What is a good gun Caliber to start out with?

This is a discussion on What is a good gun Caliber to start out with? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is a good caliber to start out with? A good friend of mine is wanting to buy her first gun this weekend. shes wanting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good gun Caliber to start out with?

Question What is a good gun Caliber to start out with?

What is a good caliber to start out with? A good friend of mine is wanting to buy her first gun this weekend. shes wanting to buy a .45. I was told when i bought my first gun that i should start of with a 9mm and work my way up. Do you think this is good advices for my friend?
    American Gun Owners
    To bring Gun owners all across America together for Debates and Discussions
    www.americangunowners.net

2. Remove Ads

If she can find a range that will rent guns, trying several different types and calibers would be her best option.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Indeed...try several. She may not be able to handle a .380. You never know. Have you let your friend try out your pistol(s)?

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I dont see a problem starting out with .45acp. Its not a bad recoil even compared to 9mm.

What she should be wary of is what type of gun she is comfortable with.

If she needs a safety or not . . . . easy to break downand maintain, etc.

Is she diciplined enough to own a combat style handgun, i.e. no active safeties.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

1)What does she intend to use the gun for, recreation or defense?

2) Does she have any experience w/ firearms?

3) Why did she decide on a .45?

It doesn't depend upon the gun or the caliber, basically, it's the person.
    One could take a .22, a .38 or 9mm, and a .45 to the range and let the person fire each one a few times...see how it goes.

Stay armed...be safe...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Spend $250 on a used Ruger Mk2 and enjoy life at 4c/round. Unbeatable to learn on, and great to develop shooting.

After that, well.........

VIP Member
    As others have said. Find a range that rents guns to shoot, have her try different guns and calibers, both semi's and revolvers. Let her decide what fits her best and what she can shoot best. She may like a wheel gun to start out with, plenty of good 38/357 on the market, or she might decide she wants a semi, caliber will depend on what she can handle the recoil on.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    Spend $250 on a used Ruger Mk2 and enjoy life at 4c/round. Unbeatable to learn on, and great to develop shooting.
    +1 on starting with a .22. It's conducive to lots of practice practice practice 'cause of the inexpensive ammo and it builds confidence for later, when you have to deal with issues like flinching and limp wristing. Instead, the focus will initially be, as it should be, on SAFETY FIRST.

After putting in a few hundred rounds on 22, then do the gun range rental thing.

After you

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    My wife and I started with a .357 mag. loaded w/ .38+P's. There were no range rentals at that time so our purchase (2 pistols for the price of one today) was based on the recommendation of the LEO across the street. No regrets, though a .22 would have been a bunch of fun!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I work part time at an indoor range and have seen many women shoot well with the .45 caliber rentals. Sometimes starting "at- the -top" or with a difficult gun and learning how to shoot it well makes success more rewarding. Here lately I have been shooting a Smith model 19 with a 2.5 inch barrel double action at twenty five yards using 125 grain .357 loads. It can be frustrating but I am improving each time, hence more rewarding. Tell her to go for it in .45 cal and practice as much as she can.

The absolute best way to find out is to physically try different types of guns and different calibers.

Everyone will handle a gun differently at first and and all the opinions in the world won't fit all peoples shooting skills.

Obviously .22 cal is probably both the easiest and cheapest to shoot. They are also fun to shoot.

But if going for a defensive weapon and don't have enough money to get a .22 also, well then you must decide on which caliber you want for your defensive gun.

If you can't find a range with rentals, then ask someone who has a few different guns and calibers to go to the range with you and start from there.

I've seen 110 pound 15 year old girls compete with high scores with 1911 .45 acp's. They probably didn't start off with those weapons, but maybe they did.

Do your friend a favor and have your friend try out a few different guns first.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by XDGirl View Post
    What is a good caliber to start out with? A good friend of mine is wanting to buy her first gun this weekend. shes wanting to buy a .45. I was told when i bought my first gun that i should start of with a 9mm and work my way up. Do you think this is good advices for my friend?

Have your friend take a Handgun Safety Course that also has some "Range time."

The providers of the course should also be providing a selection of handguns to sample. Also, this will allow her to work on her stance and grip, as well as letting her sample some various guns to find out what she likes.

Biker

Truth of the matter is that a lot of women are very good with a .45 ACP, even to the point of out shooting the man of the house.

Old school wheelgun 38 Spl or 357 Mag, grips to fit her. Practice with .38 range loads. Lotta women can never get the whole slide charging thing down every time. Revolver all she gotta do is squeeze.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links