Guide Rod Springs

Guide Rod Springs

This is a discussion on Guide Rod Springs within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I posted a while back about my Ruger P85 jamming frequently, even with a brand new MecGar magazine and standard 9mm ammo. Several folks thought ...

Thread: Guide Rod Springs

Guide Rod Springs

I posted a while back about my Ruger P85 jamming frequently, even with a brand new MecGar magazine and standard 9mm ammo. Several folks thought the recoil spring could use an update, so I'm about to purchase one at midway -- my question is, do some of you guys actually change out the spring when shooting heavy loads? Or does it really not matter that much. I suppose I'll just purchase the factory rating of 11 lbs -- I was considering buying a heavier spring for heavier fire power, but not sure if it's even necessary.

Gun Parts - Shop Gun Parts for AR-15, Glock & More at MidwayUSA

I've heard the old P85s can take pretty much any ammo that's out there -- I'm curious what a couple of the most powerful 9mm rounds available are -- it seems like Buffalo bore is always on top of their stuff....the only other +P+ I've seen is mostly only available for LE purchase...

The Buffalo Bore +P+:

"(+P+) 147gr. Speer Uni Core" Product Line Listing
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    If you suspect the spring, buy a new factory or equivalent spring and rock on. Don't worry about changing it by the loads you shoot.

On the ammo, I think people over think about what they must have to have. People read a bunch of crap on the internet and feel they have to have the most powerful round they can buy for their gun. B.S.! get a good self defense round that you can put the bullet where you need to and call it good. If you feel the need for +P+, buy a bigger gun.

Good point R/C I shoot 124gn hydrashock it's not +P &shoot accurate

Oh, I know it's not necessarym -- for SD, I have some Hornady 124 grain. I've just never shot the higher pressured heavier rounds, and was curious about what was out there...
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Check out Cor-Bon DPX. It doesn't suck.

I'm understating it a bit.

First off, let me say there is nothing wrong with the P85 for a pistol. I owned a P89DC for several years and enjoyed it while I had it. Never had a problem with it. My favorite defensive load for any of my current or past 9mm's has been the Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P. The Ruger P series comes stock with an aluminum alloy frame, and an aluminum recoil rod last I knew. The Ruger P series of the past (no current experience), were in my opinion, of a semi-loose fitting tolerance. Granted, I put a heck of a lot more standard plinking ammo through my old P89 than I did PD ammo. Back in the day, personal defense with a pistol, hot loads, and carrying concealed were just coming over the horizon. Nowadays, plenty of hot, PD ammo is out there on the market. That in itself by no means says your pistol is outdated....but....if you shoot and contemplate carrying the currently available PD ammo, a stiffer, or higher rate recoil spring would probably be in your best interest. Your alloy pistol will take less of a beating on the slide and rails as well as the barrel lock up area. Your pistol will likely hold it's tolerances longer also. To answer another one of your questions.....I bought a brand new Norinco model 1911A1 when they first hit the market. I actually traded a Mauser HSC in 9mm kurtz (.380) in on the deal. I then proceeded to customize my new 1911 with all the best parts money could buy at the time. Some of them required fitting, and most were stainless steel. I made it into one hack of a shooter, and a nice, heavy carry around the farm. I had a total of three recoil spring weights for that on a full guide rod (required take-down was with an Allen wrench) I had a 16, 18, and 20lb spring for that, and swapped them out for my specific shooting scenarios. Needless to say, the 18lb spring worked best for most of my shooting activities with that particular pistol. Like I say...it's been years since I've had the Ruger P model, but if you get in the notion of a stiffer recoil spring, and there is one on the market, you might do well to try a variable power spring, or get a few in different weights until you find what works best for practice and generic loads, and functions well with your choice of PD loads. That may mean testing two or three springs until you find the sweet spot that will work with all you decide to put through it. Springs are cheap comparatively, but well worth the testing. I've also replaced my factory 20lb spring in the SIG P220 with another double wound spring of 22lbs over a solid stainless rod. Springs definitely do make a difference in functionality, felt recoil, and follow-up shots while at the same time saving wear and tear with hotter loads in your pistol. I hope I didn't confuse the issues.

Thank you very much, Ramrod; just what I was looking for.

Links