Sighting In My Rifle

Sighting In My Rifle

This is a discussion on Sighting In My Rifle within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have had my Savage .308 bore sighted to 50 yards. My understanding is that this means the rifle will fire accurately (i.e. hit the ...

Thread: Sighting In My Rifle

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

Sighting In My Rifle

I have had my Savage .308 bore sighted to 50 yards. My understanding is that this means the rifle will fire accurately (i.e. hit the paper, somewhere) at 50 yards.

If this is correct, does this mean to sight the rifle in at 100 yards, all I have to do is start shooting at a 100 yard target, see where the round strikes the target & adjust the windage & elevation knobs accordingly?

Should I bring a ruler with me?

Use a graph target or 'sight in' target with the 1/4" or 1" squares...then you won't need a ruler. Most scopes are 1/4" click @100yds. Depending on how you will be utilizing your rifle, a 100yd zero may be good, or you may want to make a 200yd zero. Study the ballistics of the .308 and your favorite load. If your rifle has been bore sighted at 50yds....you should hit paper at 50yds and be close to point of aim. Once you are dead on at 50yds, you should be able to calculate elevation adjustments to hit dead on at 100yds. To make a 200yd zero shooting at 100yds, you'll need to adjust the scope elevation to shoot high by approximately 2" at 100yds. A ballistics chart of the .308 will help you immensely.

Short answer, yes you should be on paper at 50 yards. You will need to fine tune the windage and elevation adjustments on your scope to get the gun to hit exactly where you aim. Bore sighting does nothing more than get you in the ball park of your aiming point. You could arguable skip shooting the 50 yard range, and just go straight to the 100 yard range to fine tune the bore sighting. I have a el cheapo boresighter, and even it will get me on target at 100 yards from the bore sight.

Just to be safe, I would fire off a few rounds at 50 yards before backing up to 100 yards.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    I think the trajectory of .308 is flat enough that if you are on center of paper at 50 yards, you will still be on paper at 100 and even 200 yards. You wont be POA/POI though, but you will be close enough to set your scope to point of aim point of impact.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Bore sighting with any super modern equipment means little. Get yourself and your rifle out to a 100 yard range and get to work.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    I guess my question is, how do you do this? Is my original post right?

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    a very simple method for getting point of aim to be coincident with point of impact is to adjust the scope from POA to POI while the rifle is held securly on sandbags by "assistants", or in a good tight gun vise.

1. First, bore sight the scope (either old style using the iron sights or removing the bolt and looking directly through the tube, or using a "modern" bore sight tool) at 25 yards and then fire one shot at a precise mark for POA...use a "cross mark" target.

2. With gun held seculry, point center of "cross mark" target - make sure gun is secure

3. With gun securly positioned, adjust crosshair of scope to coincide with first bullet hole.

4. Reload, point at "cross mark", fire round 2, and be amazed

5. Move out to 50 or 100 yards and repeat if necessary, or begin fine tuning

This will almost always have you well within a few clicks north, south, east or west, and save a lot of ammunition.

surv
    Last edited by mr surveyor; August 29th, 2008 at 10:23 AM.

VIP Member
    Take your time and do it right. Fire one shot at fifty yards. If your on paper at 50 yards shoot a three shot group. See where it is and adjust the scope accordingly. Repeat till you are in the bull at 50. Then you will for sure be on paper at 100yds. All you need to do is repeat the process at 100 yds to get sighted in. Make sure you use 3 shot groups and also make sure you let your barrel cool. A hot barrel can change point of aim. Remember your first shot at a buck will be with a cold barrel.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    I guess my question is, how do you do this? Is my original post right?
    Basically. Get or make target paper with 1" graph lines. Shoot at 100 yrds. Adjust the bullet impact to the center bulls eye. A sandbag and steady rest helps. I use 2 -3 shot groups before adjusting to make sure I didn't have a bad shot.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OK, here's a puzzle for ya.
    I just bought a Mini 14 and it came with a scopemount already installed. No iron sight. I went out and bought a nifty electronic (red dot) sight and mounted same. Could not hit the paper at 50 yds. Went to 25 yds. NOPE. Asked permission from the range master to use the pistol range for a few shots.
    Aimed at the bull....Nada.
    Aimed one full target hight above the targer....Zippo.
    Aimed one full target UNDER the target. Nothing.
    Half a box of ammo spent and not one hole in the paper.
    Spotter could not see where the rounds were hitting.

Soooooooo where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance.

Links