When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think?

This is a discussion on When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No I Buy For CC Or Home What Is Best For Me To Use...

View Poll Results: When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think?

Voters
280. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 13.21%
  • No

241 86.07%
  • N/A: I would never buy a firearm.

1 0.36%
  • N/A: I only own hunting firearms.

0 0%
  • N/A: I would not use a gun in SD.

1 0.36%
  • N/A: I only own hunting firearms & I would not use a gun in SD.

0 0%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: When buying a gun, have you ever considered what a jury might think?

No I Buy For CC Or Home What Is Best For Me To Use

2. Remove Ads

I don't consider what a jury might think when I buy:

sardines
    funeral plans
    toilet paper
    baseball gloves
    watermelons
    oil filters
    parakeets
    internet service

Wonder how many other things could be listed that we purchase without considering what a jury might think?

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    sardines
    funeral plans
    toilet paper
    baseball gloves
    watermelons
    oil filters
    parakeets
    internet service
    A defensive sidearm is somewhat different, in that a county's district attorney and juries are often highly interested in interpreting actions made with one, while folks could hardly be less interested in what people do with other items on such a list. (eg, the Harold Fish case.)

I consider what the implications of a purchase are, yes. With something as serious as the use of lethal force and manner in which I apply it, I certainly think about how my actions will be taken. That includes, to a degree, my choice of weapon, ammo, training, and the situation's specifics to which I claim justifiable response. I think it would be naive for me not to do so.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

jfl
    NO ... better judged by 12 than carried by 6.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I bought my tool for reliability, and the caliber for effectiveness and economic reasons.

Sheep and edgy LEOs at night find a squirt gun scary, let alone a .22 derringer or a .50AE.

I don't hunt.

I guess that makes me part of the 99 percentile in this poll.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

No...My job is to win the fight and then STFU...it's my lawyer's job to deal with everything that happens after that.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    No...My job is to win the fight and then STFU...it's my lawyer's job to deal with everything that happens after that.

I wonder just how many guys were "right" and ended up in the slammer just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    I wonder just how many guys were "right" and ended up in the slammer just the same.
    It depends on what state you are in. I would guess that is a lot more common in where you are than where I am. We don't lock up good guys for shooting bad guys in Texas.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

When buying a carry or hunting weapon gun my concern is its effectiveness; lethality, reliability, accuracy and durability. Same with selecting caliber and ammo' lethality, accuracy reliability penetration & expansion. I don't make my choices based on what the the jury may think. Though I am aware that my choices may need to be defended in court. So I better be able to articulate to a jury why I carried a Extreme Duty . 45 compact. with a laser, fiber optic night sights and a trigger job. Loaded with 230 grain HST designed for LEO. As in the case of that teacher Mr Fisher I think neither he nor his attorney presented a decent rational of why he carried a 10 mm even though he packed it hiking and his primary concern was four legged threats he had amble justification for a 10 mm even a 50 cal had his attorney been on the ball. He was not. Nor was Mr Fisher on his job.
    I think if I am ever on trail for a shooting the DA will do all he can to paint me as some kind of psychotic killer clown. Based on attending a homicide trial or two and long talks with my lawyer my guess is it is going to go something like this

Ladies and gentleman of the jury we have proven that this individual is not you average gun owner who has a gun at home for self protection. This individual carried his gun with him EVERY DAY, every where he went, looking for his chance. On his person every day he carried an EXTREME DUTY .45 Caliber weapon produced by Springfield Armory a major weapons supplier for our military. His .45 caliber weapon is the caliber favored by military, the Navy Seals and Spec Ops military renowned for it deadliness. He practiced weekly spending thousands upon thousands of dollars fine tuning his skills to kill another human being. He spent many more thousands of dollars taking combat training courses intended for law enforcement and special ops military. These killer training course cost hundreds with expenses even thousands of dollars EACH. These covert training camps are held in isolated parts of the country. Imagine the huge commitment of time and money, travel, securing lodging. Not to mention he often traveled across the country with a car load of weapons and ammunition. Typically they will shoot a thousand rounds or more, in one weekend. Who does this? Not your average citizen. Do you know anyone who has gone to one of these killer camps? Of course not. No, this fanatic is not your every day gun owner. He did not just go to a gun range and target practice. He combat trained, learning to shoot one handed. Learned and practiced point shooting while running moving advancing on his victim. Do any of us even know what point shooting is? Techniques reserved for specialized military and federal agents. He had his gun customized with military grade high tech fiber optic night sights and a military style laser sight. We have shown you the advertisement for the Deadly Federal HST 230 grain bullet. Designed for the exclusive use of law enforcement. Who knows where someone could get ammunition like this. Ammunition that is designed to RIP through his victim. Not like a regular bullet hole but made to RIP, TEAR and SHRED a quarter sized hole through human flesh. He even went so far as to have a custom specialized hand made holster made for deep concealment to assure his prey would not know he was armed until it was to late. As we have shown when he was not practicing killing he was reading books like Kill or Be Killed and participating in an online message boards, dedicated to guns, the most deadly ammunition, how to shoot and venders who specialize in making custom combat weapons. No this is not your average gun owner but a man obsessed with committing murder. A man who equipped and trained himself to be a killer, for years waiting for his chance.

My point is that sure my gun choice caliber ammo is going to come up along with everything else. My attorney & I had better be able to explain why those are all reasonable rational decisions and make the persecutor look like an idiot for trying to make an issue of it. Irrelevant to the case at hand. Because if I we can not I will need to stock up on some lube & Preparation H or write out my will depending on the charge
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

No...My job is to win the fight and then STFU...
    As we know, the fight doesn't end with the repelling of the attack. It starts with that. It ain't over 'til it's over, in other words. Intelligent selection of equipment, training and other elements can help the cause. S'ing TFU is all good and well, but if the choices dramatically improve the odds of an energetic D.A. making a strong case, the "fool's pleasure" in the gun store can well turn out to be a nightmare in reality.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    As we know, the fight doesn't end with the repelling of the attack. It starts with that. It ain't over 'til it's over, in other words. Intelligent selection of equipment, training and other elements can help the cause. S'ing TFU is all good and well, but if the choices dramatically improve the odds of an energetic D.A. making a strong case, the "fool's pleasure" in the gun store can well turn out to be a nightmare in reality.
    But if you get stuck with a D.A. who wants to "stick it to you," he's going to try regardless of what you're carrying (which is why we have a lawyer to do our talking for us). As we know from hearing crap from the Brady bunch all these years, the anti's can find some way to demonize any firearm.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Sponsor
    LongRider,

If your atty is just sitting there listening to the prosecutor make that speach without objecting on different grounds like irrelevance, no facts in evidence, the prosecutors liberal license about your mindset [ which has not been established through your testimony ],

get another atty asap.

DA's and prosecutors might try that crap on the courts, but any good atty will shoot that stuff full of holes and get the judge to insist he stick to facts in evidence long before he finishes that speach.

No I don't pick guns based on what a jury will think. First of all, I don't know what a jury will think, and neither do they until they here the "facts" of the case as presented by my atty.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

No if I must use it to defend myself or my loved ones all I care is that it work I will deal with the courts later

Yes.
    I have considered as much and given it long and serious thought.

Has such thought and consideration affected my purchasing decisions to date? Again, yes. Toward arms including blades, ammunition, and by whom I choose to take study under too toward training. Even my decision to begin shooting IDPA was borne out of and attendant to such consideration.

As based on very many threads and discussions toward this exact same subject in regard to defensive hardware alone of all sorts I am very much surprised that the respondent percentages are what they are.
    I'd have expected the results to be the opposite of what is being reported.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I have thought about it, not sure if it actually influenced my opinion.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links