Someone has to come in last place

This is a discussion on Someone has to come in last place within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got back from an IDPA match. It seems my only purpose for going to these matches is to come in last place. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone has to come in last place

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I just got back from an IDPA match. It seems my only purpose for going to these matches is to come in last place. I shot more hostages and missed more targets than I care to admit. Maybe if I slowed down and just practice good form, my time would improve and I wouldn't be getting penalized for shooting hostages. Ugh.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    That might help. Also try to calm down. I know the adrenalin will be pumping but try to minimize the effects. While it is a game depicting defensive senarios it is only a game. BTW those hostages you shot were not hostages, they were accomplices or collaborators. Take care and enjoy.

On the plus side, once you shoot the hostages the bad guys are screwed.
    That kinda takes away their bargaining power doncha know.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

My second time out, I completely forgot that the hostages were hostages. Drilled 4 of them really good.

LOTS of ribbing. Haven't forgotten since.

Like you, I need to slow down, practice good form, and be less worried about speed at this time.

Slow is fast.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    Slow is fast.
    No No NO.

Slow is slow...

smooth is fast...

It just takes pracitce. No body starts out winning matches.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I like Pin Matches - you shoot EVERYTHING!!!! LOL
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

I have been there before. I frequently receive the High Terrorist Award for killing the most hostages. Personally, I think they are suspicious- why were they hanging out with the bad guys in the first place? Keep going, it will get better...maybe....
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

VIP Member
    Slow down... make the shots count.

We had our second match of the month yesterday and I was on fire! My schedule changed and now I have Saturdays off so I am getting lots of trigger time with the result of improved scores. Yesterday i was smoking almost all the shooters in my division & classification and I got cocky at the last stage: 7 targets plus a non-shoot.
    I smoked the first two, took my time with the target with the hostage (headshot at 5 yards) and then went into warp speed generating a fantastic time.... Only one problem... I forgot to shoot the last target way back there at the 25 yard line, never saw it because I was in the speed mode. A three shots per target I accumulated 15 points down plus a failure to neutralize
    Slow down, make sure you make the holes in the right targets and use cover!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Never shot in a IDPA match but I've shot in a few CAS matches. There's an old saying in CAS that I've found to be quite true: "You can't miss fast enough to win". Make your shots count. Work on smoothness and accuracy and speed (to the max of your natural ability) will follow.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Slow is smooth; smooth is fast. I remind myself of this everyday. I find endless applications for this.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Maybe if I slowed down and just practice good form, my time would improve and I wouldn't be getting penalized for shooting hostages. Ugh.
    You are onto something. Sometimes a goal like, "I want to shoot the whole match with no penalties (or hostages, or down 3s, or whatever)" is a good starting place.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Sponsor
    Concentrate on getting your hits, your times will improve as your confidence to make the hits increases.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

You could do like Steve McQueen in that movie he couldn't hit nothing with a pistol so he cut down a SxS shotgun and made a pistol outta it,it's really hard to miss anything in front of you with that
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

everyone says slow is smooth and smooth is fast, i like this saying better: "you can't miss fast enough"
    Don't worry, I got in last place too. It takes practice, and it's humbling. By all means don't quit just because you did badly. It's not about who comes in first place, it's about getting in good practice under stress. IMO? Don't calm yourself down! You want your heart to be racing. Be afraid! The whole point of shooting matches is to do everything you can to simulate what might actually happen in the real world. Because if you ever do need to use your gun, the stress and fear will be 100x greater. I do my best to hype myself up before a match. I try and get myself freaked out about it. then when the time comes I fight through it, make my shots count, and do my best.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Maybe if I slowed down and just practice good form, my time would improve and I wouldn't be getting penalized for shooting hostages. Ugh.
    Idonno , back when i competed ( early to mid 80s ) at a local level one of my friends , and co competitors was the owner of a local liquor store who also had a ( back then may issue ) ccw . I used to just kick his butt and then go back and shoot all the " hostages " . I would allways loose , but i would turn to him and with a straight face inform him how much i hoped i could help him if he was ever robbed . He became a pretty good shooter under the goad lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links