Cleaning and reviving the new luster of Stainless Steel

This is a discussion on Cleaning and reviving the new luster of Stainless Steel within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just purchased an old lever action 22 Henry rifle that I am going to make it a project of mine to refinish. I shouldn't ...

Thread: Cleaning and reviving the new luster of Stainless Steel

VIP Member

Cleaning and reviving the new luster of Stainless Steel

I just purchased an old lever action 22 Henry rifle that I am going to make it a project of mine to refinish. I shouldn't have anying problem refinishing the stock but the reciever on this rifle is in stainless steel. The steel is dull and I like to bring back the newness of stainless steel. I do not think when this rifle was new that the stainless steel was bright but right now it is real dull and slightly stained. Any idea's how I can do this and what products I should use? Keep in mind I do not own or have an area to put a buffing wheel. Any help I would apreciate.

2. Remove Ads

They do make stainless polish to remove the dullness and leave a nice shine. Have used before with mixed results, not on guns but stainless control panels, and I have no idea where to get some. Sorry. I don't know if it works on stainless but you could try that old military standby, Never-Dull. test on another piece of stainless so you don't screw up your gun though. That stuff seems to polish just about anything.

VIP Member
    Spooter. I've worked in food plants most my life and the stuff you are talking about, I think, is more like a polish. This stainless is more porus. I might need something more like a rubbing compound but not sure what compound to use. I found 4 or 5 compounds on the net but none of them states to be used with stainless. It wound be nice to have a buffing wheel but do not have a garage or a work shop to set one up. Someone on here has to know of a remedy!!! Thanks Spooter.

Just trying to help. A few guys on this forum have used a dremel tool with the buffing wheel on it to polish parts on their guns, some with pretty good results. Good luck.

If the stainless finish was a "brushed finish" use a light duty Scotchbrite pad (Blue I think) and some oil. It will clean up nice.

If the finish was bright use some Simichrome, Neverdull. Flitz or even Mother's Magwheel polish.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

VIP Member
    The finish was a brush finish so I'll try to find the Scothbrite. I didn't know it came in different grades. We also used it at work but it was green and coarse. But subituting a Dremel Tool for a buffing whell is also a great idea. Thats something I can come up with quickly. Thanks guys.

B52
    Try Neverdull.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    The finish was a brush finish so I'll try to find the Scothbrite. I didn't know it came in different grades.
    I checked online and it is the blue pad. They even mention making stainless steel sparkle.

Multi-Purpose Scour Pad

A versatile choice that can be used on non-stick cookware. Multi-Purpose scour pads can also be used to scrub stainless steel until it sparkles just use a little detergent and your stainless steel appliances will shine like new.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

If you have access to a bench grinder, get a Scotchbrite EXL wheel, a nice wide one. If you dont have a bench grinder, get the $50 cheapo at sears.... The EXL wheels will move some metal, so be very gentle. You can get a near mirror shine. If you want to go full mirror, follow it up with rouge and a cotton wheel

VIP Member
    Arisin Wind Thanks for going online and checking. after reading some of the replys to me, I did try a cheap scouring pad I had with a litttle Break Free and it did clean up some. With the right Scotchbrite I think I'll get the shine I'm looking for. Not looking for a mirrow finish. I do not know why I didn't think of Scotchbrite being a machinist in the food industry. I guess with all the work I've done with stainless steel I never had to be responsible for putting a shine on my work. That was always someone elses job.

Links