Man kills girlfriend while showing her gun, charged with negligent homicide

This is a discussion on Man kills girlfriend while showing her gun, charged with negligent homicide within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Man kills girlfriend while showing her gun, charged with negligent homicide by Ramon Antonio Vargas, The Times-Picayune Tuesday August 19, 2008, 9:30 AM A 23-year-old ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man kills girlfriend while showing her gun, charged with negligent homicide

Exclamation Man kills girlfriend while showing her gun, charged with negligent homicide

Man kills girlfriend while showing her gun, charged with negligent homicide
    by Ramon Antonio Vargas,

The Times-Picayune
    Tuesday August 19, 2008, 9:30 AM

A 23-year-old man's attempt to show his girlfriend a pistol ended in tragedy Monday night when the gun fired, killing her, according to the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office.

Averyell Davis, 23, was shot in the abdomen after the handgun her boyfriend was handling went off, said sheriff's spokesman Col. John Fortunato. Curtis C. Murray has been arrested and booked with one count of negligent homicide.

The couple were in the living room of their home in the 500 block of Behrman Highway in Gretna at about 10:15 p.m. when the gun discharged, Fortunato said. Authorities did not specify what caused the gun to fire.

Emergency responders arrived at the couple's home, where Davis' mother met them and told them that her daughter was shot inside the home.

In the living room, they found Davis lying on the floor with a wounded abdomen.

Responders transported her to Ochsner Medical Center, and on the way there, she told authorities that her boyfriend accidentally shot her, according to Fortunato.

Davis died shortly after arriving at the hospital.

Lt. Don English, the homicide detective handling the case, later booked Murray with the criminal charge at the Jefferson Parish Correctional Center.

Even though the victim claimed it was an accident, "our investigation showed negligence on (Murray's) part, and that's why he was charged," Fortunato said.

Negligent homicide defendants can face up to 5 years in prison, a fine up to $5,000, or both, according to state law.

Ramon Antonio Vargas can be reached at rvargas@timespicayune.com or 504.826.3300.
    ARTICLE

2. Remove Ads

Authorities did not specify what caused the gun to fire.
    Umm... let's see if we can guess???

Finger on trigger, and squeezing?

Very sad incident!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Jefferson Parrish and Gretna are in the heart of lovely New Orleans.

Its a shame that 5 years and a 5000 fine is the strictest punishment allowed. That means he'll be out on parole within 2 years. Way to go Justice System.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Wow that's too bad, proper gun handling could have saved her life.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member

Failure to empty, failure to lock slide open

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    Umm... let's see if we can guess???

Finger on trigger, and squeezing?

Very sad incident!
    Failure to empty, failure to lock slide open, pointing at something you don't want to shoot, and what you wrote too.

Sad.

There is no such thing as a unloaded weapon, keep checking it all the time. Sometimes we just get to complacent.
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

What bothers me is these people not taking themselves out of the gene pool and instead finding someone else who likely doesn't deserve it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

"Honey that's a cool gun you have, by the way I'm pregnant".

I'm sorry.

Tragic and unbelievable. What are some thoughts on an appropriate punishment? Would five years be too short? Too excessive?
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

I don't mean to defend the shooter; he is an idiot and has no sympathy from me.

But I lay this type of thing at the feet of the gun banners.

If our collective society had any sense, firearm safety training would be required in our schools. Instead, the gun grabbers work hard to stop any pending legislation to require it.

This idiot probably learned everything he knows about guns from TV.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

rule #1 Never point your gun at anything you are not willing to destroy.

a complete moron,and a tragic story that common sense could have avoided.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

To answer Zach and Holly's question: The man made a bad mistake that will be with him the rest of his life. He will never recover from it. If he does not serve one day, he will still be haunted from sunup to sundown with this and will probably feel suicidal.
    So, a few years is probably good enough. But then, I ain't no perfect jury either.

A 23-year-old man's attempt to show his girlfriend a pistol ended in tragedy Monday night when the gun fired, killing her, according to the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office.
    I'm always amazed(well maybe not really) that this is almost word for word the way this sort of thing is reported EVERY TIME in EVERY PAPER when this happens.

The gun just fired...all by itself! I need one of those. I could just leave it in the house next to the door and anyone I told it to guard against...it would ...really...

Darn shame someone else had to die for someone elses stupidity again.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    Tragic and unbelievable. What are some thoughts on an appropriate punishment? Would five years be too short? Too excessive?
    I commend them for actually filing negligent homicide charges!

I can't believe what happened 25 miles from my house where the guy shot and killed his wife while using his gun as a drill to install the cable for his satellite dish earlier this summer. They just called it a "tragic accident" and let him walk. Outrageous!

I can't say what is too long, but I won't say 5 years is too short either. I do think he should serve the entire 5 years however. Any less would be too short.

Look, idiot that he is... I'm sure he'll be haunted the rest of his life for killing someone he loved.

But that aside... like in the case of the guy using the gun as a drill for cable installation... You can't give someone a pass for their stupidity when it results in loss of life.

Are there times when someone shouldn't be charged? Yes! But when it is based on totally negligent acts of stupidity... NO, you have to charge them so they will learn what responsibility means!

Glad they charged the idiot.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links