Taurus "Judge" Ultra-lite

This is a discussion on Taurus "Judge" Ultra-lite within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking about getting this as a simple fun gun to shoot and am intrigued that it also can fire 410 shells. There is a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taurus "Judge" Ultra-lite

Taurus "Judge" Ultra-lite

I'm thinking about getting this as a simple fun gun to shoot and am intrigued that it also can fire 410 shells. There is a the regular model, and the ultra-lite, and someone told me that the ultra-lite is MUCH lighter than the regular, and thus would be terrible for shooting the 410. Any advice on this? And if the stubby or 6.5" barrel would be better? Any comments on the gun at all would be great. Just thinking about it right now.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

2. Remove Ads

I've seen a 3", a 4", and a 6.5" barrel (or close to those measurements). I think the 4" is rare. I've also seen a model that didn't have the name "Judge" on it. I've read the 3" chamber may be available soon in addition to the 2.5" chamber available now.

I haven't shot one yet so I have no comments on how they shoot.

The UL version weighs 22.4 oz., the standard version weighs 29 oz. for 7.4 oz. difference. I know several people with one of these in 45/.410 and they are about 19 oz. with a limited grip area. Since the UL Judge still weighs in at 22.4 oz. and has a respectable grip, I don't think the difference would be uncontrollable.

Hoss

ps -- if you're not planning on this being a EDC, I'd go ahead and get the heavier version. I'd stick with the 3" barrel in case you wanted to use it for a car gun.
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    before you buy a taurus Judge for SD. Read this The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    The Taurus Judge Ultra-lite will be my next gun purchase. It is being bought for a specific purpose and that is my "woods gun". It will be what I carry when I go off tripping into the wilds hiking, camping or hunting. With a 410 bird shot in the first chamber for snakes and the rest loaded with heavy lead nose hallow points for critters (ie black bears, cougars or the two legged kind (meth cooks)).

My only wishes for the weapon is that it was a double action only version, but can live with it as it is. Throw it into a Bianchi X-15 with a HKS speedloader of five extra rounds and I'd feel comfortable against anything I run up against, including any wild hogs stupid enough to get within range.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    I haven't fired an ultra-lite version, but the recoil on the regular version is surprisingly light. Just for general information, there is a version with a 4" barrel. It was made by Taurus exclusively for the big distributor Sports South. I have heard and read about the 3" cylinder model, but have never seen one. I have had two of the 4" barrel model a blue one that came out before Taurus decided to use the name "Judge" and a stainless one with Judge on the barrel.

I like the Judge a great deal, but have sold both and am planning to get an ultra-lite in the next month or so.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

This is exactly what I'm looking for -- Thanks so much! All my handguns are short barrel, so I was sort of leaning toward the 6 inch just to go for something different.

Wow, I haven't heard of it coming out in a 3 inch for 410 shells? I suppose it will still accept the same .45LC....

Online Gun Deals - Items This nice woman has the 3", 4", and the 6.5" in blued, polished, stainless, and ultra-lite....she also sold us our two LCP's.

Please keep the opinions coming! BTW, what is SD?
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I must confess: I have had three Judges and I love them.

I got one with a finish I didn't like, so I traded it in on one I did like. Then, a few weeks ago, I traded that one in on one of the ones with a 3-inch chamber.

I can't really make an informed comment on the issue of light vs. heavy. All of mine have been heavies.

But I gotta tell ya, the Judge is one fun sumbuck to shoot and have around.

It might be that there are better tools for each job to which one might employ the Judge. I certainly wouldn't doubt it.

But for fun in the sun (my 10-year old son and 14-year old daughter LOVE shooting the doggoned thing - - you can hit ANYTHING with it up close), it can't be beat.

I employ it primarily as a "fun at the range" gun, "woods gun" and "room defense" gun (try some of those Winchester 5-pellet 000 buckshot loads with it at ten feet sometime - - maybe not the Hammer of Thor, but you could do a lot worse-- think of 5 .380's at once or 5 .32 S&W Spls. at once).

And you can sure kick it up a notch with some .45 LC's - - Buffalo Bore makes a nice standard pressure load.

I do the woods carry thing with No. 4's, followed by buckshot, followed by a .45 LC. I can't wait to try the Hevi-Shot 3-inch No. 4's out of it...I'll order some from Midway here in the next few days.

It's versatile and a hoot to shoot.

I'd go for it.

Heck, if you don't like it, I'll bet you can sell it pretty quickly. They're flying off the shelves according to the gun dealers to whom I've spoken with them.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    before you buy a taurus Judge for SD. Read this The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1
    Beat me to it but a very valid point. The ads sure look nice but I would not want to have my life on the line with one of those in my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay6 View Post
    Beat me to it but a very valid point. The ads sure look nice but I would not want to have my life on the line with one of those in my hands.

What about loaded with .45 long colt rounds though?

Thanks for the terrific insight, Randy....

Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig View Post
    The Taurus Judge Ultra-lite will be my next gun purchase. It is being bought for a specific purpose and that is my "woods gun". It will be what I carry when I go off tripping into the wilds hiking, camping or hunting. With a 410 bird shot in the first chamber for snakes and the rest loaded with heavy lead nose hallow points for critters (ie black bears, cougars or the two legged kind (meth cooks)).

Carrying a gun for "snake defense" is pure foolishness of the nth degree. If you are CLOSE to a venomous snake you won't be wanting to take time to pull a gun and shoot. Just BOGIE out of there at warp speed! If you are further away, do the decent thing and walk around it. Snakes, in general, are a part of nature and there is no sensible reason to kill one unless they are in a location where they present a threat to children, pets, or livestock.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    What about loaded with .45 long colt rounds though?

Thanks for the terrific insight, Randy....
    NOt a big 1911 fan but in this case just carry a 1911 same size bullet, but you you have 3 more rounds + easier to carry and more comfortable plus cheaper.

I would buy a judge if there was a competition to win money shooting clay pidgeons with a handgun other than that for SD just carry a modern .45 thats comfortable.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    BTW, what is SD?
    Self Defense.

That's my best guess.

Ya know, sometimes I'm like a moth to a flame and even though I know I'm going to get burnt, here goes anyway.

I think too many of us are too quick to write off the little 410 as a defense cartridge. GIVEN CERTAIN SITUATIONS AND CIRCUMSTANCES and loaded with the proper ammunition, I believe the 410 can be a legitimate SD firearm.

As an anti-carjacking firearm. In this situation, you're seated in your auto and the BG is standing trying to persuade you to give him your car. In all likelihood, any shot from you is going to be at an upward angle. A miss means your heavyweight 45 bullet is on a mission to find something, or someone, to kill at a trajectory that helps it get the job done. On the other hand, a 410 loaded with a Winchester Super X, max charge, 1/2 oz. (about 210 grains) of #4 shot (about 67 pellets) is definitely going to give the BG a bad day at 5 to 10 feet but have little chance of injuring someone after traveling 30 yards and going through a window. And don't kid yourself, the shot column is going to spread out even at that short distance. If you don't think so, try shooting a buckshot load out of a rifled barrel slug gun.

As an apartment or very close quarters HD gun. Not everyone has the luxury of living in a house on a couple of acres. If you live in an apartment with paper thin walls, the little 410 may be your only choice between going unarmed or risking your children or neighbors.

In the 410, bird shot (7 1/2 to 8) should be relegated to snakes and small varmints, but before Uncle Sam decided we couldn't use lead shot on waterfowl, I killed a LOT of ducks and geese with #4 lead shot from a 12 gauge at 35-40 yards and that magnum 12 gauge load is only traveling about 90 fps faster than that little max charge of #4 out of the 410.

Would the 410 be my first choice for a SD or HD firearm? Nope, but given certain living arrangements, I could see it as a HD firearm and if I lived in a big enough city where carjackings were common, I could see it being valuable there also. I have a Winchester 9410 that is my constant companion when the family is out at our ranch. It's in a known rattlesnake area and I have 6 grandkids ranging from 2 yrs. to 14 yrs. and any rattlesnake that wants to maintain his place in nature better not do it on my property.

Zach and Holly -- If you want one of these little guns, don't let anyone talk you out of it as long as it's not your only firearm. You'll either love it, hate it, or find it to only be a novelty but I'm betting you can have some real fun with it at the range. At 10 years old, I started out with a 410 Iver-Johnson single shot and I managed to put a fair amount of meat on the table with it. Don't think I'd want to face down a bear with one, but they're a long way from a BB gun.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Thanks for the great post. We do live in an apartment with paper thin walls, and currently, I own the mossberg 12 gauge breacher shotgun with #12 shot as a self defense weapon. Not to open up the "paper thin walls" conversation all over again, but I suppose the Judge could be used in these certain cases.

I'm getting excited! I've done a little research on the 3" chamber, and I might lean that way. Now, if only I could decide between the 3" and 6.5" barrel...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links