Guns and suicide - Page 2

Guns and suicide

This is a discussion on Guns and suicide within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The point that suicide by gun is "more effective" merely indicates that many who tried it... may NOT have been as serious. One Japanese suicide ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guns and suicide

The point that suicide by gun is "more effective" merely indicates that many who tried it... may NOT have been as serious.

One Japanese suicide every 15 minutes | World news | The Observer

In a country that BANS guns... it seems like one every 15 minutes IS a lot.

You can also check this out:

Japan suicides near record high in 2007
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    bah...... the reason more suicides are successful (!) with firearms is that it's pretty hard to screw it up that way.

I read a story a couple of years back about some guy who botched the job using a .45 ACP!! Talk about Captain Klutz!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I just don't see suicide as so bad. Sometimes it is selfish, but usually I say it's between them and them. There really are a lot of things worse than death.
    An uncle of mine did it a few years back. He was an old, sick widower whose kids were not worth a hill of beans to him so he took the short way home. Hey, its MY life and when I get to the point to where I don't think its worth living anymore then I should have the option to end it. One of my worst fears is being warehoused in some place where all they want is my monthly SS check and they make all my decisions for me, including when to change my dirty diaper. That ain't life, that's just existing.

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    bah....more anti propoganda. the reason more suicides are successful (!) with firearms is that it's pretty hard to screw it up that way. many more people have unsuccessful attempts with other methods, like pills, or wristcutting, or hanging. the only other nearly foolproof way is jumping. why doesn't the article state that building tall structures isn't necessarily wise? the writers of this article seem to want to ignore that fact, and place the blame on an object. why not ban razors, or bridges, or bathtubs, or sleeping pills, or ropes, or anything that gives off carbon monoxide?

the point is, people who are determined to die are going to find a way to do it. a gun is just easier than other methods.
    Yep! Plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by homepcmd View Post
    The point that suicide by gun is "more effective" merely indicates that many who tried it... may NOT have been as serious.
    And???

I'm just bothered that we spend huge amounts of $$$ to keep people alive that don't want to be, but can't give medical treatment to a whole lot or people that want it. (think about EMS and Emergency care, life support, legal costs, involuntary psychiatric commitment, etc)
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    An uncle of mine did it a few years back. He was an old, sick widower whose kids were not worth a hill of beans to him so he took the short way home. Hey, its MY life and when I get to the point to where I don't think its worth living anymore then I should have the option to end it. One of my worst fears is being warehoused in some place where all they want is my monthly SS check and they make all my decisions for me, including when to change my dirty diaper. That ain't life, that's just existing.
    I agree except that I don't even think its "just existing". It's rotting while waiting to die.

My wife's grandmother spent 20 years in a nursing home. We tried to go see her every other weekend (5 hour drive).

My wife pleaded with her to come stay with us but she refused because she didn't want to be a burden on us.

We watched her all that time. Except when the few relatives that visit would come, she sat in her wheel chair looking out the window, waiting to get taken to the bath room or fed or changed.

When her preacher would come and want to pray, she would say "OK but if you ask God to spare me, I'll smack you out of this room. I'm tired of living and am ready to go home when every God is ready to take me. I just wish he would hurry up".

She finally died just short of her 98th birthday.

Makes one reconsider suicide, doesn't it.

But if you are worried about a teen in your home, the common sense thing is to secure all firearms. Not a bad idea even if there are no suicidal people around you. Just good gun safety habits.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I think you guys have misted the point here. I didn't bother to read the suicide blah-blah. Yes if you have an emotional imbalanced teen in the house with weapons you have to be extra careful. Only firearm in service is on me, all others are unloaded or locked due to my kids. Cling-ON

have you ever met a teen who wasn't emotionally unbalanced? true enough, though. any guns not being carried should be secured, whether you have kids or not.

I had to put down a horse for my wife when it's Coggins test came back positive. No one wanted it and there were other horses on property surrounding our 400 acres. I used a .243 WSSM 95 gr bullet and it made me wish I could go that easy. She never knew what hit her. I've seen animals suffer while the vet tried to find a vein to give it a shot to kill it. This horse didn't suffer a bit.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    This horse didn't suffer a bit.

Human beings shouldn't either but if some doctor has a big boat payment...................

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bouquett View Post
    Human beings shouldn't either but if some doctor has a big boat payment...................
    :High Five:
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    The great question in life is, death.

I had two brothers in-law who were taken by cancer. One, when he knew he had only a few days left chose to blow his brains out. It was a relief I'm sure to him, to my sister, to my nephews and nieces, and to me. It was finally over. No more worrying.

Another brother in-law when he had 4 days left to live, somehow summoned up his strength and had a long humorous talk with my son about his upcoming wedding; giving my son the standard advice about about when to say "yes, mam." All the time.

He died only a few days later and I think in relative comfort and peace.

Everyone is different. Everyone has different views about the morality of suicide in these situations, and no one should judge. However, these are very different situations from the young adult or the teen who is suffering from medical depression and can not control their emotions or understand that problems go away.

Guns are not the problem causing suicides. Seat belts are.
    A old friend of mine just did himself in using the seat belt from his car. I don't know all the exact details but one thing is for sure. We need to ban seat belts! They cause suicide! We can't afford to have them to protect the general public if someone may use them for a purpose other than that which they were designed for.
    Anyone see the relation between guns and seat belts here?

If you are a Responsible firearm owner and ever decide to commit suicide, please remember the rest of us that will have to deal with the liberal gun-grabbers. If you are a Responsible firearm owner and ever decide to commit suicide, consistent with your belief in the right to "own and bear", please in consideration of the rest of us, choose a different method, and commit to never use a firearm.

When it comes to guns, only accidents concern me. It is always sad to hear about anyone who shot themselves or others (by accident) no matter how stupid. I don't care how a person takes their own life, I'm more concerned about the steps leading to that horrible choice. I'm sad when people take their lives, but it is no more sad if it happens with a rope, a gun, or peanut butter.

Households with bathtubs have an increased chance of drowning. Houses with stairs are more likely to have someone injure themselves falling. How much more likely are suicides by car exhaust for people who own cars? This makes motorists a danger to themselves (accidents and statistics show it does). Do toasters increase the odds of suicide by tub and toaster?

Often, statistics are what ever you want them to be. If you have children, or someone you live with has a problem, this is an important issue.
    Last edited by Thanis; September 8th, 2008 at 02:40 PM.

I think I have related this story before but... my first Wife, and mother of my only child, chose to take her own life with a gun. Not her first choice but ended up being the effective choice. She first attempted to save up sleeping pills and took an overdose (she thought) but when she woke up the next morning and both I and my then 10 year old Son went off to take him to day camp she retrieved my .38 Revolver from my safe and went out in the back yard and sat down and shot herself in the chest.

If they really want to do it they will find a way.

By the way, even though scars still remain my kid is doing well. He is now 22 and a Police Officer, married to a School Teacher and they are about to make me a Grandfather. It is a shame that she missed all this. And it was very selfish of her to have left a Son without his mother.

However it is obvious to me that if there was a more efficient method than a Gun available to them they would chose the Gun only as a last resort.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links