Can a wet bore Kill Ammo?

This is a discussion on Can a wet bore Kill Ammo? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Pretty much as the title says: Can leaving a bit up lube in the bore make the chambered round not fire? I saw an article ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a wet bore Kill Ammo?

Pretty much as the title says: Can leaving a bit up lube in the bore make the chambered round not fire? I saw an article on Box-o-truth but he was focusing on leaving oil on the primer, not the neck where it might seep between the bullet and casing (which seems like the more logical thing to test in the first place, and the most likely contact point of liquid and ammo). Has anyone heard of any problems with this? Maybe something to do an experiment with?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I believe that modern ammunition is much less susceptable to oil related primer or other ammo failures. I suspect that the greater threat would be the potential of excessive pressure in the barrel from too much "lube in the tube".

I'm just guessin' though

surv

Unless you're storing you gun muzzle up, chambered round, bore filled with oil, I'd say there's a greater chance of lightening striking your gun and blowing it out of your hand just as you go to shoot the BG than there is of a small amount of oil in the bore contaminating a loaded round and preventing it from firing. As Surveyor said, a much bigger concern would be a pressure increase to dangerous levels due to too much oil in the bore.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I've heard that WD-40 can effect primers, I would keep ammo away from it.

box of truth used oil and wd40 on primers that it left sit for about a month IIRC maybe longer,all rounds fired
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

WD40 does contaminate ammo. I had a .45 do a squip shot on me when I was trying to put down a crippled deer. The round fired and left the bullet in the barrel about an inch. Do not use any penetrating oil on your weapons. A light film of oil will not hurt anything. I keep my chambers and barrels dry. Less chance of collecting crud (lint, dust bunnies, etc).

Semper Fi

VIP Member

Run a patch through it and remove the excess and your good to go.

test

I submerged ammo in salt water, WD40, and Hoppes #9 for up to 5 weeks and most of it fired. Everything from range FMJ to premium JHP. Only the rimfire stuff had a high rate of failure, but even then some of them still went off.

Good to know. But why no penetrating oil? Does this include my Slip2000? I got an email from them explaining why it appeared to evaportate. They said basically it is just soaking into the pores. Is this going to penetrate the crimp between bullet and case?

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I use the EWL from Slip2k and have never had a problem with it. However, I do change ammo every 6 months and I do wipe the excess lube out of the weapon.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Oil

I dont have any of that, but I can try some other stuff. Any requests? I'll submerge a few of each round and pull and test at a week, 2 weeks, a month, maybe at 2 months? I have been wanting to try Kroil and Break Free.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I dont have any of that, but I can try some other stuff. Any requests? I'll submerge a few of each round and pull and test at a week, 2 weeks, a month, maybe at 2 months? I have been wanting to try Kroil and Break Free.
    Liquid Wrench. In my experience working on vehicles, one of the best penetrating lubricants available.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Definitely stick to synthetics. The email from S2k was trying to explain the differences of absorption vs. staying on the surface, and claims all petroleum products do the latter? I'll post the email if you'd like.

when im working i have my weapon soaked in clp. it makes maintnance much easier and im 100% sure my weapon will fire when i need it.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Don't see any good reason to keep the bore wet unless being stored. Use a dry patch or 2 to get the excess out of there.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links