Do you not shoot a gun because cleaning it is a PITA?

This is a discussion on Do you not shoot a gun because cleaning it is a PITA? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was talking to a friend of mine at the IDPA tournament last weekend. We were discussing guns (imagine that). He mentioned that he has ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I was talking to a friend of mine at the IDPA tournament last weekend. We were discussing guns (imagine that). He mentioned that he has a few guns that he rarely shoots because cleaning them is such a pain. He just said that the disassembly and reassembly was so "painful" that he would rather not shoot them.

Does anyone have a gun that he/she rarely shoots because cleaning them is so onerous?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    No. Cleaning weapons is sort of a hobby for me.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I find cleaning my guns fun and relaxing. I'll sit in front of the TV, watching a good action flick while doing so. The way they look after I'm done is nice too!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I do find cleaning my revolvers to be a PIA(all those holes)..so I do often pick an auto.Iused to be a real cleaning nazi,but not so much now.Only my carries get cleaned after every outing.Others get a wipe down,and a good cleaning after maye 400 rounds.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

I kinda have Subnine's attitude on this. After a range trip, taking down the firearms for a good cleaning is part of the range day. Either sitting around enjoying the fellowship/company of my range partners or just hanging out, watching TV, or listening to the radio, or whatever, while cleaning the weapons.

If a gun was too much of a problem, or I just didn't 'want' to clean it, I get rid of it. I clean all my guns......never really had that problem.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

All of my firearms strip down really easy so I shoot them a lot and clean occassionally except my carry gun gets cleaned after every shooting session and cleaned weekly just carrying
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Try using Gunzilla, it cut cleaning time at Camp Perry in half.

www.gunzilla.us
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I find most good quality guns take down easy and clean easy........maybe its more about laziness......maybe not.....you know your friend and I don't....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Compared to my Glock, I remember my Colt Series 80 Gov't Model was a PITA. Which is one reason why I have a Glock today.
    Bitter and clinging to my guns and my religion.

Can't really think of any decent arms for which field stripping is that big a deal...

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Only my Colt Woodsman , at about 5k rounds it gets real sticky , and about at 4k i loan it to my son for a while ( along with a couple boxes of " bulk " ammo ) . So far the system has worked , but he is starting to whimper a bit .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I enjoy cleaning also, but I must admit, my Ruger Mark II is a PITA to reassemble. You need to get that bolt pin just right...
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    I enjoy cleaning also, but I must admit, my Ruger Mark II is a PITA to reassemble. You need to get that bolt pin just right...
    +1
    My old MK II was the most fun to shoot.....and the most 'attention intensive' firearm to clean. It got cleaned after every trip though......just one more thing to deal with and although a somwhat PITA, I never viewed it that way.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I don't find the MKII all that difficult to reassemble or take down. I'd rather clean that twice than clean a single action revolver once.

BAC
    Well, Chooie, I don't have a single action revolver (yet) but I tend to agree with the other two that the MKII is a serious SOB to clean. Absolutely love shooting it, and it's probably the most accurate firearm my family owns, but cleaning isn't so fun.

-B

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links