Trust your gut.

Trust your gut.

This is a discussion on Trust your gut. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Posted on Thu, Dec. 01, 2005 Around Miami-Dade County MIAMI GARDENS TEENAGER KILLED IN ROBBERY ATTEMPT A 17-year-old waiting in a drive-through at a burger ...

Thread: Trust your gut.

VIP Member

Trust your gut.

Posted on Thu, Dec. 01, 2005
    Around Miami-Dade County

MIAMI GARDENS

TEENAGER KILLED IN ROBBERY ATTEMPT

A 17-year-old waiting in a drive-through at a burger joint was killed in an apparent robbery attempt, authorities said.

Joseph Guy, 29, the driver, and Evan Page, his passenger, were in line Tuesday night at the Checkers at (location deleted). when a robber opened the passenger-side door and demanded their belongings.

Page got out of the car, grappled with the robber and was shot under the left armpit, police said. The robber, in his 20s, ran away.
    Side Note: Evan Page was a member of the Explorers, a group sponsored by the Boy Scouts and the Miami-Dade Police Department. He wanted to become a MDPD officer.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

This event happened close from where I live.

The three of four corners of that intersection are commercial area. Banks, supermarkets, other fast food franchises and assorted business can be found. The Checkers restaurant is located at a shopping plaza in the SE corner of the intersection. Now the funny thing is that I always had this weariness about that area but not on the other three. The bank I do business with is inmediately west (across the street), a park where my mother and wife go walking is inmediately north, I rent movies and get breakfast on the NW corner shopping plaza. None of those areas give me the creeps. Next door to that Checkers is a Miami Subs restaurant which I occasionally go to get some late night meal coming from work late at night and I invariably have my gun out while at the drive-thru and scan non-stop till I am served and out of there. For some reason or another I always felt that it might be dangerous hanging around there but I could not tell you an specific event or set of circumstances that led me to that conclussion. Just a gut feeling.
    Trying not to sound perverse, I feel that my gut feels vindicated for being right. At the same time I feel terrible for that kid.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    The little voice inside us is there for a reason, (to keep us alive) always listen to it. (Unless it tells you the grass is greener on the other side, then don't listen)

Bruces45 hit the nail squarely on the head...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

When your spidersense is a tingling there is usually a good reason for that ..

I get the same way about certain places i got there a partystore right by my house i will not go into but the sub shop 2 doors down is ok figure that one out

Assistant Administrator
    Tragic and as ever wondering, trying to visualize - avoidable?

Good con' yellow and CCW - maybe a different outcome? Very probably.

I never ignore the old spidey sense - better to be wrong than in trouble.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lightbulb When you can't be with the weapon you love, USE the weapon you're IN!

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Good con' yellow and CCW - maybe a different outcome? Very probably.
    CCW for the victim, here? He was 17. Not possible under Florida law. But if somebody had trained him on proper Condition Yellow and he had some CQB or hand to hand training, this might have turned out differently.

I RARELY do drive thru dining precisely because you are so bottled up, perfect ambush meat. Many of these joints have HUGE curbs on either side, so that only a HUMMER has any hope of climbing out. With the exception of having to draw and go to condition RED, the best option IMHO is to use the 3000 pound weapon (give or take) you happen to be sitting inside to escape such an event. This is one really valid reason to own a 4x4 SUV, even if you wouldn't otherwise take the vehicle offroad recreationally. If you're caught in a vehicular ambush, your #1 responsibility is not to respond with force, but to get the heck out of the KILL ZONE!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Sorry Ex - I was thinking generally compared with here, where there is an age consideration! Then too there was the driver, who could perhaps have in some way intervened.

Impossible to really know, and probably things happened fast - which in con' white means it is happening before any reaction possible to circumvent.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    unless the driver reacts too, anyone would be in a tight spot sitting in a passenger seat.

I hate this town more every day.
    The Marshmallowist

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    unless the driver reacts too, anyone would be in a tight spot sitting in a passenger seat.
    Agreed. But I would think the passenger having both hands free and not as encumbered (steering wheel, etc) might have more of a chance IF it is his side that is approached.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Why don't people lock their car doors when they get into a car? Mine automatically lock on the one I have now but I had to get that option installed with my alarm system on the 'Bird but it was well worth the money.

Wayne

Sometimes that little voice will tell you to just leave and it won't make sense to you. Just do it. I had this feeling once while washing my car and a scruffy looking guy walked past. I rinsed and left. This voice is right 100% of the time. Sure, some will say but nothing never happens. That because you left.
    Last edited by QKShooter; December 6th, 2005 at 07:13 PM. Reason: correct minor typo error
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Administrator
    Oh Man...a 17 year old life snuffed out because the kid wanted to get a burger & some fries.
    The Animal~Criminals do not care if you live or die.

Stay Aware Stay Alive...People.

I agree with you folks about paying attention to that still small voice.
    I'm not sure that voice is fully developed in most civilian kids that young though.

Good comment BlueLion!

Links