Suppressors

This is a discussion on Suppressors within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone have the ends and outs of buying suppressors legally? I know that you can have a Sheriff or a Chief of Police sign off ...

Thread: Suppressors

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

Suppressors

Anyone have the ends and outs of buying suppressors legally? I know that you can have a Sheriff or a Chief of Police sign off for the purchase but most will not, not around here anyway. I also know there is a way to set up a cooperation and you can by pass all the other methods. I have a friend that did this but he is currently in another country and I have no contact with him.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

2. Remove Ads

I think you have to apply with the ATF, wait a long time, probably pay a tax, and wait some more

don't quote me on this...

Here in Texas go to a class 3 dealer pick out one you want fill out paperwork pay for suppressor and tax stamp wait several weeks for ATF approval,and when dealer calls go pick it up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    There are two ways to do it.
    One is a Form 4. You go to the dealer, make a down payment. (usually 50%) and he helps you fill out the paperwork. You fill out 2 of everything. Get two sets of fingerprints, fill out a statement saying that you are a citizen of the U.S. get 2 pictures of yourself, have the sheriff or the CLEO sign it, and send it with a check for 200 bucks.

When you get it, you take your approved form (with the tax stamp on it) to the dealer, pay what you owe and walk off with your suppressor.

The other way, is with a Form 1.

Same procedure except that you assign a number to what you plan to make. You get the paperwork, build your suppressor, stamp or engrave the data on it and thats it. The beauty of this is that you can make an excellent performing suppressor for next to nothing other than the cost of material IF you have the skills and the tools to do so.

Notice that I said get the paperwork first. Legally you must have the paper in hand before you build.

In reality, it sounds like alot more hassle than it is.

If you form a trust, once your paperwork is on file, you don't need a LEO signature or additional prints if you buy or make more suppressors.
    If you have an LEO that is a communist or is scared of people owning guns other than himself, the trust is the way around that as you dont need the LEO signature to get the suppressor.

Not all states are legal though. If it is not legal in your state, the ATF will not issue the tax stamp.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yeah find a supressor, pay for it, then start the paperwork. You dont take possession until all of the paperwork clears.

There are a bunch of combinations of how the transfer actually goes. Basically, if a john Q public is involved as the shipper or recipient, there's a $200 tax. If both shipper & recipient have SOT/FFL, then it is tax free. Every transfer is reviewed and approved through BATF, figure 4-12 weeks per.

If you buy a new supressor, the Supressor Mfg Co can ship it to your local SOT/FFL dealer directly (no $200 tax), after a 4-5 week wait from ATF. Then when it gets to your SOT/FFL, you file your paperwork, pay $200, and 6 or 16 weeks later the transfer gets approved and you take possession.

If the supressor is owned by an individual, they need to pay a $200 tax +6wk wait to sell it. Any supressor owner in the US can do this and deliver the supressor to your local FFL regardless of what state they or you are in (need not be SOT/FFL, just must be a FFL in your state) Then you get it from the FFL, after another $200 and a few more weeks/months.

If you buy a used supressor already owned by someone in your state, agree to a deal and file the form direct with the ATF and $200. No FFL needed for this approach.

As to the CLEO signoff, there are legitimate ways around that.
    - You, as an individual human being applying for the transfer would need a CLEO signoff and fingerprints.
    - If you have a corporation, then the corporation can be the owner. This eliminates the need for CLEO & prints, but does require the corporation to remain active (likely yearly fees in your state). If the corp dissolves, the supressor must be transferred out.
    - If you have a trust, life gets easier. No CLEO signature, no prints, no yearly requirements. The trust owns the item, you appoint yourself as trustee so you can use the item (and alter the trust) as you wish. As an added benefit, any trustee can use the item, and if you pass away, the beneficiary of the trust receives the contents (supressor) tax free- there is no additional $200 hit for this transaction. Quicken Willmaker 08 will set up a trust suited for the state you are in.

Feel free to send me a PM, I am in the middle of this now and have a couple of transfers pending.

Try the CLEO first, I live in Hamilton County Ohio...everyone says no-one will sign, but, my experience is 3 visits and 5 signatures in the past few months (a suppressor, MG, DD, and 2 SBRs)...the first one took the longest -- 24 hours. Each of the subsequent requests have been signed and picked up within 2 hours.

With the CLEO route, you clearly own it. The forms have your name, eliminating any potential confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    Yeah find a supressor, pay for it, then start the paperwork. You dont take possession until all of the paperwork clears.

There are a bunch of combinations of how the transfer actually goes. Basically, if a john Q public is involved as the shipper or recipient, there's a $200 tax. If both shipper & recipient have SOT/FFL, then it is tax free. Every transfer is reviewed and approved through BATF, figure 4-12 weeks per.

If you buy a new supressor, the Supressor Mfg Co can ship it to your local SOT/FFL dealer directly (no $200 tax), after a 4-5 week wait from ATF. Then when it gets to your SOT/FFL, you file your paperwork, pay $200, and 6 or 16 weeks later the transfer gets approved and you take possession.

If the supressor is owned by an individual, they need to pay a $200 tax +6wk wait to sell it. Any supressor owner in the US can do this and deliver the supressor to your local FFL regardless of what state they or you are in (need not be SOT/FFL, just must be a FFL in your state) Then you get it from the FFL, after another $200 and a few more weeks/months.

If you buy a used supressor already owned by someone in your state, agree to a deal and file the form direct with the ATF and $200. No FFL needed for this approach.

As to the CLEO signoff, there are legitimate ways around that.
    - You, as an individual human being applying for the transfer would need a CLEO signoff and fingerprints.
    - If you have a corporation, then the corporation can be the owner. This eliminates the need for CLEO & prints, but does require the corporation to remain active (likely yearly fees in your state). If the corp dissolves, the supressor must be transferred out.
    - If you have a trust, life gets easier. No CLEO signature, no prints, no yearly requirements. The trust owns the item, you appoint yourself as trustee so you can use the item (and alter the trust) as you wish. As an added benefit, any trustee can use the item, and if you pass away, the beneficiary of the trust receives the contents (supressor) tax free- there is no additional $200 hit for this transaction. Quicken Willmaker 08 will set up a trust suited for the state you are in.

Feel free to send me a PM, I am in the middle of this now and have a couple of transfers pending.
    I'll second the trust route. I've used it. It works BEAUTIFULLY...and FAST!
    Check this thread here:
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-question.html

I did have another thread around here somewhere about a year or so ago. I chronicled my purchase, but I can't seem to find it searching for it. Must be either too old to find or someone deleted it.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

There is a theory that since the trust has no fingerprints nor "background" to check, they are processed quicker.

However, I have heard that ATF now classifys flashbangs as destructive devices, so e-v-e-r-y one is on a Form5 transfer. That created a big backlog....

Some folks say that your first receiving transfer takes extra long to 'get you in the system'.

I've also heard Form 1s are processed indpendantly of form4s. Form1s take weeks longer since they need to add an entry to the transfer register.

All I know for certain is I had a form 3 clear this week and it took a full SEVEN weeks to clear. Lord knows when the form 4s will clear, but I'll be sure to post some pics when they make it through.

And a quick guide to the lingo:
    Form 1 - $200 to make a short barreled rifle, short barreled shotgun, supressor, or destructive device. 12-20 weeks
    Form 3 - SOT/FFL to SOT/FFL transfer, tax free. 3-6 weeks
    Form 4 - a transfer to or from an individual user, typically $200 ($5 for AOW) 6-16 weeks
    Form 5 - tax free transfer. Civilians use these for inheritance type transfers.
    Form 10 - Beware - Some PDs have been selling their surpluss weapons on F10s. Once an item transfers on a F10, BATFE will never authorize that item to be released to a civilian.

Links