Gun Inspections in Oklahoma!!

Gun Inspections in Oklahoma!!

This is a discussion on Gun Inspections in Oklahoma!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.p...w&pageId=72906 Thursday, August 21, 2008 WEAPONS OF CHOICE WorldNetDaily Police tell owners: 'We're inspecting your guns' Investigators searching community for firearm used in murder Posted: ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thumbs down Gun Inspections in Oklahoma!!

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.p...w&pageId=72906

Thursday, August 21, 2008

WEAPONS OF CHOICE
    WorldNetDaily
    Police tell owners: 'We're inspecting your guns'
    Investigators searching community for firearm used in murder

Posted: August 21, 2008
    1:00 am Eastern

WorldNetDaily

Oklahoma police investigating the shooting deaths of two girls have told area residents with guns to bring them in for a test to determine whether they were used in the attack, sparking concern among those who own guns for hunting and self-defense.

According to reports in the Tulsa World the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation sent letters to members of the community who were registered as owning .40-caliber handguns suggesting they voluntarily bring in their gun or guns for a test.

The individuals who were "invited" to bring their guns in but didn't now will be included in the ongoing investigation, as well as people who were identified by former owners as having purchased that type of weapon recently, authorities said.

"We'll be checking on them," Jessica Brown, a spokeswoman for the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation, told the newspaper.

The investigation is into the June 8 shooting deaths of Skyla Jade Whitaker, 11, and Taylor Paschal-Placker, 13, who died when they were shot several times on a road about four miles from Weleetka. Authorities say two guns were used in the killings, but they haven't released much information about the weapons until they now confirmed one was a .40-caliber.

They have not yet identified the second type of weapon used.

Authorities said they sent out about 60 letters, and about 40 gun owners voluntarily brought in their weapons to the Okfuskee County Courthouse at Okemah for testing over the weekend.

Brown said those weapons were taken by investigators and test-fired, and the results of those tests now are being evaluated. She said nearly half a dozen former gun owners contacted authorities to identify new owners, and another 15 gun owners did not show up.

Those who participated in a forum on the newspaper website expressed sympathy for the victims and their families, but worried about the maneuver of inspecting privately owned guns without a search warrant or probable cause.

"This is a really sad story. My heart goes out to the families involved," said one participant. "For some reason, though, it bothers me that 60 gun owners were asked to 'voluntarily' relinquish their legally-owned firearms."

Wrote a second, "Since when does Oklahoma have handgun registration? … I seriously hope they catch the vermin responsible for this, but I'm disturbed by the implication that Oklahoma, one of the most free states in the USA, has handgun registration."

Another, identified only as ok sooner and who reported spending time in law enforcement, added, "I would never 'voluntarily submit their weapons for testing.' Get a warrant."

"I'm with ok sooner," said a fourth. "I wouldn’t voluntarily submit my firearms to law enforcement without a warrant, either. This is really starting to bother me. Why ask 60 citizens to do this? Or maybe they're waiting for somebody to refuse to submit 'voluntarily' whereupon they do get a warrant."

On the forums page for the Oklahoma Shooters Association, the readers were even more alarmed.

"Why don't they just test fire all the .40 cal handguns in Oklahoma? Yeah, that's the ticket," said one person. "I hate to perhaps sound callous about the tragedy, that's not my intent at all, but this is some of the goofiest stuff I've ever heard of."

"What the OSBI stupidly did was ensure that, if the real murderer still has the murder weapon and got one of these letters, he will now WITHOUT DOUBT destroy it POST HASTE," said another.

"Human beings can only interact with one another through two methods: reason or force. If at any point, either party chooses force, the other must either submit or respond with force," warned another participant. "I prefer reason. But I am ready to respond with force. Submission is not an option."

"The issue of private control of firearms in the United States has been a hot topic this year in light of the Washington, D.C., dispute over a complete ban on private handguns. In that case, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that individuals in the United States do have the right to bear arms, although that right can be regulated.

The District of Columbia city council promptly adopted emergency legislation that would replace its handgun ban with a laundry list of regulations and requirements, including several described by the Gun Owners of America as equally unconstitutional to the ban.

Those include a gun license requirement, a ban on semiautomatics, new ballistics requirements, requirements for trigger locks and requirements to keep guns unloaded.

"It's no wonder that the District is awash with lawlessness. The contempt for the law starts in the city council chambers," said GOA Executive Director Larry Pratt.

The Supreme Court ruling was the first definitive statement on the 2nd Amendment in decades. The court said, in Justice Antonin Scalia's majority opinion, the Constitution does not permit "the absolute prohibition of handguns held and used for self-defense in the home."

Scalia was joined by Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Samuel Alito, Anthony Kennedy and Clarence Thomas. Joining Justice John Paul Stevens in dissent were Justices Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and David Souter.

The amendment, ratified in 1791, says: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

I'd like to know how they found out who owned 40 cal. guns to send the letters to. I wasn't aware of gun registration in OK.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

OK, this one is a bad start to a worse situation.

"Someone broke the law, so all of you come out and prove your innocence."

Isn't that considered illegal search, or is it "legal" because people would have to come to them to be searched?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I'll bet the shooter will be the first in line to have his/her gun tested...

NOT

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation is an embarrasment to law enforcement in our country. Not only do they have no clue that the Constitution exists, but they are wasting time and the taxpayers money. Instead of solving crime, they are commiting them.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Though I don't support the bringing of weapons to be tested, you better have a search warrant and legal reason; if it works and they catch someone then it was voluntary and saved a lot of legwork. On the other hand who would be stupid enough to bring in their weapon knowing that it was used then or maybe in the past for a crime. You can bet that they WILL search their database and also keep their results for future testing. If I was one that got a letter, I would respond with a letter that they could pound sand, they weren't testing mine without a court order.
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
    Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"

This sounds like a gross violation in the spirit of the United States Constitution, if not the letter of the law. "Come in and prove you are not guilty".
    Didn't Hitler start with this mind set?

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I wasn't aware of gun registration in OK.

Hoss
    There isn't- they have to be going off yellow sheets....
    Illegal as hell.

VIP Member

no clues, just desperation

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    There isn't- they have to be going off yellow sheets....
    Illegal as hell.
    Sounds like it is a matter of desperation and lack of clues.

Or, the theory is that it was a local who did the crime, although that is highly speculative and it could well have been random.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I wonder which state will be next.........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

talk about grabbing at straws,the gun is probably stolen or bought on the street so good luck with that and violating peoples rights to unreasonable search
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I am stunned people actually brought their weapons in for testing.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Quote Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
    I am stunned people actually brought their weapons in for testing.
    Why are you stunned? Remember we are talking about , they just do what the shepherd tells them to do so they don't get whacked with the rod.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

They could do a national gun test to prove that your firearms are clear of a crime.
    A whole data base of gun owners could be amassed.
    If you didn’t submit your gun to any tests you are now a “person of interest” to all gun crimes in your guns caliber.
    So why not clear yourselves of all matching gun crimes right?

It like all Chevy Truck owners would need to take a lie detector test or give a DNA sample, because a Chevy truck was used in a crime.

Oklahoma police have started something really dire.
    Last edited by Logan5; August 21st, 2008 at 05:50 PM. Reason: fix a word

I'll bet one of the Presidential candidates would consider this common sense gun control.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links