Defensive Carry banner

Storage of handguns in Safe. Or how do i get as much in as possible

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  SARR001 
#1 ·
What kind of racks or better yet what did you build to store your handguns im running out of room and nned to do somethen i got a 6 handgun rack but little to big and bulky for my taste ...

Show me your pics of how the safe is orginized

#2 ·
No pics avalaible but I find alternating them on the shelf creates more room. I set them up so that the muzzle of one is below the butt of the other, and then rotate the second one such that the butt of the second gun is just below the muzzle of the first one.

Clear as mud?

Another way to phrase it is that they're laid out as mirror images of each other across the axis running along the butt of the first handgun, but then one of them is flipped across the axis perpendicular to that and they're scooted as close together as possible.

#3 ·
Euclidean said:
No pics avalaible but I find alternating them on the shelf creates more room. I set them up so that the muzzle of one is below the butt of the other, and then rotate the second one such that the butt of the second gun is just below the muzzle of the first one.

Clear as mud?

Another way to phrase it is that they're laid out as mirror images of each other across the axis running along the butt of the first handgun, but then one of them is flipped across the axis perpendicular to that and they're scooted as close together as possible.
:confused: :hmmmm: :33: :puzzled: :dontknow: :Eyecrazy: :headscrat

#4 ·
Euclidean said:

Clear as mud?

i wanna store them so that there a little more protected than that

#5 ·
Not sure what you mean by protection Bud - assuming if in safe and not in damaging contact!

I am well short on space myself but did add some home made shelves to almost double what the safe first offered - and covered those extra ones with fleece. Still tho kept a part for long guns - the more important ones.

I'll try one or flash pics of my shelves to see if it shows anything useful, and post if any good.

#7 ·
Ahh OK Bud - that was all I could think off yeah.

Well - just took a real quick pic - flash, so not good lighting and does not show really all that is needed. However, you may see how on lower right I have added extra shelves (the dark ones), plus one real high at top. The side ones are close as I can get them and yet still slide hand in - plus they are quite deep so - usually room for three guns per shelf or more - even can place small semi's near upright against side wall but most lay flat.

The top shelf on right with BFR and Contender stuff is a bit larger and also has odd barrels - again stuff on side and rarely if ever touch - at least not what matters. Then above is a full width and depth main shelf - where really I just place guns on side and arrange so as best to fit 'em in. I have plans to make up one or two wooden dealies to allow more upright positioning on some - so guns side by side a bit but separated by wood.

I can't get much more in!!

#9 ·
Ahh - meant to mention those.

Soon after I got the safe I called Safari and asked the guy real nice if he could send me some spare ones - IIRC he did at no charge tho, I was quite prepared to spend a few bucks just to get em.

Yeah, they are special to that system.

#10 ·
You might wish to install some hangers on the gun safe door. Done correctly it can help to create a lot of extra room and they look nice when you open the door.

#11 ·
Nearly mentioned about hangers but in my case - the door all but impinges on front of shelves so - only space that might work is on left side - even then, because longarms somewhat ''crowded'' - not sure if clearance even then.

Heck - the office is littered with older rifles so really need at least one more safe, maybe two - but that won't happen - nowhere to put them!!

#13 ·
I looked into it Bud and I don't think sturdy is any concern - but as I said, clearance between door and shelves, for me anyways - is a limiting factor.

#14 ·
I have 2 1911s, a 6" Python, a 4" Trooper and a 7.75" High Standard. Using the tray from my bullseye shooter's box, I could get them all on the top shelf, but would not be able to get them out in a hurry (as in, reach in, grab gun and come up shooting). Without the tray, the High Standard has to go muzzle down on the floor of the safe behind the rifle butts.

Since the tray holds 5 guns, I could get two more in laying flat between the grips of the racked guns and the upright board of the tray, but it would have to be no bigger than a 1911.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.