Glasses for those of us that can't focus on the front sight - a discovery...

This is a discussion on Glasses for those of us that can't focus on the front sight - a discovery... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This subject has been posted before, but it's been a while and I finally got to evaluate the changing eye sight for myself. The issue ...

Thread: Glasses for those of us that can't focus on the front sight - a discovery...

Senior Moderator

Glasses for those of us that can't focus on the front sight - a discovery...

This subject has been posted before, but it's been a while and I finally got to evaluate the changing eye sight for myself. The issue kinda goes like this:

As one gets older, close up vision changes. I've certainly 'seen' my vision change from not being able to read listings in a telephone book, etc. to not being able to focus clearly on the front sight at arm's length.

In fact, presently, I wear +1.5 reading glasses in the mornings just to sharpen my distance vision and even stronger reading glasses to read with. Then by about noon, I can see about as well without the +1.5 reading glasses as I can with them so I take them off for the rest of the day. However, I still have to have about +2.00 for close-up work and reading.

I've shot for several years using +1.5 full lens reading glasses to get a decent focus on the front sight. This practice has resulted in the nagging concern that if I were in a spontaneous gunfight, I likely wouldn't have my 1.5+ glasses on which would lead to seeing a different sight picture due to focus issues.

So when I got to the range yesterday and discovered I didn't have my 1.5+ glasses, I decided it was time to see what I could do without them. So I donned my safety glasses, set up a target and started shooting.

I began with my H&K USP and did pretty well, certainly good enough to defend myself by any standard. Then for some odd reason, I switched to my G-17 and hits got more accurate and tighter.

I shot 150 rounds, about 100 through the G-17. My baseline test is one hole at 3 yards and I had no trouble doing that at all. Next was rapid fire at 7 yards. No problem there either.

Conclusion: For some odd reason, I shoot as well without the +1.5 glasses as I do with them. I have noticed in the past that I seem to shoot about as well and maybe faster when I can't get a sharp focus on the sights. I would expect the sharper focus would become more significant with distance, but I didn't thest that.

I'm not sure how to explain this phenomenon. Some would opin I go into a point shoot mode, but I haven't seen anyone point shoot five shots in single hole - and I don't mean a cloverleaf - just one hole a bit larger than the caliber, 9mm in this case. Plus I shoot the same way when I have good focus on the front sight or if I don't.

It may be this simple: if one has practiced the same shooting technique consistently, the brain develops an ability to center blurs just like it does sharply focused sights. I just don't know for sure. But I am relieved to know that if I need to, I can shoot about as well and maybe even faster without corrective lens.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I guess I'm blessed on this one. I can still see my front front site in daylight but need reading glasses for up close. Night sights work well for me without glasses also after the sun goes down.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

My eyes are about like yours. I seem to shoot better without glasses than with them. I see a very fuzzy blade centered in a extremely fuzzy notch and a nice sharp target. I can't tell if there are white dots on the sights, but can easily keep all my shots inside a 6" circle at 25 yards with any of my pistols.

Sometimes when testing ammo for accuracy, I shot off a rest using 1.5X readers. I can see my sight and the target is only slightly fuzzy. The results are strange. Some days I can shoot fabulous groups with any of the pistols I have with me, and some days I can't shoot as well as I do offhand without glasses.
    Last edited by obxned; August 29th, 2008 at 12:25 AM.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I've in the same boat and have been making the same experiments. I've been looking for a full lens reading glasses, but have had little success. Where did you find your?

Quote Originally Posted by ks1911 View Post
    I've in the same boat and have been making the same experiments. I've been looking for a full lens reading glasses, but have had little success. Where did you find your?
    Dollar General Store has them. I wear tri focals, but for layout goose hunting I need the full lens glasses with a 1.5 diopter.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I had a pair of glasses made with lenses so that I can read my computer which is about 22 inches from my face with a increase for my bifocal lense. These are great for my sights but not for the target.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I bought a pair of shooters safety glasses at Sportsman's Guide that have a 1.5 bifocal portion in the bottom of the lens. The rest is plain. $13. The sights are in perfect focus when I use them. I think they are by Remington.

Administrator

Thumbs up

Well, the good news is that the human brain in combination with the eyes will always attempt to make things look balanced and correct.
    So the eyes for sure will "center" an object like a front sight even if it is less than perfectly crisp.

That's not really much different than focusing on the front sight - (having the front sight appear crisp) and centered on a blurry intended target (as is normal) and which the human eye adjusts/adapts to perfectly.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Well, the good news is that the human brain in combination with the eyes will always attempt to make things look balanced and correct.
    So the eyes for sure will "center" an object like a front sight even if it is less than perfectly crisp.

That's not really much different than focusing on the front sight - (having the front sight appear crisp) and centered on a blurry intended target (as is normal) and which the human eye adjusts/adapts to perfectly.
    +1 - I think that's exactly it.

I think I got my full lens reading glasses at one of the drug stores. In fact I have a +1 lens that I got from a drug store.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Reading glasses/bifocals are made to let your eyes focus on objects a certain distance from the eyes (normal reading distance). When holding a gun the front sight is well beyond this point, causing distortion and blurred vision. Unless you wear trifocals its hard to find a happy medium. Trifocals are such a pain in the ***, they are not worth it. The biggest help I've found is self illuminating night sights. The glow from the front sight is bright enough that the eyes don't need to focus on it.

Try a little experiment with a ruler. Looking thru the bifocal hold the tip of the ruler a normal reading distance, now move the ruler out to where the front site would be. You should notice that your eyes are having a hard time focusing on the ruler. Now try it again with the regular glasses. Most people have a zone thats blurry and unless you wear trifocals to cover this area its hard to correct.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

I am Nearsighted and have been since I was 13, I have always practiced shooting both pistols and rifles without my glasses. There is no guarantee that you will have your glasses or that they will stay on in a confrontation. My dad always said plan for the worse, pray for the best.

Links