Defensive Carry banner

So many pistols

2K views 25 replies 25 participants last post by  crzy4guns 
#1 ·
Does anyone here owln a lot of different pistols that you wear a differrent one almost everyday?
I am not trying to offend anyone I would just like to know why.
One day you have on your Glock in 9mm next time a Sig in .40
a 1911, Glock in 357sig. What gives, I strap on a G19 4 spare mags
when working two when of it just simple for me.
Would you share please.

#3 ·
All of mine see daylight. Some are seasonal in a way IWB/OWB. I have no specific 'house gun', 'range gun', or 'safe-queens'. I carry each and every one of mine at one time or another.

#5 ·
I do think it's important to have a primary EDC that you know and practice with...and I almost always have my Kimber Ultra CDP on my person.
That being said, I prefer to have my Glock-36 tucked against my right kidney when on my Harley. I seems to just disappear and against the backrest, I know it's not going anywhere...it's just my Harley partner.
It's enjoyable to buy and own and use various firearms...why not change your carry once in while?

Stay armed...with something...stay safe!

#8 ·
Does anyone here owln a lot of different pistols that you wear a differrent one almost everyday?

Yes, I own more than I could ever need in a lifetime [ though most of them are collector guns and wouldn't/don't get carried or shot, though they are all capable of being brought to service at a moments notice ].

I don't wear the handful that are out and ready to pick up at a moments notice in a quick rotation of daily, but I'm certianly capable of being caught with either one of a SA milspec 1911 I've had since 82; a glock 17; a glock 19; Sig 220 "carry"; Walther "Interarms" PPK/s, or Seecamp on a fairly regular rotation.

I use that word rotation loosely, as that suggests some sort of schedule, which there isn't. For me, the "Rotation" depends on one thing, thats what I want to carry that day based on personal feelings or just what I perceive my needs may be that day.

What I "want" to carry any particular day or week is based on what I deem acceptable for me that day/week as well.

Just this morning, I swapped out the Sig 220 I carried for over a week, for the g17 and two extra mags when I was going to head out into the desert on a Polaris Ranger and be quite a distance from support. When I got back this afternoon, I swapped that g17 out for the SA 1911 milspec that I've owned and shot since 82.

Why swap to the 1911 gov model for tonight, tomorrow and beyond until I "want" to carry one of the others lined up in the rotation sometime later?

This forum is known for it's prevalent 1911 member/afficionados:gah: I'm more a glock guy for the last 4 years almost exclusively [ gets the most use most of the time ] but had been a 1911 ccw/user before that almost exclusively since 1972. I've also shot this particular milspec 1911 since 82, 6 years worth of competition with this one 1911 as well as daily ccw. We're old friends, and all these damned threads in support of the 1911 platform has taken it's toll on me:rofl:

However, if I wasn't as familiar with this 1911 platform as I am [ I've put 30K+ through this one alone ], it wouldn't be in the rotation no matter what these 1911 guys think and say about it.:hand10:

Brownie

#9 ·
Do you have only one pair of blue jeans? WHY?

Same reason I have different carry guns. My main CC is a G23 with CT grips, but it can be difficult to hide in church clothes, so my Sunday ( Church Gun) is a Sig P232, it is much thinner and easy to conceal under dress clothes, of course I always have my NAA Guardian in my front pocket.
I also just ordered some custom leather from K&D for a Italian made 92F with frontal laser sight I bought in the 90's, when it arrives I will add the 92F to my carry rotation.

NCH

#10 ·
Rotation

I rotate carry guns based on my mood. I also carry openly at the gunshop and have been known to carry something just for the "show off" factor. Mostly autos, occasionally a revolver. I really don't plan for different weather or seasons or anything. I carry (in no real order) a stainless Colt 1991 with fancy wood grips, a H&K P7M8, Glock 19, S&W 610 in 10mm, Nickel S&W model 40 (the new ones), S&W model 15 snub, Kahr MK40, Glock 17, Nickel S&W 37 (old), and a Kel Tec .32 as a BUG almost always.

#11 ·
I own MANY guns and I shoot them regularly. I carry what is clean. Mostly a glock30 or other glock models to keep it simple. I do revert back to my youth and sometime carry a 1911 or BHP. I always have a J frame of some type in my front left pocket and depending on where I go, I have one of my .32/.380's in a rear pocket. Why? Because I can and the quickest reload is a 2nd or 3rd gun

#12 ·
I own some where north of 50 handguns, and I pretty much exclusively carry three; a 228, G19 or a PM9. I carry a 220 for work, but thats not CCW, so I won't count that.

I do have a few others that I carry from time to time for special circumstances or when I feel a BUG is appropriate, such as a P32 or a J frame.

I'm a creature of habit, and have strong likes and dislikes so once I find what works well for me, I stick with it.

#14 ·
I own quite a few handguns, but am pretty limited in what I carry, because I feel comfortable with the familiarity.

My primary EDC is a Kimber Ultra CDP II, carried in a Tucker Answer.
Typically a BUG, or when there's no option but pocket carry, a Kel-Tec P-3AT.
When my right arm was out of commission, I switched to carrying a Colt Detective Special, because I could do everything with only my left hand.
I've recently brought a Browning Hi-Power into the front line, and as I spend some more time with it, it'll get carried quite a bit. I just love the way it shoots and fits my hand, and the HBE Com III holster is just ideal for IWB carry.

I don't really carry any of the others concealed, but all of the other modern handguns are shooters. No safe queens.

#15 ·
I'll carry my P239 in the warmer months, my P229 in cooler months....OC my P229 or P226 or Beretta....and my MK9 is my "Sunday gun".

#16 · (Edited)
Call me old school, but I am getting to the stage of life where simple is better. I sold my .40 to buy another 1911. That's all I carry now. My wife has the same model .357 I carried on duty years ago and I can still shoot it with high-speed precision. I feel in a highly stressed situation, familiarity is your best friend. By shooting friends' different pistols, I've learned that each has it's own nuances - grip, trigger pull, sight plane, recoil pattern and recovery time. I can deal with those at the range. When my life is on the line, however, I want to have the muscle memory working in my favor rather than against it. That's why I have narrowed my carry to one platform - the 1911.

My best friend in Florida has more guns than the local shop and has zero consistency in his range performance. The XD prints 2" low and left, the wheel gun prints 2" high, his 1911 is dead on....... In rapid fire, he's all over the target with several misses. The beauty of our collective addictions is that it's an individual choice. What works for some may not work for others. For me, I'll keep it simple.

#24 ·
Amen :congrats:
Muscle memory in a high stress situation can be your best friend.
If you change gun types constantly, it can be you worst enemy.

#17 ·
My best friend in Florida has more guns than the local shop and has zero consistency in his range performance.

Thats just a training issue, and indicates not enough time on the guns to be able to pick up any weapon platform and perform well.

In the classes, I have people hand me unfamiliar [ to me ] firearms all the time to demonstrate I can use their weapon as proficiently as my own. It's never an issue, the speed is there, the hits are there and nothing changes from one gun to the next.

I would suggest though, that others that don't have as much range/practice time on various platforms would be better off sticking with what works best for them as you mention.

Sometimes simple is better as you suggest, and for the majority of ccw carriers, thats probably going to be the best advice one could give. It's always been a goal to be able to pick up any unfamiliar weapon platform and shoot it as well as my own within a few minutes.

Brownie

#19 ·
While I have a variety to choose from, my Sig 239 SAS sees carry duty 90% of the time. When my UBG holster for the PPS 40 gets here, it may occasional get swapped out but the 239 will remain my primary. Other than that, it depends on clothing requirements. If necessary, the next one in line is the PM-9 and as a minimal requirement, the LCP. Other than that, I will sometimes carry the Taurus 85 with shot cartridges for snakes out at my land or the NiteHawg when working out there (usually brush-hogging) as it's easier to strip and clean the dust and grass clippings out of than some of the others.

Hoss

#20 ·
I have "several" handguns, but only have 4 that I ever carry.

98% of the time I carry the snubby, becuase it's the easiest to conceal and I have a nice carry rig (or 3) for it, so the gun is very comfortable to carry in any situation. In cool weather when I am waering a coat or if I'm going into an area that I feel might be a bit more dangerous I may carry an auto. Either a .40, or maybe my 9mm sig that I just got a holster for. I haven't practiced enough with it to carry it yet, but soon will.

Just depends on how I feel like "dressing" that day I guess.

#21 ·
Hello All,

My handgun safe has quite a few choices, none of which are "queens".

I carry most all at one time or another. Sometimes it's situational,

sometimes it's wardrobe driven, and sometimes it's just because.

But one rule I always follow is : if my primary is S/A auto, my BUG

is S/A auto ie. Kimber Pro Raptor w/ Colt Mustang or S&W 686p w/

S&W J frames or Beretta 92 w/ Walther PPKS.

I have found that in over half a century on this planet two things hold

true...Gravity works (either for ya or against ya) and that "muscle

memory" is VERY IMPORTANT with firearms. Don't cheat yourself

Practice, Practice, Practice, then Practice some more. It was once said

Amatures practice until they get it right...but Professionals practice

until they can't get it wrong.

Safety First...Keep your groups tight,

mM

#25 ·
I have about 4 or 5 guns I trade out regularly. I like all my guns to see use from time to time.

I have a couple 1911's but I probably won't carry them unless I get some night sights for them. And I definitely won't carry them for defense until I have shot them a lot again and get used to the 1911 platform again. Haven't shot them in a while because ammo is too expensive right now in .45 acp.

#26 ·
Normally if I had to pick just one handgun to carry, it would be my Glock 26. This one gets the majority of carry duty. Lately because of the really hot weather, I will occasionally carry a J frame S&W in either .38 special or .32 magnum and I will even drop down to a NAA .22 magnum mini revolver from time to time.

The weather will influence my carry choice to some extent, but I do like to carry a different gun once in a while just to keep my familiarity up with each one, and who knows, you may have to use someone else's gun to stay in the battle and keep yourself alive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.