How is Your Significant Other?

This is a discussion on How is Your Significant Other? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was sitting at home yesterday with three pistols and three spare magazines on the computer desk, typing on this forum. Sometimes they come out ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How is Your Significant Other?

I was sitting at home yesterday with three pistols and three spare magazines on the computer desk, typing on this forum. Sometimes they come out for pictures or to enhance my online experience. My girlfriend walked in the door from work, took one look at at all the hardware and didn't even flinch. She greeted me and walked to the kitchen without a question about the guns to make herself something to eat. It occurred to me that I am a lucky guy. When I met my girlfriend five years ago she had never held a gun and was quite scared of them. I have slowly introduced them to her caliber by caliber. She now likes the SKS the best! She plans on getting her license this year, and is very situationally aware of her surroundings. When in a shady part of town she finally stopped asking if I have "it" on me, because she knows I always do. This is a far cry from some members experiences. I have heard horror stories about wives and girlfriends who can't stand the sight of a forum members guns, let alone that they want to carry them around town. So, how does your significant other feel about your hobby/obsession? IF she was anti, and now isn't maybe you could offer some of the less fortunate some good advice?
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

2. Remove Ads

My bride used to shoot with her friends before we dated. Before we got married and she moved in I took all my firearms out, put them on the table and asked her which one was loaded. Her reply, "All of them." I knew things would be great.

She just got her LTC A with no restrictions. That means here in MA she can carry concealed any thing legal. Though she is not an avid shooter, she is a good shot and has claimed my SP1 as "her" rifle.

She never tells me I can't buy a firearm, nor has she prevented me from going shooting.

BTW, it is not uncommon for me also to have pistol/rifle or two or three out when I'm on the forums. She does not even bat an eye.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

jfl

She is smart, beautiful and sexy, especially with that 3" .357 Scandium.

When I met her 36 years ago, she had never been exposed to guns.
    In 1984, we won the high "husband and wife team" in IHMSA (metallic silhouette) shooting an XP-100 7mm laser (.308 case necked down to 7mm); she was on TV in Los Angeles.
    For one of my birthday she gave me an UZI (before Clinton ban)
    and for another a Luger P-08 ...

So I figure I am a lucky guy ... she's lucky too, to have me
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

My wife of 37 years (official tomorrow) has grown very accustomed to my weapons. She's never really minded me having guns, but was never interested in her own gun...I'm not really interested in sewing and basket making...to each his/her own.

After decades of life experiences, news reports, and my talking, she finally got her CCW permit. She sometimes carries, but usually not if I'm along. She knows I alway have a weapon either on my person or within a few feet away...she understands why. Now she may even ask if I have my weapon with me if we leave the house...she also knows that that is almost a 'silly question'.

Now she usually has a weapon with her when she goes out without me.
    We trust each other and depend upon one another...most of the time, we even think alike, now that's scary.
    Through all the battles (much younger days), and trials...we've grown a lot...we have a super life together...wouldn't trade it for anything.

Stay armed...arm your spouse, too...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I've been married to my wife for 16 years. Her father was an avid hunter, from the backwoods of the Ozark Mountains so she was already pretty receptive of having guns around, though he was not as centered on PD as I am.

Though she herself is not what I'd call an "avid shooter", she is very receptive of me being one. When I find a good price on ammo & buy a couple 1000 rounds, she says "Wow, that was a good deal." :) When I told her last month that I *really* wanted a new Colt Defender & with tax & reg fees it would cost about $1000 out-the-door, she said "So where do we need to go to get one?". When I got it home, she asked "So do I get to shoot it?".

I've worked with her enough that she knows how to pick up any of my guns & determine it's condition. She's also quite capable of loading, racking & blowing a hole in someone if need be. She positively enjoys the security of my carrying just about 24/7, but she doesn't feel that she is up to the task or responsibility of doing so herself.

If she was out there crawling through the dirt & shooting around barricades like I do, she wouldn't be the girl that I married. I'm good with who she is & she's good with who I am :)

How's my significant other?

Married for 34 years now.

For the last year we have been working out together with a couple of "combative fitness" trainers.

In addition, we attend their combatives sessions every Saturday (this week was stick work).

My lovely wife is even talking about getting her carry permit.

She shoots extremely well but only carries a Spyderco Delica at work (works in DC ).

I'd say that she is pretty cool with the whole self defense idea.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

My wife does not carry and actually does not like guns at all. However, she is always glad to know that I am carrying for protection. She is also in full support of my shooting hobbies. Not too shabby, I guess.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

My wife would probably ask if I was looking at guns and If I had found any good ones to buy "her"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    My wife has made my gunning experience tough.......................Every time I buy a new gun, she absconds with it & I have to go buy another just like it for myself.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    My wife would probably ask if I was looking at guns and If I had found any good ones to buy "her"
    I think our wifes must be related. Stopped at the gun store this afternoon. First thing my wife ask was: "You going to buy me a new gun?"

She has no problem with me buying a gun if I want one, and I always have one around me someplace. Although she doesn't carry, she has her permit.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    My wife has made my gunning experience tough.......................Every time I buy a new gun, she absconds with it & I have to go buy another just like it for myself.
    Mmmmmm...now that's a REAL problem.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My wife doesn't blink and eye...Wife & Daughter have their CHL...visits the range once a week...(All in the Family)

Mine was not too crazy about the idea of me carrying at first, but she saw in my eyes there was no discussing it.

She is becoming more used to the idea, and I think she is even coming around to the idea. She has mentioned to me that she is interested, as soon as funds permit, ever since the double murder in Garland, TX of the Christian recording artists.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I heard about that shooting. I live in Fort Worth. your not too far either.
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

MY WIFE OF 24YRS TIS COMMING MONTH HAS ALWAYS SHOT GOOD A SOUTH PAW AT THAT LAST TIME AT RANGE @15 yrd sheWASshooting her .380Hungarian FEG Walther KNOCKOFF but she loves it she was grouping to right 2in oo i tap sights to left dead on .I noticed she was'nt wearing her perscription glasses she put em on if i had a camera i would show you under 2inch groups her hand got tirerd used the 22 phenoxHPA 3 in barrel 3 1/2 groups she always out shoots me as far as the feg 2000+rds 3or 4 ftf very well built or lucky I shoot 3 1/2 grp @15 yrd she don't ccw but it is her car gun leagel FL. Just gose to show she always out shot me for about 30 yrs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links