What do you use for plinking?

This is a discussion on What do you use for plinking? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, you have a day to spend in your backyard, or at the range with your favorite .22 for a day of relaxation and plinking. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you use for plinking?

So, you have a day to spend in your backyard, or at the range with your favorite .22 for a day of relaxation and plinking.

What do you shoot at?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Small targets, aluminum cans and large pieces of clay pigeons left from the shotgun time.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

This is the best time of the year for UPSTATERS to mess around in the backyard...

CIDER APPLES Get a bushel at your local orchard. Tell them what they are for and you can get them for practically nothing. Grrrreat for the backyard.. No clean-up.. Let the wildlife do it for you.. You wind up with a clean range when you wake up the next day with no cans plastic or paper plates to pick up.

Administrator
    cans, clays and cats. (Just kidding... I needed another "C")
    "Just blame Sixto"

Anything that breaks or jumps around when it's hit. Honestly, I don't think the good 'ole tincan has ever been improved upon!

No paper targets for a .22!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    cans, clays and cats. (Just kidding... I needed another "C")
    I thought for sure Criminals would have been in there.

Soup cans and clay pigeons stood up on edge for me as well.

Administrator
    When I was a kid, we would go out to the barn and shoot rodents. That was great for honing skills.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    When I was a kid, we would go out to the barn and shoot rodents. That was great for honing skills.

No barn, but oh for the good 'ole days when we used to be able to go out to the dump and shoot rats. Good stuff!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Small targets, aluminum cans and large pieces of clay pigeons left from the shotgun time.
    Pretty much the same here. Like those clear plastic water bottles with a bit of water left also. Take the Ruger 10/22's or the Remington 511. I'll plink in the back yard anytime I want if it's just the 22's although I've been known to test some of the 9mm +P on the backstop at 30'.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Golf balls, cans, printed paper targets... groundhogs and squirrels occasionally (groundhogs on sight, squirrels if they're being destructive).

Paper if sighting in, but after that, 1lb propane bottles, aluminum cans, shell casings, shotgun shells if spent I will stand them up on a board out to 100yds or so, if still loaded I will tape them to the top of a target stand and shoot the primer, golf balls are good, swinging targets, explosive targets, turtles, basically anything that is available and won't shoot back.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Paper if sighting in, but after that, 1lb propane bottles, aluminum cans, shell casings, shotgun shells if spent I will stand them up on a board out to 100yds or so, if still loaded I will tape them to the top of a target stand and shoot the primer, golf balls are good, swinging targets, explosive targets, turtles, basically anything that is available and won't shoot back.
    Why would you shoot a turtle? They are such innocuous peaceful little beasts.

As for my plinker, here it is...I started her on a diet of American Eagle but found that she likes the Federal 550 Value Pack from Wally World. Cant go wrong at $13.94 for 550 copper plated hollow points. They feed like butter. No issues at all.

I like paper targets, metal spinners, clay birds (in nifty little "Y" racks that my buddy made for me.), golf balls, soda cans and whatever else is laying around the gravel pit.

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Why would you shoot a turtle? They are such innocuous peaceful little beasts.
    Maybe it's a fast moving challenge!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Maybe it's a fast moving challenge!
    I get your attempt at humor but c'mon, a turtle? That's jive to shoot something that isn't a food source or a vermin.

Why would you harm the little guy? I can think of hundreds of better targets that aren't going to be deprived of God given life. Remember, the Lord sees everything. He knows when a sparrow falls in the forest. Think about that next time you are out plinking, and not hunting for life sustaining food or to rid your land of pestilence that negatively impacts your quality of life or the quality of life of your livestock.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links