Possible Consequences With Trigger Work

This is a discussion on Possible Consequences With Trigger Work within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do you fill like it is a good idea to lighten up the trigger on a carry gun? God forbid, if you had to defend ...

Distinguished Member

Do you fill like it is a good idea to lighten up the trigger on a carry gun? God forbid, if you had to defend your life and shoot someone, are you likely to go to jail or lose every thing that you have worked for in a civil suit? I feel as long as it wasn't a mistake and it was justified, making a gun easier to hit what you meant to shoot, it shouldn't be a issue, but I am not a Judge or a Lawyer.

(Part 2)
    Does lighten the trigger make it less reliable?

I feel that smoothing up an action is one thing but lightening a trigger pull less than 5# DA or striker fired weapons is asking for trouble,for instance.I was at the gun range shooting my SA 1911 45 and I had put an adjustable trigger in it but it still has about a 4+ # letoff my buddy has a 45 STI 1911 custom match pistol,first time I shot it I just put my finger on the trigger and it was so light it fired,I realise I did apply some force but only the force I usually use to just take up the slight slack in mine,in a SD situation with your adrenaline thru the roof you could very easily accidently fire your weapon,and could be looking at charges if they find you over reacted,then if they examine the gun and find you lightened the trigger they will use that against you.Just my Honest Opinion
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

IMHO - 'smooth' the trigger for a carry gun, don't 'lighten' it. Smoothing makes it more repeatable and thus more accurate. Lighter simply means less pressure required to fire.

I wish the LCP had a lighter trigger pull -- I understand it's heavy for a "built in" safety. I still have difficulty firing it in rapid fire...even with quite a bit of practice.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Distinguished Member
    What I mean by lighten the trigger, I mean from around 10 lbs or more to no less than 6 lbs.

My carry guns all have triggers around 3.5 lbs or so. They are the same triggers I compete with, so everything is repeatable and reliable. I have heard some criticism from folks who tell me that I have a "hair trigger" and will get sued if I ever use them.

I posed this question to my attorney who told me that a hair trigger was not one of my biggest worries, justifying using lethal force was the issue; My attorney has known me for the past 20 years and told me that my previous experience and the fact that I could prove my proficiency with the weapons I train and compete with would negate any prosecutors' frivolous claims.

So I don't worry about it. Thats what the Lawyer is for.....

To answer the questions regarding reliability, if you look to the left of my post you will see my avatar; it is one of the original Springfield Champions I purchased over ten years ago. The trigger on that gun was set at 3.5lbs and has been that way through 20+ thousand rounds of ammo, with no problems whatsoever. The trigger group parts were all STI, the job being done by a Master pistolsmith. The key to any good trigger job is to get a professional to do the work. Do not do this yourself under any circumstances!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member
    Good answer.

If you have a pistol with a short trigger reset, learn to use that to your advantage rather than lightening the trigger pull over all in my opinion.

Factory triggers are at the weights they are for a couple of reasons. The first is to lawyer proof the manufacturer. If the weapon is ever used in a defensive shooting, and it was completely intentional, the trigger work should not matter. Any trigger work should be done either by the manufacturers custom shop or a factory certified armorer. If at any time during the interview or your testimony you ever say anything that could be interpreted as the weapon discharging unintentionally you could be in serious trouble. If you were "struggling over the weapon and it just went off" that trigger job by "Steve at the muffler shop" could cost you everything you have, including your freedom.

The second reason is reliability. Most Sigs come from the factory with a 21lb or 24lb hammer spring. Wolff sells them as light as ( I believe) 14lb. The consensus on Sig Forum is if you go below 19lb you may only get a "click" when you desperately need a BANG.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I'm with edr9x23super.

I have the same trigger on all my pistols. well, with one exception. I do not have an over travel stop on my EDCs like I do on my competition gun so my EDCs have a slightly longer pull.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Links