When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think?

This is a discussion on When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett And you actually think there is some mechanism in the court room that will enable the jury to get "educated"? ...

View Poll Results: When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 13.21%
  • No

241 86.07%
  • N/A: I would never buy a firearm.

1 0.36%
  • N/A: I only own hunting firearms.

0 0%
  • N/A: I would not use a gun in SD.

1 0.36%
  • N/A: I only own hunting firearms & I would not use a gun in SD.

0 0%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    And you actually think there is some mechanism in the court room that will enable the jury to get "educated"?
    As a matter of fact, there is!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Well, I don't have any of those on my vehicles, nor would I put one on...so for me, no difference. Personally, I see them as a form of white-trash chic.

For that matter, I don't have an NRA sticker, a "Insured by S&W (or H&K, or Glock, or whatever)" sticker, a "Keep Honking, I'm Reloading" sticker on my vehicles either. The reasons for that should be self explanatory.

Now, to answer your question, would they be different? I would point out that, right or wrong, there is a perceived difference between vehicles and firearms in our culture. So, yes, in a courtroom situation, there more than likely would be a difference. I suppose, however, it's just a matter of time before an enterprising ambulance chaser uses them ("Fear This", et al) against a driver.
    im not saying you do. i am speaking hypothetically here. People with those stickers and others on their cars tend to drive real cocky and dangerous.

i think it's quite stupid to assume that a person with a gun having "from my cold dead hands" on it is anymore unstable, or criminal, then someone w/o it.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    im not saying you do. i am speaking hypothetically here. People with those stickers and others on their cars tend to drive real cocky and dangerous.

i think it's quite stupid to assume that a person with a gun having "from my cold dead hands" on it is anymore unstable, or criminal, then someone w/o it.
    Fair enough.

However, what I may think about such pro-2A engravings on a firearm doesn't matter here--it's what a potentially could be used against you in court.

And if you think that a prosecuter in a potential criminal case, or a civil lawyer wouldn't use such engravings on a firearm to paint the user as a bloodthirsty madman...I suggest you rethink your position, sir.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Fair enough.

However, what I may think about such pro-2A engravings on a firearm doesn't matter here--it's what a potentially could be used against you in court.

And if you think that a prosecuter in a potential criminal case, or a civil lawyer wouldn't use such engravings on a firearm to paint the user as a bloodthirsty madman...I suggest you rethink your position, sir.
    I guess I should get rid of those notches I have filed on my gun, huh?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I guess I should get rid of those notches I have filed on my gun, huh?
    Something to think about When my cousin died many years ago my Father got his gun with 27 notches on it. But it was a Browning 12 Ga Auto and the 27 notches were for the deer he had killed with it. Now if a DA had tried to use that against him he would also have to overcome the fact that not only was he a Preacher but the head of the entire Pentecostal Holiness Conference and has many churches and buildings named for him.

Just because you have notches or engravings on your gun or bumper stickers on your pick-up doesn't mean a lot by itself. But if they can show a pattern of radical extremism it could be used against you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    And you actually think there is some mechanism in the court room that will enable the jury to get "educated"?
    Yep, as long as I'm not being prosecuted by U.S. Attorney Johnny Sutton of the Southern District in Texas. And that is highly unlikely.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I don't give a rats behind what a jury would say...
    Last edited by pgrass101; August 22nd, 2008 at 01:42 PM. Reason: removed language work around
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Fair enough.

i really have no position on it. Personally, i would not engrave my handgun or rifles at all.

so much for individuality...
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    U.S. Attorney Johnny Sutton of the Southern District in Texas.
    A quick google search shows him as Western district, not Southern. (I live in Southern, so I checked....)
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

i have no concern for what a jury would think. if its truely a jury of my peers they understand why each weapon is as it is. otherwise i'll let the local DA plead my defence.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    A quick google search shows him as Western district, not Southern. (I live in Southern, so I checked....)
    I stand corrected gilraen... Thanks for the heads up!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I've never thought about a jury when buying a handgun. However, when modifying one I certainly have. Example: G23 is my primary. I put a 3.5lb connector in it for a while. Then read an Ayoob article where a guy got nailed in court, on a righteous shoot, b/c he had "made his weapon even deadlier and easier to kill with." CRAZY!!! But then juries can be crazy. I have since gone back to the factory connector. Maybe it's a wimpy response on my part, but since I don't know how the local DA would see it, and I shoot it fine with the factory job, I've left it alone.
    "If you look like food, you will be eaten!"

--Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    No, I pray I never have to use my pistol in self defense. If I do I will hire a good lawyer and tell the truth and not worry about a thing.

Not me either

nope. Nothing I carry is out of the ordinary. Primary is .357 or .40 cal. Ocassional is .45 acp, 9mm or .380.... now if I had a .50 and could ccw...that might get some eyebrows up...but even my smartcarry wont conceal something THAT big

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links