Looking at ARs and Shotguns...

This is a discussion on Looking at ARs and Shotguns... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I walked in to the local gun store I frequent to look at shot guns and AR style rifles. I was looking at rifles from ...

Thread: Looking at ARs and Shotguns...

I walked in to the local gun store I frequent to look at shot guns and AR style rifles. I was looking at rifles from Stag Arms and DPMS. I am leaning towards the Stag Arms version of the M-4. The guy behind the counter shows me a DPMS rifle with a match trigger and match grade barrel. The Stag was $949 and the DPMS was $ 1,099. The reason I am considering the rifle is for shtf and some competitive shooting. Any thoughts? Also trying to decide between a Remington 870 and a Benelli shotgun for hd. Anyone who owns either of these shotguns or advice on this subject please feel free to advise me.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    I would also consider the Rock River AR and the Mossberg shotgun. Both are quality weapons. RR has a government contract to supply ARs to both the Afgans and Iraqis and Mossberg supplies most of the military shotguns.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Lead Moderator
    I like my Stag M4 look alike. What kind of competition are you looking to do? RRA or Bushmaster should be in about the same quality and price range too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I would consider a Mossberg 500
    if you dont mind having a pump action.
    Ones Ive seen are about $300 with parkerized
    finish, heat shield and pistol grip.

I've said this a thousand times but I'll say it again.

LMT is just about the best AR platform, even more so than Colt. Most all AR manufacturers skimp on grade of aluminum where LMT does not. LMT uses a 7075tc where most all other, DPMS and Bushy use a 6000 series aluminum.

LMT's specs are perfect with Colts. Everyone else is close to poor, but in the perfect category like LMT.

LMT is supplying USSOCOM, U.S.Army, Airforce Spec Ops, etc with their weapons. SEALs are carrying the LMT CQBR upper on a crane lower.

You can spend the same if you find a dealer that sells LMT Defender lowers and then order your upper online from places like Bravocompanyusa.com and other online sellers of uppers.

Flat top only, no fixed carry handle and with LMT you get a 1:7 twist rate out of all their barrels, except the 6.8 SPC, but I'm assuming your going with .223/5.56.

You'll spend the same money as the DPMS and have twice the qaulity in my opinion.

Just my .02
    U.S. Army retired
    18F4VW9

Has anyone seen this shotgun? Have one? I hear you can get the +2 mag extension for it also and ghost ring sights come standard. Norinco's answer for the 870.
    Shotguns by Norinco - INTERSTATE ARMS 982 SELF DEFENSE SHOTGUN 12/18.5/GRS SYNPUMP by Personal Security Zone

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    LMT is just about the best AR platform, even more so than Colt. Most all AR manufacturers skimp on grade of aluminum where LMT does not. LMT uses a 7075tc where most all other, DPMS and Bushy use a 6000 series aluminum.
    I'm not doubting this, but what part are we talking about (upper or lower receiver) and can you confirm that DPMS and Bushmaster don't use 7075? I mean, if smaller companies like Superior Arms can, the much larger companies in question surely can, too...

LMT's specs are perfect with Colts. Everyone else is close to poor, but in the perfect category like LMT.
    Noveske?

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    LMT is supplying USSOCOM, U.S.Army, Airforce Spec Ops, etc with their weapons. SEALs are carrying the LMT CQBR upper on a crane lower.
    If you're referring to the MK18 Mod 0, those are modified Colt uppers (with 10.3" barrels) on normal M4/M16 lowers. As of 2004, Colt was listed as the sole provider of said parts. LMT might have snagged a smaller contract since then, but I highly doubt they've got the lion's share of uppers for MK18s.

-B

Sponsored Links