.357 Magnum Vs. .40 S&W in the recoil department...

This is a discussion on .357 Magnum Vs. .40 S&W in the recoil department... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I purchased my Springfield XD Sub-Compact (.40) with the intention of using it for a CCW weapon. After doing some reading on my own I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .357 Magnum Vs. .40 S&W in the recoil department...

.357 Magnum Vs. .40 S&W in the recoil department...

I purchased my Springfield XD Sub-Compact (.40) with the intention of using it for a CCW weapon. After doing some reading on my own I've decided to give pocket carry a chance as with some of the activities I partake in (Sportbike riding), my weight (155lbs, 6ft), and my clothing choices (T-Shirt & Shorts) may seem to be a problem with an IWB carry on a daily basis.

The S&W 340PD has really caught my eye for the light weight and also stopping power of the .357 Magnum, as well as the ability to pocket carry easily.

My only problem is I have never shot a .357 round and none of my friends have a firearm that uses them. I was wondering how it compared in muzzle flip to a good 165gr. .40 S&W round?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

Night and day I would suspect. Especially when fired in a short barreled revolver. Last 357mag I had had a 4 3/4" barrel. Remembering those days...I've never tried the 357mag in something with any shorter barrel, but just guessing from that experience, and my G22 or G27 with the 40S&W, the 357mag would probably go twice the perceived recoil and longer recovery IMO. Even more so with an ultralight like the 340PD. I could be wrong though.

Hello All,

+1 on what Ram Rod said. I own a number of wheel guns in .357 in just about all flavors ie. Stainless 2,4,6" as well as Scandium and Titanium Snubbies. My XD .40 is more like a snappy push compared
    to the lightweight hand cannons in .357. My S&W 340SC is almost
    PAINFUL with fullboat loads (even with cushy aftermarket grips).

They all have their pros and cons but IMHO if recoil is a concern stick
    with either some weight in your .357 choice or go with an automatic.

Safety first...Keep your groups tight,

mM

Thanks for the insight, I have a 3" barrel on my XD and I really wouldn't want anything snappier to carry honestly....even if it is less then half the weight.

Follow up shots are my real concern. I suppose I will look at other options for a carry piece or tough it out and go IWB.

I have SW 2 1/2 frame 357 and it has alot of kick compared to a SIG P229 in a 40 cal.One time when shooting it split the center of my palm open. Have not shot it to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    Thanks for the insight, I have a 3" barrel on my XD and I really wouldn't want anything snappier to carry honestly....even if it is less then half the weight.

Follow up shots are my real concern. I suppose I will look at other options for a carry piece or tough it out and go IWB.
    Take a look at a Kahr K40. It would conceal MUCH better IWB than the chunky XD, and has a 3.5 inch barrel for a little better velocity. (Although the .40 isn't exactly a slowpoke out of ANY length barrel.) It weighs about the same as an XD, as it is all steel, but it is much more compact and slim. The weight is not an issue with a good IWB holster and belt.

If you must have light weight, you might try a Kahr P40 or CW40. Most people are happy with them, but there have been a few problems reported. I've never heard anything bad about the all-steel models, which is why I prefer them.

I had a K40, but traded it for something else...but that's only because it was a blued one, and I really prefer stainless for a carry gun. I'll have a stainless K40 with night sights as soon as I can save enough $$. Nice thing about the all steel models, they are really fun to shoot. They sit low in the hand and recoil is really tame, even in the powerful .40.

If you think recoil is snappy in the XD, forget a .357 magnum. ESPECIALLY the 340 or any of the airweights. I had an airweight .38 (638) and didn't like it. Wonderful to carry, terrible to shoot. My 638 was 15 ounces unloaded. I recently got a S&W 640 in .38 special, and it is much more pleasant to shoot and easier to hit with. (Very important when you've only got 5 shots). It weighs 20 ounces. Amazing what 5 more ounces will do for shootability!
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I carry my XD9sc pocket carry in shorts quite a bit in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster when it's not in my Max-Con IWB. No problems with it being too heavy, at least for me. It does not pull one side of my pants down below the other If I have them on snug enough in the waist leaving a tell tale sign of something extremely heavy being carried.

The print looks like I have a wallet in my front pocket or maybe a large Blackberry.

I also pocket carry a Ruger SP-101 .357 and I will say full power magnum loads in a snubby is a handful! And the Ruger is an all stainless steel tank. That helps with recoil as well as the rubber grips. As far as I'm concerned it is a noticeable difference than shooting full magnums through an alloy J-frame (airweight) Smith with wood grips which I have found to be painful after shooting just a few rounds.

I'd stick with the autoloader for pocket carry as long as you don't mind the bulk... it won't do ya wrong. And 2 - 3 times the capacity of a 5 shot snubby (without reloading) depending on your magazine capacity.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Comparing the 2 can be difficult. I have and shoot a sub compact CZ RAMI 40 cal, and have shot the old Ruger Speed Six 2.5" heavy barrel .357. Haven't shot the Ruger in quite a while, but even with the added weight of the heavy barrel I think it was harder recoiling than my sub .40. JMO
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Full house 357 in a 3inch sp101 (hogue grip) isnt bad at all, 40sw in my mp40c isnt bad, nor in the sig p239. Biggest thing about 40sw is the muzzle flip is bit more then the ruger. But both recoils are not really that bad.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

WAY more with the .357mag

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by echobaby View Post
    WAY more with the .357mag
    +1.

The S&W 340PD has really caught my eye for the light weight and also stopping power of the .357 Magnum, as well as the ability to pocket carry easily.
    In a light weight J-frame a full house .357 is shockingly brisk. It doesn't hurt (me), but it would probably break my wifes wrist. That said you can always shoot a low recoil round if it bugs you. You can always move down in power if you buy the .357, but if you get a .38 you can't go up.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Make no mistake about it, recoil from the 340 will be severe. The first CC firearm I bought my wife was a Taurus 650 CIA weighing in at 24.2 oz. On the first outing with it we fired several cylinders of 38 sp. for practice and then I loaded it up with full house 357 so she would know what to expect if she ever actually had to use it. After 3 rounds, it was back to the gun store to find something else. I fired a couple of cylinders of 357 out of it and while it didn't kill me, it was definitely punishing. The 350PD weighs in at 12.02 oz., less than half the weight of the Taurus. Imagine full house 357 in something not much heavier than a Kel-Tec P3-AT.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I would personally don't care to fire a full house .357 in anything less than a Med framed 4" barrel.

IMO, the comparison to the .40 would be a hot 38+p in a snubby, the .357 mag is not even close to the same.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I have a S&W, 340M&P (12oz) This gun has the worst recoil/muzzel flip of any gun I have owned. (G23,G22,27, and a Kahr P40, 1911 .45 ACP 5" and 3" barrel.) However, it is my preferred carry gun. If you fire a 50 rd box of 158gr. your hand will hurt. Wait 10 days and do it again, wait 10 days and do it again, you will then be accustomed to the gun and every thing else will feel like a .22 after that.

I have the S&W 340PD and carry it daily (either front pocket or SmartCarry holster)

I gotta tell ya.. the thing kicks like a raped ape. Painful to shoot more than a dozen .357 rounds at a time. Practice .38+p all the time without issue but do carry .357 while carrying.

Great little revolver and so easy to carry. Love it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links