Best "Budget" O/U

Best "Budget" O/U

This is a discussion on Best "Budget" O/U within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know some guys may say the title of this thread is a misnomer but I'm holding out hope. I'd like to find a nice ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Best "Budget" O/U

I know some guys may say the title of this thread is a misnomer but I'm holding out hope. I'd like to find a nice O/U (doesn't have to be pretty) for less than $500. If it can't be done & I'd be purchasing pure junk at that price, just say it.

I want this gun to shoot trap/skeet & hunt pheasant/quail.

Administrator
    Its a tough bill to fill... a decent O/U at $500. I know some of the off brands sold at the box stores make some, but they are not that great. Why must it be an O/U? You can get a real nice pump for that money.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Why must it be an O/U? You can get a real nice pump for that money.
    I've already got a great pump action Benelli Nova that I enjoy shooting. I think I'm going to turn it into a turkey gun. I want something to use for wingshooting & trap/skeet.

I'd consider an autoloader if it wasn't too heavy.

some turkish brand O/U aren't too bad I have an American Arms silver 2 I have shot skeet and sporting clays with went bang everytime and has 3" chambers if ya wanta punish yourself,I have had it over ten years and put thousands of rounds thru it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    I've already got a great pump action Benelli Nova that I enjoy shooting. I think I'm going to turn it into a turkey gun. I want something to use for wingshooting & trap/skeet.

I'd consider an autoloader if it wasn't too heavy.
    I switched to an auto from a O/U, its been my experience that they are much lighter. Franchi makes a decent gun in both actions, you can find them close to 5 if you look hard enough.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Baikal maybe? Not sure what the new prices are anymore. You may want to scour the 'Net or whatever for used guns. Not sure you will meet your price point otherwise.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Why must it be an O/U? You can get a real nice pump for that money.
    In my experience, it's hard to shoot doubles trap or skeet with a pump, unless you're very fast! The pumping action takes time to reload the 2nd shot, and also can throw your aim off. My 2¢
    Last edited by JonInNY; August 18th, 2008 at 09:58 AM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Administrator
    Skeet will be tougher, but there is plenty of time in doubles.
    "Just blame Sixto"

IMHO, it just can't be done for under $500......I don't think you'd even be able to find something decent used in an O/U at that price.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    IMHO, it just can't be done for under $500......I don't think you'd even be able to find something decent used in an O/U at that price.
    +1

I think someone is probably better off saving more money and buying a decent used Beretta, Browning or Ruger.

If you look hard enough there are decent deals out there on used O/Us that have hardly been fired. A lot of wealthy men shoot sporting clays once, get all excited and run out the next day and spent $2500+ on an O/U. They go shooting a couple more times and then realize that golf is just as fun WITHOUT the bruised shoulder, then they sell the O/U.

You might take a look at the Stoeger Condor. I've never had one of their O/Us, but I used to use a Stoeger Uplander for CAS and I know several CAS shooters who use Stoeger Coach Guns and they seem to be pretty reliable. I currently own an Uplander Supreme that I use for hunting and it has proven to be a very good firearm.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Go to the Nearest Academy Outdoors(only place that sells them) and get yourself a Yildiz!!!!
    I bought my son a 20gauge 2 weeks ago and have ran 4 boxes of sheels thru it at the skeet range...Very sweet and a Beautiful gun! 399.00 at Academy. I'm going back payday top get me a 12 gauge! I looked for 2 months before buying this one and am NOT SORRY!
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I know several CAS shooters who use Stoeger Coach Guns and they seem to be pretty reliable.

Hoss
    Those look like nice guns- would be great to get the parts since they seem to have a strong American presence.

What is a "coach gun?" I have seen that title for other shotguns as well.

Quote Originally Posted by billfromtx View Post
    Go to the Nearest Academy Outdoors(only place that sells them) and get yourself a Yildiz!!!!
    Those look like nice guns as well. Do they have "auto ejectors?" I'm not sure if I am terming that correctly, but I'd like a gun that ejects the spent "shells" when I break open the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    Those look like nice guns- would be great to get the parts since they seem to have a strong American presence.

What is a "coach gun?" I have seen that title for other shotguns as well.
    20" barreled SXS shotgun. Used mainly for CAS, though they make an intimidating HD shotgun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links