Got Any Anti-Gun Friends?

This is a discussion on Got Any Anti-Gun Friends? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a friend of 10+ years back in California and it wasn't until just a few years ago that I realized he was as ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Got Any Anti-Gun Friends?

I have a friend of 10+ years back in California and it wasn't until just a few years ago that I realized he was as liberal as one can be. Which put him on the other end of the political spectrum from me.

The one time that we discussed guns, he had me speechless when he said, "I just feel unsafe around guns. I don't care who has em (- me included.)"

He also went on to say that NOTHING will change his mind about guns saving lives, and that guns are bad, bad, bad.

Thank the Lord I don't have any more liberal friends.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Not for long....
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have several friends and family that run the gambit. Almost all own a fire-arms, only half would own a pistol, but I think most would not make firearms a top 5 priority. Out of say 50 close family and friends only 3 to 5 make gun-right voting a priority. Good number are NRA members.

I have a brother (just went with to the range two days in a row with) who is very pro-gun, and would give HotGuns a run for his money on more pro-gun.

So it is hard to answer the queston, because while none are anti-gun, I doubt few take gun rights as serious as I think they should. So in a way, 90% are not pro-gun (but I could not call then anti-gun). As long as they could have some type of home SD weapon (shotgun or pistol) and their hunting rifles, I doubt they would consider it a priority.

So no anti-gun. 90% luke-warm. 10% pro-gun.

Yeah they are all called women! LOL Oh there is the ocassional one that is fine with guns, but those are the ones that usually grew up around them, most city ones, are the ones scared of them. Very few anti gun friends here.
    "If ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."

Samuel Adams

Nope....if they are anti-gun, they're not friends......I have very few friends anyway. Friends are a weakness. Better to find good acquaintances with good resources and similar thinking.

lol @ Ram Rod

Yeah, over the years I've eliminated the "friends" that don't enrich my life too.

I also have a lot of acquaintances that visit from other countries. I usually try to take them shooting if possible. I've yet to have anyone turn me down. As for women, I wish we can go shooting more often together. The last time was when we were in Vegas and shot an Uzi, an MP5, and an AK47 - all fully automatic at an indoor range. Now THAT was fun!
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Thumbs down That Dog Won't Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Nope....if they are anti-gun, they're not friends......I have very few friends anyway. Friends are a weakness. Better to find good acquaintances with good resources and similar thinking.
    Hello All,

+1 for what Ram Rod said.

My personal definition of a "true friend" is a person that when called

on any given day or time of day to help asks only two questions

1. Where do you want me?
    2. What should I bring?

That being said, I feel one should count themselves very lucky to go

through Life with more than a handfull of friends.

YMMV

Safety First....Keep your groups tight,

mM

Several friends and most family members. Though the ones who dictated long ago that I was not welcome because of ideas related to firearms long since ceased being an issue.

None appreciates the simplicity of the equation. Even when placed in a simple hypothetical situation, unarmed against an armed intruder, this group fails to see that the benefits are justified. Even when the "pursuit of life" is acknowledged to be a right of everyone, the 2A is generally seen as an abomination despite being the most-efficient method of preserving the pursuit (of life, against threats). Boggles the mind. Their problem; not mine.

Thankfully, none has yet been shown the practical lunacy of the all-out mental ban they've imposed, as a result of a violent person crime against them. All I can do is hope their luck holds. I suspect it will not.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I thought about it. I have friends that are afraid of guns or don't like guns, but I can't think of any real antis. I generally don't find antis to be reasonable people and I don't really care to be around unreasonable people. I'm an avid Believer and I have friends that are agnostics, but I don't have friends that are antis.

One night after the gun show, before my shift, I showed a friend/coworker the rifle I had in my truck. She said "scary." Then she told me she has nothing against guns and readily admits that her ignorance is the sustenance of her fear. Later she accepted my invitation for a free class. We are yet to make a day at the range.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I discovered some after I bought my first firearm.

They eventually selected themselves out of my friendship.

Good Riddance.

kpw
    Not really. I know people that are mildly anti but my friends? No.

No real 'anti's' in my family or friends. Most of my 'friends' are more like good acquaintances......after reading Ram Rod's post and evaluating my present and past circle of 'friends', I realized I am more like that than I thought.

I too have some in my circle who don't 'like' guns for thier own particular reasons, but they are by no means anti. Some around me question why I carry everywhere I legaly can, but most also carry wherever they can as well. It's an intresting situation with those who don't 'like' guns, they've all expressed, at one time or another, that they don't mind my carrying a sidearm (they know me) and have felt "secure" with my 'being around'. I've offered to assist those in learning to shoot, more to just get them past thier fear of guns, but they trun me down. Oh well, I don't get it but I'll respect it. They respect my carrying.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

My daughters in-laws are anti gun screaming liberal lawyers. Always makes for a good time.

chuckE, I used to work for a company with european shareholders. When they would come to the states they (especally the Germans) would jump at the opportunity to shoot (we were mainly shooting sporting clays at the time). It was interesting to watch and talk to them as they had no experience with firearms, but were extremely interested.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Nope and plan to keep it that way.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I can't even use 'anti-gun' and 'friend' in the same sentence.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links