Danger of lead while cleaning?

This is a discussion on Danger of lead while cleaning? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I read in an Ayoob book of mine that cleaning should be done indoors because every time the brush goes through, you fill the surrounding ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I read in an Ayoob book of mine that cleaning should be done indoors because every time the brush goes through, you fill the surrounding cubic yard with lead. I was trying to tell my dad this because I wasn't sure if he opened any windows while he cleans. He said he shoots full metal jackets, so there shouldn't be any lead exposed to his gun. He still opens the windows though, because of the chemicals in the cleaners.

So my question is: can I safely bet that there is no lead inside my dirty gun if I use fmj ammunition? Thanks very much...

unless its that lead-safe stuff (TMJ), a FMJ round still has lead exposed in the base of the round which is exposed to the heat and gases upon firing.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by tamworth View Post

So my question is: can I safely bet that there is no lead inside my dirty gun if I use fmj ammunition?
    Nope, there lead there, but unless you're eating it, there is not a whole lot to worry about.
    "Just blame Sixto"

thanks!

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have been reloading and cleaning for over 50 years. I have suffered no problems.

I guess folks have to have something to be overly concerned about, but dangers from lead in cleaning guns is baloney. I am "living proof." So are millions of others.

Ayoob does come up with some doozies.

Regards,
    Jerry

the effects of lead exposure can be seen at a local gun store out here ;-)
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Lead poisoning is mainly something to worrry about in fetuses and children, adults are not as suspectible.

Remodeling an older home and inhaling large amounts of dust MIGHT put you at risk of breathing in enough lead dust to cause a problem, but cleaning your gun (full metal jacket or just plain jane lead bullets, one gun or twenty guns) doesn't put enough lead in the air to matter, even to a child or fetus.

Now if you chew on the bullets or eat the little pieces of lead you clean out of your gun, well you have issues much larger than lead poisoning.

B52
    +1 just don't eat the lead. I usually clean my guns in the garage or my office because I have three small children and I worry about it harming them. I have handled lead and solvents for at least 20+years and the only person who thinks it has made me crazy is my wife, lol.

it just doesn't hurt to wash your hands once in a while ;-)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Nope, there lead there, but unless you're eating it, there is not a whole lot to worry about.
    I had to go to a week long conferrence on lead, OSHA, and Shooting ranges. Most of it was extremely boring. However, the issue of lead was discussed for almost 3 straight days.

Directly ingesting lead doesnt' really hurt you. (i.e. picking up an ingot or a miniball and swalling it.) the same way it came in is the same way its coming out. The dust from the range is what gets you, and not just from breathing it. In fact from what the instructor said the majority of the lead you get off of a range comes aborbing them through your ocular cavities. (i.e. your eyes) . In other words you wear eye protection not only to protect for other reasons but to keep from absorbing more lead.

Cleaning a gun, I would think the chemicals are more of an issue then the lead is.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

wow, that's very (dare I say it) eye opening! So, given my previous debate with my dad, if we're all shooting fmj ammo, where does the lead in the air in the range come from?

Thank you all for very informative responses.

chance of lead poisoning for the bg

Cleaning a gun, I would think the chemicals are more of an issue then the lead is.
    I'll second that notion. The average person probably comes in contact with lead more often than they'd realize from all sorts of products. Arsenic and mercury are probably up in there too.
    http://orgs.unca.edu/eqi/lpp/where.html
    Brass Items

Brass is a metal alloy meaning it is a mixture of more than one metal. Brass is made of copper and zinc. Lead is a natural contaminant in zinc because the two are mined together from the earth.
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/h67rh476p5p3666q/
    http://www.utexas.edu/safety/ehs/msds/lead.html
    http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/ranges/

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I now wear nitrile gloves (cheap at BJ's, Costco or Sam's Club) while cleaning guns. Hands don't stink after you're done and it keeps the chemicals from being absorbed thru the skin (or any break therein).

Minor precaution. I also use the gloves when cleaning anything filthy. Got started with them when I got my C&R FFL . . . cosmoline, grease, oils, etc. make quite a mess.

Been shooting, cleaning guns, and casting bullets since the early 1970s and only now have developed a small third ear on the back of my head. So far my hair covers it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links