.45 Colt vs. .454 Casull

.45 Colt vs. .454 Casull

This is a discussion on .45 Colt vs. .454 Casull within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wonder if this round will fit/fire in the new Taurus Judge 3" chamber? A bit from the internet.... "The .45 Colt is the basis ...

Thread: .45 Colt vs. .454 Casull

.45 Colt vs. .454 Casull

I wonder if this round will fit/fire in the new Taurus Judge 3" chamber?

A bit from the internet....

"The .45 Colt is the basis for the much more powerful .454 Casull cartridge, with the .454 Casull having a slightly longer and stronger case. Any .454 Casull revolver will also chamber and fire .45 Colt, but the inverse is impossible due to the Casull's longer case.

The .460 S&W Magnum is an even longer version of the .454 Casull and the .45 Colt. Likewise, .460 Magnum revolvers can also chamber and fire the two lesser calibers, but again, the inverse is impossible."

So, it seems that since the chamber is actually 3 inches long to chamber the .410 shotshells, it should also be able to take the shorter length .454 casull? They're a tad longer than the .45 colts, but everything else looks identical.

Maybe the question is yes, they can fire them, but are they too powerful for the gun....
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Senior Moderator
    I would imagine so.

The .45 Colt is a fairly low pressure round compared to most, as is the .410 shotgun.

One of the reasons that the Casull is such a scorcher is because it it loaded to much higher pressures than most handgun rounds.

The .460 is even hotter than the Casull and approaches pressure that some rifle cartridges see. But the .460 guns are built very heavy duty to accommodate that.

I do not think it would be a wise move to try another other cartridge in the gun other than what it was designed for.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The only reason it crossed my mind tonight was the fact that the 45's were sitting right next to the casull on the shelf and it read 300 grains. The same as the .45LC made by buffalo bore -- and that's +P! (http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=386445)

I suppose even the 300 grain +p .45 rounds are still less pressure than the casulls?
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Senior Moderator
    Yep...lots less.
    A hot loaded .45LC is only around 950 FPS.
    The Casulls is up around 1500 FPS.

Not even in the same league really.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Please do not put a 454 casull or a 460 xvr into a taurus judge and try to shoot it.

Just because a bullet will fit into a gun does not mean it is meant to be shot out of it.

+p and +p+ rounds will fit into guns that are not designed for the pressures they create.

cup pressure of a 45 colt is 14,000 on the high side a 410 load is only about 12,000, cup pressure of a 454 is 52,000 on the high side and the 460 can be as high as 57,000. These pressures are nearly 4 times as much as a 45 colt and 410.

Again, please do not try this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Administrator
    The Judge cylinder wall thickness could very likely not handle that much of an increase in pressure without suffering a catastrophic failure.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for the information! Just curious -- I actually have never heard of the casulls until I saw them tonight.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Yep...lots less.
    A hot loaded .45LC is only around 950 FPS.
    The Casulls is up around 1500 FPS.

Not even in the same league really.
    Jesus, Casull numbers are that high? What does the 460 see then?

-B

Senior Moderator
    Jus for a comparison, using ACCURATE load data on the web,
    it shows,

.45 Colt 240 Sierra @ 854 FPS
    .454 Casull 240 Sierra @ 1489 FPS
    .460 S&W 240 XTP @ 1820 FPS

A "hot" loaded .45 Colt that is to be used for only a TC or a Ruger shows 1010 FPS.

quite a difference.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

My Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt shoots my 300 JHP handloads at 1127 FPS and factory Corbon 300 JSP at 1347 FPS. The Corbon loads are pretty stout and speak with authority. My 1127 FPS handloads are a fine deer killer and will print a 4 inch group at 100 yards off the bench with a Bushnell Holosight.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

454 casull

I have heard that the 454 will fire in the tarus raging judge (looks like the longer raging bull but with judge cylinder) but be for anybody should take someones word it would be smart to contact tarus and ask them if that can be done.

I carry 45 1911 my wife carrys 454 casull

You couldn't pay me to pop a cap on a Judge with a 454 in it. I'm already wearing a 50 BMG primer in my belly from a stupid mistake. I think shooting the 454 ranks there with my 50 BMG mistake. I've got a 1888 Peacemaker and ended up selling my 45 Colt Ruger and Taurus pump 45 Colt rifle so I wouldn't have any hot loads setting around for the Peacemaker. I ended up picking up a S&W Competition 629 44 Magnum from their custom shop. It's a sweet shooting gun and I also picked up a Henry Big Boy 44 Magnum. (for the wife) :-)
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

jyo
    Don't do it!!!

A hot loaded 45 Colt is more powerful than the 44 mag. The limiting factor in loading it is the thin cylinder walls of most revolvers due to the size of the charging holes. The 45 Colt is much better at launching bullets weighing 350 grns or more, and properly loaded, is good for anything on 4 legs.

For more info, check out John Limbaugh. He is probably the formost authority on the magnum 45.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Sponsored Links