Guns and suicide

This is a discussion on Guns and suicide within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well this is a morbid thread......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Guns and suicide

Well this is a morbid thread...
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    ...However it is obvious to me that if there was a more efficient method than a Gun available to them they would chose the Gun only as a last resort.
    True.

Sorry for your loss. GJ with your son. I can't imagine.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    My point was that with the right gun it's not a bad way to go.
    Have you tried it? Ever see someone who has tried it? Just curious how you could know that it isn't a bad way to go.

IMO some should keep their thoughts to themselves because they don't have a clue about what they are talking about. Some of us have been there and know a bit more about the subject of suicide and particularly suicide with a gun.

Far from victimless as well. So I call BS on that aspect of some people's thinking.

I doubt I could change any minds here. So ya'll just continue on about how suicide isn't so bad, and hurts no one else. Also how shooting a horse is like shooting yourself.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My couson who was like my bro tried his best to suicide by " cop " . He failed on that . He did suicide by going under the trailer of a semi ( nothing that driver could have stopped ) . Folks if you want to suicide well as a news flash , a gun may well be a handy way that might be close to hand . Myself i would go for pills . Guns are messy , and they dont allways do what you would wish . If i am going to put faith into an area that " wont do what you wish " i will rely on pharmaceuticals. At least then i can " look good " while i drool another 40 years or so and everyone around me regrets what they did not do for me . Suicide is not about a call for help , it is about not having the intestinal fortitude to stand up to your choices . Hell hand you got a problem well PM me , or whoever you like , but pm us . I am a certified bad guy who wont cut you slack , but .... but ... well hell .... PM if you want , i dont know that i will understand , but if we talk on the phone (and i will call you ) . you just might consider things a bit otherwise .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    ...Far from victimless as well...
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    ...Suicide is not about a call for help , it is about not having the intestinal fortitude to stand up to your choices...
    Sorry about you cousin.

I can't agree that suicide is "not a call for help." I don't think all suicide is a call for help, but I'm also sure some or several suicides are.

I had an acquaintance that would play russian roulette because he was scared of the randomness of death (what he told me). He would take pills, etc. It was a call for help, and he received that help. He had trouble not being in control. He had the intestinal fortitude to stand up to his choices, it was what he could not control that got to him. I'm sure there are other examples.

I don't know him that well now. I don't think he likes to be reminded of his teen years. He is a good man, with a wife, and children. For the most part, he grew out of it. The teen years were hard on him. I'm sure it is on the back of his mind and those around him. But sometimes it is not a lack of character. It is an irrational call for help.

IMHO

I lost my youngest son to a self inflicted gun shot. I am not mad at the gun nor am I mad at him. I am very sad he took his life and did not reach out for help but something broke. If the gun was not there, I am sure at that point he would have found a different method. He even went to the trouble of calling 911 and leaveing an open line so they would respond. He walked into the woods in back of his house and shot himself within 2 minutes. It was a planned and thought out action of an irrational person. We had to have a closed casket and he was not recognizable. It has been almost 2 years and I miss him GREATLY. It's not the gun. He broke. If we were there we may have prevented it at that time but something broke and if he could not see it, then he could not have accepted the help. I will love him forever.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Paul, just trust in the fact that you never probably could have known and probably could not have done anything about it. They are responsible for thier own actions. They don't even realize the way that "they think" is abnormal you see? They think it is normal because its all they have ever known. I am speaking of Depression here. What is normal to them is not the same as normal. So they often do not realize the hurt and pain they feel all the time is not normal. I know that sounds crazy but... it is what it is...

Time will heal Paul and the hurt will lessen.

Who says there are no Victims of Suicide?

Thank you. I understand but it still hurts. People keep asking how I can continue to shoot. I tell them - It was Jeff, not the gun.
    Live goes on - a little sad and a little empty for the entire family but it goes on. Thanks again.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Oh it will hurt no doubt. For quite some time but it will lessen, and at some point, many years down the line you will find it does not enter your mind ever few hours but every few days... and then perhaps not but ever few weeks or so.... and you'll make peace with him and yourself. But put aside any guilt of anyone else, including yourself. It is NOT your fault. It is no ones fault.

It is very often the first reaction to try and figure out why. And then comes the trying to place blame. All a waste of time and effort really but it a natural progression in the grieving process of victims of suicide. You'll be real surprised if you do some investigation about Depression and talk with some other families who have experienced it, how similar you experiences were to theirs. There are some support groups that it would be helpful to investigate.

Then eventually you find that there is no one to blame but them. It is

And it simply is no ones fault and it makes no sense and it never will be clear and precise why. It just is.

It is an interesting statistic that many of those that suffer from Depression are some of the brightest and most intelligent. It is a disorder of brain chemistry. It is a disease not an "action" really. And what makes it doubly difficult for us, the families of the afflicted, is that they are extremely smart about hiding their thoughts and actions. And so they sort of doom themselves to their fate. We are not smart enough to pick up on the small little tip offs that we now look back on and wish we had of realized what they really meant. But.... thats not our fault! We simply didn't know... and they seemed so minor to us. Seemed rather normal in fact. So... quit kicking yourself and him over it. Have a good life.

I too continue to shoot. I continue to collect. I also don't blame the gun. I did however get rid of "that" gun but I kept teaching my kid to shoot and hunt and he, in fact, make a living with a gun even now. Ironic I guess... but not really so.

My Paternal Grandfather committed suicide in 1983 1 month after the death of my Grandmother who suffered congenital heart failure. My Father was crushed when this happened and became a huge anti-gunner forever after.

I addressed the problem with having weapons around by purchasing a 1200 pound Fort Knox Safe, of which I am the only person alive that knows the combination. the only loaded weapon that is outside the safe at any given time is my primary carry weapon, which is under my direct supervision at all times.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I have often wondered what I would do, or change, if someone I know and love used one of my firearms to kill themselves. I have no idea. If this did happen, what would you do with the gun?

Suicide is not about a call for help , it is about not having the intestinal fortitude to stand up to your choices .
    Disagree totally and there is no such thing as attempted suicide. Some people have decided for some reason they want to die and make sure they do. Many do not really want to die but don't know any other way to ask for help but to appear to try to kill themselves but leave a way out. My Aunt tried three times but never serious enough to actually kill herself. She wanted attention and that was a way of getting it.

A close friend of mine went into his garage one morning about 5am and put a .357 to his head. That is when I realized that I was on the verge of doing it also. Very few actually want to die but don't see a way out and lose control of themselves.

To paul45, it will hurt and probably forever and your statement "I will love him forever" means a lot. Many people don't have a parent that can say that. I have told my children that no matter what they do I will always love them. I may nor agree with them and get disappointed in them but will always love them. You are correct that it was not the gun but something we don't understand.

Note to add: My experience with those thoughts were over 15 years ago and once I realized what I was thinking I broke out of it. Realization can be a powerful thing.

I gave it to a dealer friend to sell it and send the money to the tennis charity scholarship set up in my son's name. 7mm mag Rem 700 if it makes a difference. The State Police offered to destroy it but it was not the gun - it was my son. We got some good from the sale - we would have gotten nothing from destroying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    I have often wondered what I would do, or change, if someone I know and love used one of my firearms to kill themselves. I have no idea. If this did happen, what would you do with the gun?
    I would beat it into a pile of molten metal. Not that I would blame the gun but to allow me to take out my frustrations on something inanimate.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links