Bolt Gun Recommendation

This is a discussion on Bolt Gun Recommendation within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey everyone. I really want to try and get into long range shooting and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on an entry level ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt Gun Recommendation

Bolt Gun Recommendation

Hey everyone. I really want to try and get into long range shooting and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on an entry level bolt action 308? I found a NIB FN PBR with a 24" barrel for $650. Is this a decent rifle or should I go for a Remington 700 PSS or maybe a Savage 10FP? Or something entirely different?

Also if anyone has any recommendations on optics, that would be greatly appreciated. I know that good optics cost quite a bit, so I'm just looking for something that will get me by for 6-12 months while I'm learning the ropes. Overall, I would like to stay around a grand for the rifle and scope (if possible).

Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Ads

Just my two cents.

One way to start is with a military surplus rifle. A M44 is a cheap good rifle to start with. If you want a "new" rifle I'd go with the Remington. I just picked one up yesterday. Haven't shot it yet, but I've tried a few others at the range.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-long-gun.html

As for optics I'll leave that for people wiser than I, since I'm still trying to figure that out myself.
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

Quote Originally Posted by cpmiv View Post
    Just my two cents.

One way to start is with a military surplus rifle. A M44 is a cheap good rifle to start with. If you want a "new" rifle I'd go with the Remington. I just picked one up yesterday. Haven't shot it yet, but I've tried a few others at the range.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-long-gun.html

As for optics I'll leave that for people wiser than I, since I'm still trying to figure that out myself.
    Thanks for the reply! I'll add a +1 to Remington. Nice looking rifle, btw!

Also for everyone else, here are a few requirements for the rifle I want to get:

1) It's gotta be .308 due to the availability and price of decent factory "match" ammo
    2) There is no #2 but things always sound better in 3's
    3) It should be upgradable (i.e. swap out the barrel for a 26" chrome lined... replace the stock with an adjustable one... etc)

Administrator
    A 700 is always a good choice, the Savages have gained some respect as well... I think your money would be better spent on a 700. The action can be built into just about anything you want.

Glass is very much "you get what you pay for". But, there are some decent starter set ups. The "Super Sniper" is a decent cheap scope, that will definatly allow you to get your feet wet for little money. A lot of times, you can find higher end Leupolds or Nikons in scratch and dent sales or if a particular model gets discountinued. Once you join a rifle club, you will find deals there too. Someone is always trying to buy a home, getting divorced etc.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A 700 is always a good choice, the Savages have gained some respect as well... I think your money would be better spent on a 700. The action can be built into just about anything you want.

Glass is very much "you get what you pay for". But, there are some decent starter set ups. The "Super Sniper" is a decent cheap scope, that will definatly allow you to get your feet wet for little money. A lot of times, you can find higher end Leupolds or Nikons in scratch and dent sales or if a particular model gets discountinued. Once you join a rifle club, you will find deals there too. Someone is always trying to buy a home, getting divorced etc.
    Thanks for the info, SIXTO! Somebody else recommended the "Super Sniper" to me as well. I'll definitely scout around a bit for a better deal first

Administrator
    Just to add; a 700 will grow with you, and if you buy a cheap rifle now, you will have to replace it eventually. The 700 action is the most common seen rifle out there, so there are tons of parts and help available.
    Another good base is a Mauser of some sorts, but it will take more "doing" to build.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd look at a Ruger M-77, or maybe a CZ.

I prefer the Mauser-style action over the Remington action any day.

My second choice would be the Savage. There are also a lot of aftermarket parts for Savages out there; you can pick one up and put some good glass (Leupold VX-III, Kahles) on it for considerably less then $1k.

I'm looking at a Savage Tactical .308 right now; I like the Accu-Trigger quite a bit. It's a little more pricy than a baseline model Savage, but...it's a nice rifle.

Savage Arms Law Enforcement Series Model 10FP-LE2A

I think I'm going to get rid of my XD-M for it.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

A Remington 700 of course gets my vote... but also I am a fan of the Browning A bolt with BOSS particularly if your going with Glass anyway. I certainly wont turn my nose up at a Savage either.

I like my Savage in .308. It's an older model 110fp and Aurora Tactical has lightened the trigger pull, and glass bedded the action. I make my own loads for this rifle and it's superb. I bought this at a gun show about six years ago for $400. I have a Springfield Armory Gen III scope on that. I do have a Remington 700BDL Varmint in 22-250 and it's smooth. I've installed a Tubb 'speed lock' firing pin, and I'd like to smooth the trigger pull a bit with that one. For base models in either, and a possibly equal prices, to me the Savage has a smoother action and better trigger out of the box, and may leave more left to go toward that scope.
    Remington 700BDL in 22-250

The Savage

Administrator
    One thing worth mentioning about the Ruger's is the two piece bolt; it does flex and this can cause some problems. However 99.9% of shooters will never shoot well enough for this to be a factor anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Sixto is giving you some real good advice on picking out a long range rifle.

Here is my .035 cents worth...

Get a Remington PSS. Find one of the long barrell versions.

Plan a healthy budget for glass. Nikon can be a good lower cost starter, but figure that you will eventually be bucking for a much pricier leupold or other.

Plan on either a trigger job, or an aftermarket trigger group. If you have a gunsmith work on it, really check out his work and research some references too. Your investing in a precision rifle, and you don't want anything less than a very qualified person working on it.

Don't worry about an after market stock or doing anything like "bedding" the stock. Remington makes the PSS series as a complete package. Do invest in an good inch-pound wrench for torking the set screws on the stock to the same every time once you find what works for that rifle. Having that stock torked correctly and the same every time can mean the difference between an 1 1/2" group and a 1/4" group.

Break the barrell and gun in properly. There are some different schools of thought on this. Do some research.

Plan on doing a cryo treatment for at least the barrell. Some people will cryo the barrell and action at the same time. Others will not shoot the weapon until it has been cryo'd first (my belief is that is the best way to go). Either way, plan on a cryo treatment. It will improve the accuracy and consistency of that rifle by leaps and bounds. By the time you will reach the point of thinking you need to swap out the barrell for something custom, your skill should be at the point that you will be looking at building a whole new custom gun from scratch.

Thats just scratching the surface to the world of precision shooting, but it should give something to chew on as you compile all the information your gathering right now.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Administrator
    I know this isnt want you want to talk about, but the absolute best piece of equipment you can buy to enhance your rifle skills is a good quality single shot or bolt action .22.
    It amazing how skills will transfer once you graduate to the big boys.

oh yeah, never buy a used precision rifle unless you plan on re barreling.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I know this isnt want you want to talk about, but the absolute best piece of equipment you can buy to enhance your rifle skills is a good quality single shot or bolt action .22.
    It amazing how skills will transfer once you graduate to the big boys.

oh yeah, never buy a used precision rifle unless you plan on re barreling.
    I learned a lot of skills as a youngin' on a ruger 10/22 with a butler creek bull barrell and a decent scope. I found cci mini mags were the best round for it, and my best group was 1/4" at a hundered yards with it. Great way to learn breathing and muscle control without the recoil and on a cheap budget.

And Sixto is right, if you buy used plan on a re-barreling it. I would say just start right off with a brand new gun.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Administrator
    I made a side business out of building up 10/22's in college. They can do about anything you want to do. To make a sale, I'd tape aspirins to a paper target and run it on out to 30yds and shoot them with a 10/22 with a Butler Creek barrel and usually a Volquartson trigger group. If allowed to get that far in my pitch, I always sold a gun. BTW, I found Green Tags to be slightly more accurate. The mini mags had a little to much zip; but thats what I use for squirrels.

Anyway, back to topic, my biggest piece of advice is to select common equipment, its a lot easier to get help that way...and everybody will need help when first entering the hobby.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I would not count out the Savages at all. As Ram Rod posted, i shot one of the Savage tacticals in .308 a few years back with my gunsmith. I shot a 5 sshot group you could cover with a dime at 100 yards. The mighty Remington PSS could do no better in a head to head shoot off.

The difference in price was about $600......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links