What is your classification in IDPA - USPSA?

What is your classification in IDPA - USPSA?

This is a discussion on What is your classification in IDPA - USPSA? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So what is your highest classification in IDPA or USPSA if you play those games? Any major match winnings? Wondering how many really good shots ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink What is your classification in IDPA - USPSA?

So what is your highest classification in IDPA or USPSA if you play those games?
    Any major match winnings?
    Wondering how many really good shots are here. Not just the self-claimed backyard heroes who flood the Internet with their shooting tips.
    Time the show off Guys,
    I carry a gun cause I can't carry a cop.

Senior Moderator
    IDPA - SSP - Sharpshooter (141.81)
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I finished last on 5 out of 7 stages at my first USPSA match at our local club on April 19 of this year. I shot the production class with 9mm. I actually placed third from last on those other two stages, and we did have one person disqualified on the fifth stage. It was my first match, and I shot the classifier but haven't sent USPSA my membership dues as of yet. My work schedule and club matches don't seem to work out too well. I hope to catch another one soon. I've got several good mag holders now....that's gonna beat sticking them in my pockets.

SS in SSP

Sometimes I do great and am very near the top of the list and sometimes I do very bad and am not at the top. I'm very erratic. And I suck at the classifier.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

SSP - EX, ESP-SS, CDP - SS SSR- SS
    Stock - C, L-10 B, Limited - C, Revolver - C
    I need to stay with one gun but I have fun.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Unclassified CDP, though I did fairly well last match. I need to send in membership dues and shoot a classifier - soon I hope!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

For a forum on Defensive Carry, it does not appear that many use IDPA or USPSA to practice their ART. Why is that. I always thought that competition improves us. The buzzer adds stress and the stages make you think. Plus any trigger time is better than none.
    I try to compete at least once a week on Monday nights and also try for at least 3 weekend events plus practice.
    What do the rest of yopu do to keep you shooting skills tuned?
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    For a forum on Defensive Carry, it does not appear that many use IDPA or USPSA to practice their ART. Why is that?
    The drive to matches.
    The dues.
    Work schedule.
    The amount of rules.
    It seems very complicated from reading about it.
    I'm not real interested in shooting weak hand only around a barrier.
    Carrying 5 magazines and multiple 'strategic' reloads and weak hand reloads have nothing in common with my normal carry.

I may get into it eventually, but right now most of my play money is delegated to purchasing new guns and more ammo.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    SSP Sharpshooter
    CDP Marksman
    ESP Marksman and eternally 3 seconds away from Sharpshooter.

Next: Trying to classify in SSR.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Marksman in CDP, ESP, SSP. I'd be a Sharpshooter now if I had called my last classifier SSP rather than ESP. I came within 1.5 seconds of going up to Sharpshooter in CDP at the Maryland State match.

I have a classifier in two weeks where, barring some seriously unforeseen glitches, I ought to get my SSP/SS.

As soon as I get a wheelgun I plan on going for 5-gun classification.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    The amount of rules.
    It seems very complicated from reading about it.
    I'm not real interested in shooting weak hand only around a barrier.
    Carrying 5 magazines and multiple 'strategic' reloads and weak hand reloads have nothing in common with my normal carry.
    For what it's worth, my experience with IDPA, both at local and at major sanctioned matches, doesn't bear out these concerns. Off-hand shooting is limited by the rules of match design to a very small portion of any match. (Many of our local matches have no required off-hand shots at all.) You only carry two spare mags and most stages can be shot with a single reload. You will never see a weak hand reload in IDPA because it's pretty unsafe to ask people to do something like that when most never practice it.

The rules are not as complicated as the rulebook makes it seem. There are some peculiarities to the sorts of penalties (Procedural Errors) one can pick up, but most of the things required by the rules are for safety reasons.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

USPSA Master (1994)

never classified in IDPA, although I shoot ESP and CDP.

My view on classifications of any kind is simple: It is a great Ego stroker, nothing more. I pay closer attention to how I place at the end of the match, rather than what the card I carry says, or the internet tells me.

When in USPSA, I watched all kinds of people shoot classifiers over and over until they got the score they wanted posted. I also watched club officials help these guys by tossing scores that weren't going to help their buddies too. Then i watched guys deliberately crash classifiers repeatedly to lower their classification, so they would be listed as a C or B shooter going into an area match, then "Presto" they were burning down stages with the Masters and cleaning out the prize tables ahead of other shooters who were honest. For these reasons I left that bunch behind in 2002, never to return.

As for IDPA, I took what I learned from IPSC and never looked back. What I have learned:

• Rating classifications by and large aren't worth the paper they are printed on; As long as the human element is involved, there will exist the propensity for cheating to aggrandize someone's standing. that is why I have always been a proponent of using the entire match as a continuous classifier as long as some basic structures (such as tests for accuracy, speed, movement, etc) are followed. The order of finish can be used to determine standing and classification initially, then competition at area or national matches may be used with greater weight later on.
    • If you want to learn to fight with a gun, go to a school that specializes in this; they are populated with folks that have actually thrown lead in anger and had it thrown back at them, and more importantly these folks know exactly what goes wrong in these encounters.
    • To me, as I have always opined, the real Masters in our hobby are the ones who have survived multiple REAL gunfights (and you know who you are). This experience may well have come from Law Enforcement or Military experience, but nonetheless those are the folks I look to for advice on the subject.

So that is my .02c on the "classes" of shooters in every discipline.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    USPSA Master (1994)

never classified in IDPA, although I shoot ESP and CDP.

My view on classifications of any kind is simple: It is a great Ego stroker, nothing more. I pay closer attention to how I place at the end of the match, rather than what the card I carry says, or the internet tells me.

When in USPSA, I watched all kinds of people shoot classifiers over and over until they got the score they wanted posted. I also watched club officials help these guys by tossing scores that weren't going to help their buddies too. Then i watched guys deliberately crash classifiers repeatedly to lower their classification, so they would be listed as a C or B shooter going into an area match, then "Presto" they were burning down stages with the Masters and cleaning out the prize tables ahead of other shooters who were honest. For these reasons I left that bunch behind in 2002, never to return.

As for IDPA, I took what I learned from IPSC and never looked back. What I have learned:

• Rating classifications by and large aren't worth the paper they are printed on; As long as the human element is involved, there will exist the propensity for cheating to aggrandize someone's standing. that is why I have always been a proponent of using the entire match as a continuous classifier as long as some basic structures (such as tests for accuracy, speed, movement, etc) are followed. The order of finish can be used to determine standing and classification initially, then competition at area or national matches may be used with greater weight later on.
    • If you want to learn to fight with a gun, go to a school that specializes in this; they are populated with folks that have actually thrown lead in anger and had it thrown back at them, and more importantly these folks know exactly what goes wrong in these encounters.
    • To me, as I have always opined, the real Masters in our hobby are the ones who have survived multiple REAL gunfights (and you know who you are). This experience may well have come from Law Enforcement or Military experience, but nonetheless those are the folks I look to for advice on the subject.

So that is my .02c on the "classes" of shooters in every discipline.

I perfectly agree with you on the USPSA / IDPA classification system. IMO there should be non at all or major match placement should be used as classification.
    Last edited by TheHun; August 11th, 2008 at 10:26 PM.
    I carry a gun cause I can't carry a cop.

Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    For a forum on Defensive Carry, it does not appear that many use IDPA or USPSA to practice their ART. Why is that. I always thought that competition improves us. The buzzer adds stress and the stages make you think. Plus any trigger time is better than none.
    I try to compete at least once a week on Monday nights and also try for at least 3 weekend events plus practice.
    What do the rest of yopu do to keep you shooting skills tuned?
    Man, I wish I had the resources to shoot that much! I'm doing well if I shoot one match a month, and hit the range once between matches.

I haven't shot a classifier yet, but I generally end up in the middle of the pack in both CDP and SSP.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    For what it's worth, my experience with IDPA, both at local and at major sanctioned matches, doesn't bear out these concerns. Off-hand shooting is limited by the rules of match design to a very small portion of any match. (Many of our local matches have no required off-hand shots at all.) You only carry two spare mags and most stages can be shot with a single reload. You will never see a weak hand reload in IDPA because it's pretty unsafe to ask people to do something like that when most never practice it.

The rules are not as complicated as the rulebook makes it seem. There are some peculiarities to the sorts of penalties (Procedural Errors) one can pick up, but most of the things required by the rules are for safety reasons.
    +1

It seems pretty complex at first, but it gets a lot easier after your first few matches. Three mags for each gun should suffice.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links