marlin 336a versus 336c differences

This is a discussion on marlin 336a versus 336c differences within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just saw what I thought was a great deal on a new marlin 336 in .30-30. It was $349 and it comes with a ...

Thread: marlin 336a versus 336c differences

marlin 336a versus 336c differences

I just saw what I thought was a great deal on a new marlin 336 in .30-30. It was $349 and it comes with a mounted scope (3-9x40). Usually $399, but Dicks sporting goods had a sale for $349. Guess what I have at home now? 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count.

It is a 336A. Looking at marlinfirearms, I see the C is positioned as better than the A in their literature. The only difference I can see is the stock, buttpad, marshield finish and a fluted comb.

Is there any difference between the models that is more than just cosmetics? I really don't want a cheaper firing mechanism or less accurate rifle. The furniture is no problem, that can be updated if I ever feel the need.

So, what differences are there? And what is the functionality of fluting the comb on a stock. I'm guessing it is aesthetics only, but I have been known to be wrong before.

And not related to the differences, but I'll ask anyway. I plan on using this exclusively for short distance deer hunting. Some property I hunt is very limited acreage and I would be shooting at most, 80 yards. I am thinking about removing the scope and putting some type of hi-viz fiber optics on the gun. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

The wood on the stocks is much nicer on the 336c models. One has a walnut finish, the other is a walnut stock. Other than that, they are going to be the same guns mechanically.

If your only going to be shooting at 80 yds or so, ditch the scope. You might be surprised when looking at the open sights that come on these guns, and want to keep them.

I have 3, 336's two in .35 Rem,one is a sc from the 40's and one is a cs from the 80's, and one in .32 Win Spec it is an a from the 50's. All of them have very nice sights, and I only use the open sights that came on the guns. The two from the 40's and 50's have much nicer stocks than the one from the 80's, but I think that c's now have pretty good wood.

Anyway, which ever one you choose to go with I am sure you won't be disappointed. FYI, I didn't give over 200 for any of mine.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    I am thinking about removing the scope and putting some type of hi-viz fiber optics on the gun. Any recommendations?
    MidwayUSA - Williams FP-94/36 Set Receiver Peep Sight with Front Fire Sight Winchester 94, Marlin 336 Top Eject Aluminum Black

You need a peep sight. Very quick, very bright, easy to use,very deadly.

I put one on my .444 and I love it.

Or, you could try this...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...276&t=11082005
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I bought the 336 in stainless...instead of a scope, I replaced the front site with a fiber optic front site...perfect.
    A great brush gun, or around the house for 'shortage of food mob control'...

Stay armed...put a 30-30 in your arsenal...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great stuff.

farronwolf - thanks for the info. on the stocks and the mechanics.

Hotguns - thanks for the links. Those 2 options are exactly what I need. I am not sure if I will go with the peep or the three dots, but i will be getting one of them.

retsupt99 - I do like the leverguns. Up until now, never bought one. The shorter range rifle hunting is a good "reason". Plus the mob control aspect of it.

Regards and thanks all.

I've got a 336A in .30-30. As already stated, the difference between the "A" and "C" models is purely cosmetic.

I got mine before they were slapping scopes on them though. I routinely take it out to 200 yards on a the iron sights. I shoot at a 12" square Shoot-N-C target from a bench. I use 170 Gr. Monarch ammo (Read: The cheapest ammo I can find) at 200 yards and get decent groups. I find I'll have about 70% on the target, and half will be in a 5" group. Not bad for iron sights IMHO.

They're a great, versatile gun to have. I'd recommend a Limb Saver recoil pad though. It made a huge difference for me (I shoot a LOT).

Good luck, and stay safe.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

nothing like a lever gun,I got a marlin 22 lever action and it shoots good,and had a 336 30-30 years ago,most deer are usually within 100 yds which is a great distance for that gun and the heavy bullets really put a wumpun on critters
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Just wondering, what kind of scope came on it?
    "Just blame Sixto"

The scope had no name on it. in the scope 3-9x40. The paper that came in scope box has D-TG-IS-03 Printed in China, Product Made in China (c) 2008 Delta OEM LLC.

The mount is a weaver top mount one piece base and I don't know who makes the scope rings.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    The scope had no name on it. in the scope 3-9x40. The paper that came in scope box has D-TG-IS-03 Printed in China, Product Made in China (c) 2008 Delta OEM LLC.

The mount is a weaver top mount one piece base and I don't know who makes the scope rings.
    Thanks. I'm considering purchasing the same, but I'm not really interested if the scope isn't all that great; I don't expect it to be at the price difference they are offered at. However, It might be worth it just for the base and rings.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've been researching products on midway as HotGuns shared. I also wasted waaay too much time browsing the marlin owners forum

I think I am going to go with the XS ghost ring site. Then I may add an XS Scout mount and be able to mount any scope or red dot site whenever. But for this coming season, I will be just using a rear peep/ghost ring and front site.

Good luck with your decision and your upcoming deer hunt(s) this year.

Another question before I purchase, are there any flip up rear peep sights for the 336 that can be flipped down if/when using a scope or red dot. Like the flip up BUIS sights on AR's?

Senior Moderator
    I have never seen one. The back sight that comes with the Marlin does flip out of the way for peeps or scopes though.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Wow HotGuns, that was a quick turnaround time.

I am thinking about putting a scout mount on it so I can add a scope/red dot later. The scout mount actually uses the dovetail that the rear sight uses, so that would be out.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Links