When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think? - Page 3

When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think?

This is a discussion on When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ronwill ... S&W Model 500 for my trips to Alaska, ... envy...

View Poll Results: When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 13.21%
  • No

241 86.07%
  • N/A: I would never buy a firearm.

1 0.36%
  • N/A: I only own hunting firearms.

0 0%
  • N/A: I would not use a gun in SD.

1 0.36%
  • N/A: I only own hunting firearms & I would not use a gun in SD.

0 0%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think?

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    ... S&W Model 500 for my trips to Alaska, ...
    envy

Nope.....it doesn't matter anyway, because if it ever goes to trial there gonna think I'm crazy either way because I'm a Marine......

Quote Originally Posted by SGTMOE View Post
    Nope.....it doesn't matter anyway, because if it ever goes to trial there gonna think I'm crazy either way because I'm a Marine......
    Wow, good answer. I never thought of that. Sort of like it does not matter what you buy, your a Marine, and to some, that would trump all the other issues (though being a Marine could also be a plus).

Still, I had not considered the trump.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Nope. I never do anything with a jury in mind.

I have never considered what a jury might think about any of the guns I own. But I was told that carrying more than 1 spare magazine might increase the 'cowboy factor' in a jury's eyes.

Having read about that retired teacher in Arizona who defended himself w/his 10mm. worries me though. I use the same ammo as the police do.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    A good shoot is a good shoot, who gives a damn if the gun is black and scary or pink and fluffy.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Not at all. I worry about individual encounters, my reactions, and how a jury will preceive it. The problem is people put too much faith in juries to make the right decision if THEY go on trial for defending themselves. A jury will make a decision on "their" interpertation of the law. A lot of people who sit on juries are not educated in self defense and how they view a case may not be what you and I believe is right. That is what you should fear, I do anyway.

A good example, a guy threathning you with a knife 21 feet away and you shoot him at that distance. Most jurys will say, he was 21 feet away, there is no way he could have stabbed you. Well, we all know how quick someone can close in on you 21 feet away.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I'm curious as to why you have as one of the poll choices:

"N/A: I would never buy a firearm."

Considering the forum that we are all a part of, I would say it's reasonable to assume that every member here has a firearm. I would be extremely surprised if anyone truthfully checked that option.
    I'd have had to check this poll choice before January of this year. I own two, now (the BATF will tell you four, including my partial ARs), but just sayin', not everyone might be as fortunate.

As it stands now, I selected "No."

-B

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The last thing on my mind when firing in self defense would be what the jury will be thinking. Quite frankly, I could care less what they think, because the only thing I care about is at the end of my confrontation with an attacker, I'm still breathing.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I put yes. I was never swayed over much, or that is to say I have never been put off of a gun purchase for this reason. When I was in the USCG I CC'd the same model of pistol off duty (SIG P229R-DAK) that I wore at work. I did this for two reasons. First, being my area firearm instructor a trained with the 229 all the time. And I mean every day. So I thought why put all that free training to wast and carry some other gun. Secondly, I figured if I ever used the SIG off duty in a defencive shooting it could never hurt to be able to say in front of the jury "I used the same model of gun to defend my life that I carry every day at work to defend myself and our country from drug smugglers and illegal immigrants."-Jay

When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think?
    Nope....never. Never thought of it until now, and after I'm done replying, I'll forget about it all over again.

That's a big "No!"

Let me clarify, however, I may give some consideration to a jury's opinion...IF...that jury would make a large contribution to my next purchase.

Stay armed...SD is important business...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

eww
    No, never even crossed my mind.

I'd never buy some radical looking SD gun, it'd have to look like something a sane person would own. I'm not at all anxious to test the objectivity of 12 people whose knowledge about guns is next to nothing with a DA carrying on like my gun was only used by Joe Stalin, Adolph Hitler, and Attilla the Hun! Give the jury a chance to think you are a normal person.

To answer the question as you put it: When buying a gun? No.

When choosing a gun for SD/carry? Yes, somewhat. It's one of the reasons I keep a plain-Jane Mossberg 500 (wood furniture, standard magazine, even has Ducks Unlimited on the side of the receiver...) ready for a potential social occasion...

Although, now that I consider it more, I would not buy a firearm, for any purpose, engraved with "Molon Labe" or "Ultima Ratio" or "From my cold dead hands" or "Front Towards Enemy" or "Smile...wait for flash" engraved on it.

So, perhaps I should change my vote...
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links