From First-Time Gun Buyer: Why Does Manufacturer Include Spent Cartridge?

This is a discussion on From First-Time Gun Buyer: Why Does Manufacturer Include Spent Cartridge? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm not sure if this is an obvious answer, but my new firearm came with an empty (spent) cartridge in a small envelope, signed. Is ...

I'm not sure if this is an obvious answer, but my new firearm came with an empty (spent) cartridge in a small envelope, signed. Is this simply proof that the gun works? Or, is there something more to it? Do I keep this or toss it?

Some states and cities that require gun registration,want a spent case on file for ballistic matching in case the gun is used in a crime
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think it is like a "proof" that it works, much like first dent in old armor back in the day. They would shoot it or jab it as "proof" that it would save the Knight.

Or it could be as simple as "look what we did, now you do the rest."
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Here in the Peoples Republik of New York we do not get the spent case. It goes to the NYS state police crime lab to be put on file. That is why even guns like Hi-Points which retail at $129 end up costing over $200 here in our hell hole...errr...I mean state.

VIP Member
    The spent case is to comply with states like New York & Maryland. These states require the spent case to be sent to them by the FFL. In states that don't require it the spent case is left in the box.

Some manufacturers will mark the box that has the DOESN'T have spent case in it..."Not for sale in Maryland or New York."
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    It's a record that AFT keeps on the pistol 's barrel rifling effect on a bullet.Each one is an original with no two a like except for the ones fired out of the same pistol provided you are using same type of ammo.If please jump in but this is how I understand it as it was told to me by the gunsmith I purchased my pistols from.It's a tool to help the good guys find the pistol if it's used in a crime.

BAC
    Several companies do it to let you know it's been proof-fired and everything works. Some of those companies send you the targets those rounds were fired at, too.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    Each one is an original with no two a like except for the ones fired out of the same pistol provided you are using same type of ammo.
    Until the barrel wears a little. Or the firing pin. Or until you replace either one.

Shell Casing Markings

My friends in Maryland tell me this is vodoo science. They tell me that in Maryland, NO CRIME was ever solved because of a shell casing on file from a sold gun.
    They say there are just too many variables including changing gun barrels, extractors, and firing pins to make it certain "beyond a reasonable doubt".

Quote Originally Posted by nasal View Post
    Until the barrel wears a little. Or the firing pin. Or until you replace either one.
    No doubt. I got the spent case with my LCP. It had a dent in it from where it hit part of the frame, while being ejected. I filed that part of the frame a little bit, now no dents. Good luck with that one CSI.

Quote Originally Posted by Stetson View Post
    It's a record that AFT keeps on the pistol 's barrel rifling effect on a bullet.Each one is an original with no two a like except for the ones fired out of the same pistol provided you are using same type of ammo.If please jump in but this is how I understand it as it was told to me by the gunsmith I purchased my pistols from.It's a tool to help the good guys find the pistol if it's used in a crime.
    Yes.. this is the reason..... many Mfgrs state that flat out in their manual, or paperwork that comes with the gun.

Links