something more solid.
    That's not good at all.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Sure sounds like a severe timing problem. Was this a new gun?

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

+1 cylinder is out of time = not lined up. I wouldn't shoot that gun again until it has been fixed up by a competent gunsmith. Glad there were no serious injuries!

Austin

John doesn't buy new guns; he always buys used, and I don't kow how many rounds he's put through this particular one

Tell John, not to fire this wheeler until a gunsmith looks at it as it has some serious saftey issues that need to be addressed.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Links