Guns and suicide

This is a discussion on Guns and suicide within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Everyone should go to The New England Journal of Medicine: Research & Review Articles on Diseases & Clinical Practice and read the Perspective article on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guns and suicide

Guns and suicide

Everyone should go to The New England Journal of Medicine: Research & Review Articles on Diseases & Clinical Practice and read the Perspective article on guns and suicide in the Sept 4 issue of the New England Jounal of Medicine.

I know we all keep guns loaded and locked, right?
    I have one occasionally angst-filled teen, and this is a reminder to be certain that unintended access to my guns is never possible.

2. Remove Ads

bah....more anti propoganda. the reason more suicides are successful (!) with firearms is that it's pretty hard to screw it up that way. many more people have unsuccessful attempts with other methods, like pills, or wristcutting, or hanging. the only other nearly foolproof way is jumping. why doesn't the article state that building tall structures isn't necessarily wise? the writers of this article seem to want to ignore that fact, and place the blame on an object. why not ban razors, or bridges, or bathtubs, or sleeping pills, or ropes, or anything that gives off carbon monoxide?

the point is, people who are determined to die are going to find a way to do it. a gun is just easier than other methods.

jahwarrior hit the bullseye. All other means of killing oneself are slow drawn out processes. There is a lot time for things to go wrong and a lot of time for the individual to think about what they are doing, get scared, and chicken out. You don't have that time with a gun, pull the trigger and within a fraction of a second your brains are scrambled. Not too many people survive a bullet through the brain and the ones that do live out their lives as a turnip. As for jumping - hell no!!! I don't like heights and the thought of jumping and that long drop give me the heebee jeebees!
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

If they use a gun they are serious about it,other methods are sometimes a cry for help they take a bunch of pills then call 911,you can't shoot yourself in the head and usually dial 911
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yep, that pretty much sums it up, most that try suicide with a gun don't get a second chance. Many others trying different means yet multiple shots at it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Curious what suicide rate comparisons there are with other country's that restrict guns?

Rick

I just don't see suicide as so bad. Sometimes it is selfish, but usually I say it's between them and them. There really are a lot of things worse than death.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

wpk
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Curious what suicide rate comparisons there are with other country's that restrict guns?

Rick
    Japan has the highest suicide rate in the world among industrialized nations, and pretty much the strictest gun control among democratic nations as well. So, I'd say it doesn't really matter what tool you use when you want to off yourself.

Source: Japanese Gun Control

EDIT: The whole article is actually a pretty good read, sources are cited.

This reminds me of a Darwin award I read. A French man Apparently didn't trust the liability of most suicide practices, so he tried multiple methods at once. Standing at a cliff: he tied a rope to his neck, attached to a nearby tree or rock (can't remember), holding a gun in one hand and some poison pills in the other. He downed the pills, jumped, and shot himself all at once. He missed with the bullet; the bullet hit and broke the rope, he plunged into the freezing cold water, the shock from that made him throw up, vomiting up the pills. He later died on the way to the hospital in the ambulance from shock from the cold water.

BAC
    Heh. Suicide-via-firearm is probably one of the better ways one can go, given the more commonly-used (and frequetly unsuccessful) options.

That thought aside, yes, rate of successful suicides is much higher with firearms because they work; that is, after all, why so many of us keep and carry them. Others have said that before, so no sense elaborating on it. Keep in mind that great northern neighbor of ours, too. When Canada cracked down on firearms ownership, firearm suicides dropped while hangings soared, and other forms of suicide all rose slightly.

When you're talking about statistics on the "dangers" of keeping a firearm, you must exclude suicides and criminal possession. Failing to do so is what we call "intellectually dishonest".

-B

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I just don't see suicide as so bad. Sometimes it is selfish, but usually I say it's between them and them. There really are a lot of things worse than death.
    +1 ... I agree.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I think you guys have missed the point here. I didn't bother to read the suicide blah-blah. Yes if you have an emotional imbalanced teen in the house with weapons you have to be extra careful. Only firearm in service is on me, all others are unloaded or locked due to my kids. Cling-ON

My concern would be my kid screwing up her misplaced cry for attention, and actually killing herself. I'm still young enough to recall the strong impulses I had when I was 16, and how mad/vengeful/stupid I could get in about .4 seconds (maybe .3, can't be sure). But I agree, if you're serious, there's always a way to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I think you guys have misted the point here. I didn't bother to read the suicide blah-blah. Yes if you have an emotional imbalanced teen in the house with weapons you have to be extra careful. Only firearm in service is on me, all others are unloaded or locked due to my kids. Cling-ON
    Wouldn't this pretty much be common sense to a responsible gun owner?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

To get stats on various countries (assuming you trust WHO stats):

WHO | Country reports and charts available

It's interesting when one sees the breakdown.
    “We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm” - George Orwell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links