My CoBIS Rant For The Day

This is a discussion on My CoBIS Rant For The Day within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Itís now been three weeks since I ordered a new Taurus 94 .22 revolver, for some fun plinking at the range with my son. The ...

Thread: My CoBIS Rant For The Day

Unhappy My CoBIS Rant For The Day

Itís now been three weeks since I ordered a new Taurus 94 .22 revolver, for some fun plinking at the range with my son. The dealer received it the day after it was ordered, and sent it of to CoBIS for its first firing. I still donít have it yet.

For those of you not familiar with CoBIS, it stands for ďCombined Ballistic Identification SystemĒ. (NY State Police Link: CoBIS FAQS (Combined Ballistic Identification System))

This is where the police will fire a test round, save and analyze the spent casing, enter the info into a database for later retrieval. The purpose is to be able to match a casing with one left at a crime scene. I understand that more than 28 million dollars of taxpayer money has been spent on this with only 2 hits coming back off the database. (Link to CoBIS Statistics: CoBIS or GUN DNA:A waste of millions of dollars, a waste of police manpower.)

Now it seems to me, hypothetically of course, that if I was bent on a criminal act, I would be careful not to leave a casing behind. Not only that, the last time I checked, revolvers donít leave their casings at all! Not to mention, that if I was really mischievous, I could collect casings from the local range and leave them strewn about a hypothetical crime scene.

It is also my understanding that this evidence might not even stand up in court.

So, here I am, ranting about my new firearm, which I have yet to receive. I will, however, post photos and such whenever it does arrive. Maybe by December?

Thatís it... rant over.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

While you wait, here's a couple pictures of the one I just received. Ordered 8-20-2008, in my hot little hands 8-22-2008. Makes me appreciate Kansas.

Hoss

Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I honestly do not understand why you guys stay in those Commy states. I got out of California as soon as my enlistment was up, and leaving California was one of the reasons I did not re-up.

I wish all the normal people would leave NY and Cali so we can work at getting those inflated delegates taken away.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Administrator
    .22's are a lot of fun no matter the flavor. I couldnt stand my tax money funding the pinko's. I'd have to move.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    So then New York IS not only registering the guns, but the fired cases too?

Great.

Just great.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    While you wait, here's a couple pictures of the one I just received. Ordered 8-20-2008, in my hot little hands 8-22-2008. Makes me appreciate Kansas.

Thanks Hoss for the photos. I will take them to the range today instead!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I honestly do not understand why you guys stay in those Commy states.
    Some of us are stuck to the states that we live in. I have an elderrly mom, and elderly mom-in-law that cannot be left. Also, I own my own company, so closing down would inconvenience many people in my community.

And besides, I like the Hudson River Valley. Aside from the stupid laws, it is a nice place to live!
    Last edited by JonInNY; August 24th, 2008 at 09:39 AM.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Thanks Hoss for the photos. I will take them to the range today instead!
    Thought you might need some ammo, so here ya go.

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Gee, thanks guys. I'll pin up the photos on the target stands and shoot at them with my other .22!

-- Benjamin Franklin

JonInNY,

""And besides, I like the Hudson River Valley. Aside from the stupid laws, it is a nice place to live!""

+1

Bosco

VIP Member
    JonInNY,
    Don't worry. You'll get your gun soon. They will get tired of shooting it soon, after all, after the first thousand rounds the new has worn off and it will be time to play with something else!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If my dealer gets a gun that needs to be shot, he takes it to the SP and its done that day.

Quote Originally Posted by chris s View Post
    If my dealer gets a gun that needs to be shot, he takes it to the SP and its done that day.
    I think it was sent directly to the CoBIS office in Middletown. Trying to track it down.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Well, I think it will finally be here on Tuesday, after Labor Day. Too bad I won't have it for the long weekend ahead!
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Links