Sound reducing test fire chamber

This is a discussion on Sound reducing test fire chamber within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Let me start off by saying I had a bad experience with my P3AT that has prompted this idea. After disassembling and cleaning any semi-auto ...

Thread: Sound reducing test fire chamber

Let me start off by saying I had a bad experience with my P3AT that has prompted this idea. After disassembling and cleaning any semi-auto carry gun, I like to fire a couple of rounds through it to make sure its functioning correctly. The range is 12 miles away and open only during daylight hours. I would like to test fire in my garage but don't want to take a chance of neighbors calling the law. So, has anyone built a sound reducing test firing chamber? I'm looking for ideas from someone who has ACTUALLY seen or used one, not just untested ideas. How do I build one? Anyone have plans? Or a link to a commercial one that is priced reasonable?

Never used one, never tried one, but I do know that the ATF does not treat them as silencers since they are not intended to be portable.

one good way to test to see if a firing pin will strike a primer is insert a pencil rubber tip down in the barrel of an unloaded !!!!!!!! firearm aim straight up then pull the trigger if the pencil shoots out of the gun your firing pin will set off a primer,you may want to do this before disassembly and that way you know how high to expact the pencil to pop up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thats a good idea dukalmighty, I never thought of that. That would test all but the loading and ejecting and they are pretty much a given thing unless I did major disassembly or mods/repairs. Not as much fun though :(
    Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by showmebob View Post
    Thats a good idea dukalmighty, I never thought of that. That would test all but the loading and ejecting and they are pretty much a given thing unless I did major disassembly or mods/repairs. Not as much fun though :(
    Thanks for the tip!
    I was taught that by someone else after he realised he pawned his 45 and was carrying it one day when he went to shoot it it went click,It was a colt series 80 and somebody had stripped his gun at the pawn shop and inserted the firing pin block backwards,he actually heard noises outside his house the night before and grabbed his gun prior to realising it was inoperable.He said i shoulda used the pencil test after the gun was outta my control.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

Be sure to check your local laws, and make sure there aren't any laws against firing within the home (other than for self-defense), firing near public roads, etc.

-JT

Dukalmighty

""one good way to test to see if a firing pin will strike a primer is insert a pencil rubber tip down in the barrel of an unloaded !!!!!!!! firearm aim straight up then pull the trigger if the pencil shoots out of the gun your firing pin will set off a primer,you may want to do this before disassembly and that way you know how high to expact the pencil to pop up""

I don't remember if it was Bill Jordan or not that used that method to practice proper trigger pull. With the firearm about six inches from
    a hard target, aim at a spot and keep practicing until the pencil point strikes the same point each time you fire.

Bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Dukalmighty

""one good way to test to see if a firing pin will strike a primer is insert a pencil rubber tip down in the barrel of an unloaded !!!!!!!! firearm aim straight up then pull the trigger if the pencil shoots out of the gun your firing pin will set off a primer,you may want to do this before disassembly and that way you know how high to expact the pencil to pop up""

I don't remember if it was Bill Jordan or not that used that method to practice proper trigger pull. With the firearm about six inches from
    a hard target, aim at a spot and keep practicing until the pencil point strikes the same point each time you fire.

Bosco
    Sure they can restrict our ammo but they won't get my gun til all my NO.2 pencils are gone

It seems counterintuitive to me, to test fire a clean gun, and then leave it dirty.
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Quote Originally Posted by xd.40sub View Post
    It seems counterintuitive to me, to test fire a clean gun, and then leave it dirty.
    I agree with you completely. However my reasoning is this. After cleaning my P3AT it appeared to function fine (dry fire). I carried for several days and then at the next range session the gun would not fire. The (hammer if that is what it is called) would not come back far enough to release. I sent the gun in for repairs and they replace several parts. The gun defect showing up after cleaning seemed to be coincidence only and not a matter of improper assembly after cleaning. Since that time I just seem to have the need to hear a bang after cleaning for reassurance. Thank God I didn't need the gun before the range session!
    I've shot about 400 rds since with a couple of cleanings and no problems what so ever. After cleaning and a reassurance fire I swab the barrel with cleaner and re-oil.
    Maybe with time the confidence will return....till then I like bang!

Sponsored Links