When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think? - Page 4

When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think?

This is a discussion on When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I answered "no". I've never thought about this question when buying a gun, but I did think about it after I bought a gun once. ...

View Poll Results: When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 13.21%
  • No

241 86.07%
  • N/A: I would never buy a firearm.

1 0.36%
  • N/A: I only own hunting firearms.

0 0%
  • N/A: I would not use a gun in SD.

1 0.36%
  • N/A: I only own hunting firearms & I would not use a gun in SD.

0 0%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think?

VIP Member
    I answered "no". I've never thought about this question when buying a gun, but I did think about it after I bought a gun once. A year or so ago I bought a Colt Defender, afterwards I happened to think that Colt chose a good name. How a gun name might affect a jury? I don't know, if depends on the make-up of the jury. As my "entire life" is revealed to a jury I think that having defended myself with a "Defender" might make it easier for my attorney. However I don't buy/use firearms because of the name.

Several years ago, there was some shooting and IIRC, during trial, there was a big deal made about someone's t-shirt or bumper sticker that said, "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

cj
    No, I'm pretty logical as it is, so everything I end up with had a logical reason for it. Of course, juries don't tend to be logical, so maybe I need to rethink my strategy!

I think this question might be more or less on your mind depending on where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    To answer the question as you put it: When buying a gun? No.

When choosing a gun for SD/carry? Yes, somewhat. It's one of the reasons I keep a plain-Jane Mossberg 500 (wood furniture, standard magazine, even has Ducks Unlimited on the side of the receiver...) ready for a potential social occasion...

Although, now that I consider it more, I would not buy a firearm, for any purpose, engraved with "Molon Labe" or "Ultima Ratio" or "From my cold dead hands" or "Front Towards Enemy" or "Smile...wait for flash" engraved on it.
    So, perhaps I should change my vote...
    What a jury would think about those guns wouldn't bother me at all but I just consider them to be dumb to start with. Comparable to people wearing HD clothing trying to impress someone that they have never met.

In a word NO! I think, will this weapon do the job? Short and sweet.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

I thought about it for a few minutes and when I realized that the 10mm round was used my the FBI and Cops in New York and let it go at that and bought my Glock 29!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

VIP Member
    Yes. I bought the gun anyhow.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    To answer the question as you put it: When buying a gun? No.

When choosing a gun for SD/carry? Yes, somewhat. It's one of the reasons I keep a plain-Jane Mossberg 500 (wood furniture, standard magazine, even has Ducks Unlimited on the side of the receiver...) ready for a potential social occasion...

Although, now that I consider it more, I would not buy a firearm, for any purpose, engraved with "Molon Labe" or "Ultima Ratio" or "From my cold dead hands" or "Front Towards Enemy" or "Smile...wait for flash" engraved on it.

So, perhaps I should change my vote...
    why would this be any different then having a "fear this" or "ain't skeeered" sticker on your truck and they getting into an accident with it?
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I only think about getting the best self defense weapon I can afford.

I think about stopping power, concealabilty, ergonomics (will it fit my hand ok), etc.

If I ever have to pull the trigger in a lethal force situation, I want the gun that will do the most to save my life.

I'll be too busy to survive to worry about a jury.

However, I don't have any guns with cute little skull and crossbones carved on them either.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    why would this be any different then having a "fear this" or "ain't skeeered" sticker on your truck and they getting into an accident with it?
    Well, I don't have any of those on my vehicles, nor would I put one on...so for me, no difference. Personally, I see them as a form of white-trash chic.

For that matter, I don't have an NRA sticker, a "Insured by S&W (or H&K, or Glock, or whatever)" sticker, a "Keep Honking, I'm Reloading" sticker on my vehicles either. The reasons for that should be self explanatory.

Now, to answer your question, would they be different? I would point out that, right or wrong, there is a perceived difference between vehicles and firearms in our culture. So, yes, in a courtroom situation, there more than likely would be a difference. I suppose, however, it's just a matter of time before an enterprising ambulance chaser uses them ("Fear This", et al) against a driver.
    Last edited by Cuda66; August 21st, 2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: clarity
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

That be a Big NO!

Not worried about what a jury would think once they get the proper education.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I think this question might be more or less on your mind depending on where you live.

Good think'n. If you live in Alabama it might not be a big deal but out here in the PRC one is well advised to take it into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Not worried about what a jury would think once they get the proper education.
    And you actually think there is some mechanism in the court room that will enable the jury to get "educated"?

Negative Ghostrider; the pattern is full.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Yes- that's why my XD is pure factory

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links