Rifle rampage - three dead in Lauderhill

This is a discussion on Rifle rampage - three dead in Lauderhill within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Extracted parragraphs from the Sun-Sentinel. Full article here. Twelve minutes. Three execution-style murders. The man authorities say is responsible for a murderous rampage Friday night ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle rampage - three dead in Lauderhill

VIP Member

Exclamation Rifle rampage - three dead in Lauderhill

Extracted parragraphs from the Sun-Sentinel. Full article here.

Twelve minutes. Three execution-style murders.

The man authorities say is responsible for a murderous rampage Friday night laughed as he put his rifle in a bystander's mouth and pulled the trigger, police reports show. The murder weapon was found dripping with evidence of the victim's deaths.
    One person survived the violence by leaping from a second-story apartment window, breaking several bones.

Detectives on Saturday were still trying to piece together what caused Sunrise resident Ralston Davis Jr., 21, to kill a woman he had known for only a month and two people he encountered at a gas station, said Veda Coleman-Wright, spokeswoman for the Broward Sheriff's Office.

By the time Davis's violent trek from Lauderhill to west of Fort Lauderdale had finished, Myosha "Mimi" Proby, 28; Carlos Jones, 26; and Ravindra Basdeo, 29, had been killed execution-style, police said. Davis has been arrested and charged with three counts of first-degree murder.

"He offered no explanation. He wanted to speak to an attorney," Coleman-Wright said. "To have three people shot in what, 20 minutes? It's shocking to anyone."......

Proby and her cousin, Tish Harrell, 32, let Davis in. He was calm at first, dressed in all black with a hood pulled up, Harrell said Saturday. His calm demeanor melted into rage, with Davis claiming Proby had introduced him to someone who "set him up," Harrell said.

Davis ordered Proby to the floor and shot her several times, she said.

"I could see the shells popping. I could feel the heat from the gun," said Harrell, who quickly escaped through a sliding glass door into a second-floor balcony and jumped to the ground, landing on her face and chest.

At 10:48 p.m., police received calls from the Exxon gas station at Sunrise Boulevard and Northwest 31st Avenue. . The reports said a man in a silver car was firing a rifle, according to Davis's arrest report.

The first victim, Basdeo, was sitting in his car when Davis walked up and ordered him to open his window, the arrest report said. He then told Basdeo to open his mouth.
    A witness "then observed the suspect laughing, place the gun in the victim's mouth and shoot him," Sheriff's Detective Frank Ilarraza wrote in his report.

The final victim, Jones, was walking out of the Exxon convenience store with snacks for the Swap Shop drive-in across the street when authorities said Davis confronted him.

Jones and his girlfriend, Jennifer Josephson, 20, watched Davis kill Basdeo. Davis then ordered Jones to lie on the ground, placed the gun to his head and fired multiple times, according to the arrest report.
    Deputies arrived a few minutes later. It didn't take long for them to catch up with Davis. Two Fort Lauderdale officers saw his car near the Exxon station and pursued him to Florida's Turnpike, where police stopped Davis and arrested him. The bloody rifle and an empty magazine were on the front-passenger seat, the arrest report said.
    When I saw this case on the TV News my first thought was "Why would you be meek and comply with that order?" I feel bad for the victims but Lord Almighty, even if I was not carrying, I think I would put up a fight from somebody who is not asking me for my valuables but just to simply lay down. You gotta know he is up to no good.

Anybody else's thoughts?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    When I saw this case on the TV News my first thought was "Why would you be meek and comply with that order?"
    Anybody else's thoughts?
    Psychologists have been studying and writing about this for decades. There was a book called Obedance (sp?) to Authority by Stanley Milgram that took the field by surprise in the 60's.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

In a word fear.
    Most people think if they comply the nut job will be less upset and not do something crazy.

Me, I'll go down fighting.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

I cant imigne after watching this nut ball shoot someone the second guy just lays down...

Sorry not gonna be me even i dont have a gun im going out fighting

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    I cant imigne after watching this nut ball shoot someone the second guy just lays down...

Sorry not gonna be me even i dont have a gun im going out fighting
    +1
    If someone wants to take me out, their gonna have to earn it (or shoot me in the back)

A friend of mine has this banner on his computer:

"Chance favors the prepared mind"...this news story is yet another reminder for all. I fervently hope the lawyer isn't able to help Davis; SEEMS like a cinch for the DA.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Thumbs down This guy may not get the death sentence he so richly deserves....

Quote Originally Posted by Kompact9
    A friend of mine has this banner on his computer:

"Chance favors the prepared mind"...this news story is yet another reminder for all. I fervently hope the lawyer isn't able to help Davis; SEEMS like a cinch for the DA.
    Chance favors the prepared mind is from a Steven Seagal movie "Under Seige 2" and one of the BG's used that as his fav phrase. But it's still true.

I can't help but think that the killing of the acquaintance was premeditated murder for a perceived wrong done by the victim. Then he caps the next two in order to set up his insanity defense. Folks who are off their nut and carry out this sort of spree killing usually wind up dead in one of two ways: Suicide by cop or plain old suicide.

This guy surrendered, because he plans to spend some time in a mental hospital not a jail and get out at some point.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    I think a Florida jury will see through his nonsense and recommend the penalty he deserves.

Matt

Exclamation I think South Florida and the rest of Florida are two different states

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson
    I think a Florida jury will see through his nonsense and recommend the penalty he deserves. Matt
    Not in Broward, Dade or Palm Beach counties. Probably not in Monroe county, either. These are the liberal bastions of the state. He may get away with an insanity plea....and they'll probably blame the gun, too.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Moderator
    I hope not. We'll have to see.

Matt

VIP Member
    Terrible.

People have been fed, "if you do what they ask, they'll take what they want and go away." Sometimes the person doesn't want your wallet, he wants your life. You have the chance of dying right now is not a concept a lot of people want to grasp.

I also think that when people are startled, they do as they are told, because nothing else computes when fear is overwhelming.

Situational awareness aside, the odds of surviving a face-off against a man who already has a rifle pointed at me are slim, but I'll still try.

One person survived the violence by leaping from a second-story apartment window, breaking several bones.
    That had to hurt, but luckily she's alive.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Assistant Administrator
    Horrific.

Enraged, insane - what does it matter, in as much as this scumbag does not deserve any more of OUR oxygen - he has in my book abrogated all normal human rights and deserves none.

This apparent aquiescence by victims reminds me of the students - year or more ago? - who kneeled and were executed (one girl miraculously survived) - holy crap - even if not armed, something has to be tried so as to go down fighting - anything at all.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Not in Broward, Dade or Palm Beach counties. Probably not in Monroe county, either. These are the liberal bastions of the state. He may get away with an insanity plea....and they'll probably blame the gun, too.
    I don't think Dade would go easy on this idiot. Ask Lionel Tate and his Mom. He did get Life for killing that little girl even though the decission was later trown out by the 4th district court of appeals which is located in Palm Beach. However this case will be tried in Broward and I do have to agree that it does not look good that true justice will be served.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Lead Moderator
    What is wrong with some people? This senseless shooting perp needs to be put down,fast. Gotta wonder why he would do something this stupid and uncaring.

VIP Member
    Rocky:
    It seems the young "gentleman" had a history of violence. I just read the Miami Herald and it seems that he was somewhat involved in another murder 2 years ago but nothing couldn't be proven for court.

I am still going over this case. Are we as society so conditioned that we are willing to take the instructions of a madman knowing that you may end up dead? If anything this shows that you must fight even though you may die as opposed to submit where you surely will die.
    Randy Cain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links