Glock .22 Conversion - Advantage Amrs L.E. 17-22

This is a discussion on Glock .22 Conversion - Advantage Amrs L.E. 17-22 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As everyone knows, the .357 SIG round has some cost issues, and IMO not a round I want to reload. After a few months of ...

View Poll Results: Is a Glock .22 Conversion - Advantage Amrs L.E. 17-22 a good idea?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

39 70.91%
  • Maybe

12 21.82%
  • Never

4 7.27%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glock .22 Conversion - Advantage Amrs L.E. 17-22

As everyone knows, the .357 SIG round has some cost issues, and IMO not a round I want to reload.

After a few months of pondering the pros and cons, 6 weeks ago I ordered a Advantage Amrs L.E. 17-22 for my Glock 31 (.357 SIG). Will also work on other standard size glocks like the G22 (.40 S&W), G17 (9mm), etc.

First impression, about the same as everyone stated online about their first impression. Looks / feels like a quality product. Came in a good case. Overall, so far so good.

Training was the goal, so feel is important. It will already lose that feel when I shoot it (less recoil). With the .22 conversion on the Glock lower, there is a big decrease in weight. Not worried how this will effect recoil, but concernd with handling memory (if there is such a thing).

* I considered just buying a 9mm, as that would help with the ammo costs, and a used Glock 17 would not cost much more than the $250to $300 price. The G17 would provide the better real world feel then a .22 conversion. Did not want to register another handgun. Not that I'm against gun regulations :P

* I considered the .40 S&W drop in barrel. I did the math, was not impressed with the savings (but did offfer a savings depending on how much I would shoot). I still want a the barrel, and at around $150, I'm hopeful to get a G22 barrel for Christmas.

I plan on shooting tomorrow and will post about that experience. No expert, but I'll post my first hand account.

Mine is flawless (for a .22) and I love to practice with it.

I think it's a good idea. However I have experienced a lot of jams while using the two highly recommended loads. It is very frustrating .. and yes I clean the kit & gun.

1st time out. I'll give it an A-

Used Remington 36 grain hollow point Golden Bullets at the end of range time. Only had enough time for around 60 rounds. Had one FTF. Retried the round. It shot on second try.

I've very happy with the purchase. It was nice to practice with the same trigger pull with no recoil. I was able to focus on other aspects with the recoil so reduced. There is the "fun-factor" that everyone mentioned. It was a joy to shoot, and it costs pennies a shot. I used it to practice DT (something a lot harder to do with higher calibers). I think next time I will start range time with the .22 LR and finish with the .357 SIG.

Was with three others who also gave it a try. Every single person who shot it giggled / chuckled at after the first round. Going from the .357 SIG to .22 LR, as expected, the rounds are so drastically different that it was hard to get use to the lact of recoil. It was like shooting a cap gun.

For the money ($285, including 2nd mag) I'm not sure this is the way to go for everyone. As a training tool, for a young or very new shooter, this could be the right match. Some might point out, and could be right, that a .22 pistol would suit the same purpose. Those with shooting experience, getting the .40 S&W barrel or just buying a 9mm Glock might be a better training tool. However, as my state requires you to register handguns, there is a plus to having only one lower. Also, maybe you only want a limited number of guns in your home for various reasons.

So far so good. CA limitations imposed on Advantage Arms create the only negative. The only real negative (for me so far) is the mags are only 10 rounds. It is very tedious to load those little .22 (even with the mag loader). A 15 round clip would grade this product to an A. A+ if it could get to 20+. It is possible the limited rounds help prevent jams. At some point I may try to alter a mag.
    Last edited by Thanis; August 24th, 2008 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    I think it's a good idea. However I have experienced a lot of jams while using the two highly recommended loads. It is very frustrating .. and yes I clean the kit & gun.
    What type of Glock (or firearm) do you use it on?

the 10 round mag is the only thing making me lukewarm on getting a kit myself. Ive wanted one for a few years now for my G19.

How hard would it be to get more than 10 rounds in that full size mag? Please report back if you attempt some sort of modification!

I voted YES.
    I love my AA .22 conversion for my G19. You can still train with the same gun, all the aspects are the same, except the recoil and the expense. This is a great training tool to have. It's definately worth the $250. I do wish the mag capacity was more.

I have one, and love it. You just have to understand that this is strictly a training tool, and not a self-defense tool. The small magazine is a bit annoying, but then again I can live with it for training. I understan dthe reason for this is that advantage arms is located in California and they are prohibited from making larger capacity magazines :-(.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    What type of Glock (or firearm) do you use it on?

G19. I had better luck with the Remington Golden Bullets than the CCI Mini Mags.

So far have only used Golden Bullets 36 GR. PHP Remington.

8/23 I shot 60 (or so) rounds. One FTF, retried round, it fired.
    8/30 I put around 440 (or so) rounds. One FTC.
    8/31 Cleaned barrel.

After only 500 rounds I have learned how to be a better shot, and how to DT better, and even how to more accurately empty a clip.

When I go back to the .357 (Glock 31), naturally the pistol has more recoil. But there has been an improvement in everything I stated above.

I'll give it an improved grade (A up from A-) as the 10 round mag limitation is tedious. However, anything that can help me that much (after only 500 rounds) is impressive (and that is the true goal). If starting to think I have a close to perfect product.

PS - I was very accurate with the .22 & would consider hunting small game with it. This is mostly talk as I shot my brother's 10/22 on Sat. and I was an almost perfect shot with it. Still, the accuracy is impressive with the conversion kit.

Went to range yesterday. Used Remington 36 grain hollow point Golden Bullets. 120 rounds shot.

1 FTC.
    2 FTF. Pin struck both rounds. On retry, rounds would not fire.

Mixed results this outing. Considering I only shot 120 rounds, the failure rate was high.

Started off range time with 15 .357 SIG 125 GR. FMJ Winchester rounds. Changed upper. Shot the 120 .22 LR Remington 36 grain hollow point Golden Bullets having the three noted problems. Finished off with 15 .357 SIG 125 GR. FMJ Winchester rounds.

The Good News - Accuracy has really improved considering the very few outings I have had with the conversion. I have gone from 2 to 3 inch groupings to 1 inch or less. Majority of my shots were amazingly dead on. Control with DT has really improved.

It really lets you focus on other aspects (like trigger control and follow thru) when there is no recoil.

Went to range today. 10 rounds .357 SIG 125 GR. FMJ Winchester. Did good. Put on the .22 conversion. Used Remington 36 grain hollow point Golden Bullets. 110 rounds shot. Flawless.

Finished off with 10 rounds .357 SIG 125 GR. FMJ Winchester. Great grouping.

I'm saving a lot of $ and continue to get better.

PS - Shot 10 .22 rounds from 74 feet away. Very accurate. Amazing.

08/23/08 -- 60 (or so) rounds. 1 FTF, retried round, it fired.
    08/30/08 -- 440 (or so) rounds. 1 FTC.
    10/04/08 -- 120 rounds. 1 FTC. 2 FTF. Pin struck both rounds. On retry, rounds would not fire.
    10/11/08 -- 110 rounds. No problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGoob View Post
    ...Please report back if you attempt some sort of modification!
    I opened up one of the mags to take a look. While it would appear to be simple to make this mag hold more rounds, I think changes would produce feeding issues.

At this point, the 10 round limit has become less of an issue, and if anything, might be a good thing. It creates a good point to stop and check out the target.

08/23/08 -- 60 (or so) rounds. 1 FTF, retried round, it fired.
    08/30/08 -- 440 (or so) rounds. 1 FTC.
    10/04/08 -- 120 rounds. 1 FTC. 2 FTF. Pin struck both rounds. On retry, rounds would not fire.
    10/11/08 -- 110 rounds. No problems.
    10/18/08 -- 120 rounds. When I put mag in for 101th round, round (unfired) popped out of gun (before upper was closed).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links